Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Ecler EVO 5 and Virtual DJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
OK, for those of you looking for a new mixer, that also haves a high end audio card. Look no further. THe Ecler NUO 5 has it all. I just hooked mine up last night, and with a fresh install of Virtual DJ and the the drivers. The TimeCode works flawlessly. The nice thing about it, is that the EVO 5 does everything internal, so with your timecode going to one of the channels, you can even use any of the great selection of effects the EVO 5 comes with. This is awesome.
I will be doing some MIDI mappings and best configurations settings within Virtual DJ for the Ecler EVO 5. So once its done hopefully I can have it in the downloads section here.
So for those that were waiting to see if this would work with Virtual DJ it does, and works great! With having this, Ill be selling my Pioneer EFX 1000.

Posted Sun 09 Dec 07 @ 11:54 am
Does it have internal soundcard?

Posted Sun 09 Dec 07 @ 1:08 pm
Dj-in-NORWAY> Yes it has internal soundcard. you can read more about it at http://www.evobyecler.com.........It was certifired Traktor Scratch, however with setting the channels to (TS Traktor Scratch (they should of just called it TC for TimeCode)) it will read the timecode, but yet still allow you to apply effects from its internal effects unit, which allows you to combine 2 effects and make something entirely new. Latency, I can set Virtual DJ to 1ms (the lowest and I dont have any issues what so ever). Not only that all the midi features this thing has, and ease of use. Takes little time to get familiar with it, but once you do...You can do alot with this thing. You can even create your own effects and save them and trade them with other people.
Its also nice not having another device (sound card) to plug into computer.

Posted Sun 09 Dec 07 @ 3:57 pm

sounds like a great mixer ;) Might be gettin one too

Posted Sun 09 Dec 07 @ 4:07 pm
bobbiePRO InfinityMember since 2003
at 1600€ it's not exaclty cheap, but it has a lot of features.

Posted Sun 09 Dec 07 @ 4:10 pm
bobbie wrote :
at 1600€ it's not exaclty cheap.

damn, thats quite expensive..

Posted Sun 09 Dec 07 @ 4:23 pm

But I think I'm getting it ... even with that price, IF it has a soundcard incluced..

I was planning on getting Nuo4, but with this new beast out, I migth as well go that way...

How does the soundcard work ? I looked at the back, and I see USB.. Will it show as a dual soundcard from that connection or ?

Posted Sun 09 Dec 07 @ 7:51 pm
Norway> its not USB, its a FIREWIRE sound card. It works great. Also if your interested I could probably pick you up one here in the states cheaper. With the US Dollar being worth shit these days, I think it would be cheaper converting the Euro to us Dollars and than shipping it to Europe. The mixer comes with power adapters that work in the states and Europe.
The audio on this thing is awesome, I compare it to my Motu Ultralite that I had. However right now this mixer had the best sound card out there. Take a look at the specs on Eclers website.
And if you order one, by than I should have a midi map for Virtual DJ and all you will have to do is plug and play! Just gotta look for a bigger coffin now with wheels, and be able to put turntables in battle position.
I think one of the sickest features tho with this thing is the abilitiy to play your sound code, and from within the mixer itself use all the effects and has no effect on the timecode.
So if your playing with a laptop and have everything in a coffin, all you will have running to computer is firewire cable, and your XLR connectors to your speaker outputs and also your MIC (which I havent messed with yet, but the mic is suppose to have alot of cool effects as well)

Oh price on the ECLER EVO 5 here in the us is $1899. However if you broke it down to Mixer+HighEnd SoundCard+Effects unit, it is cheaper. MY NUO4 was $725+ Motu Ultralite $500.+ Pioneer EFX 1000 $625. So now all this is combined into one nice unit.

Posted Sun 09 Dec 07 @ 10:30 pm
this is too much money my god!

Posted Mon 10 Dec 07 @ 1:40 am
Well i'm not impressed! it's ok for the guys that use TC's but for me i need play, cue n jog wheels.

Posted Mon 10 Dec 07 @ 2:05 am
jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Finally some vdj user has bought ecler evo 5! I think it is like dream-come-true-mixer!
Interesting question is that can VDJ send midi messages to the mixer? Ie. BPM value and audio/video effect names for the mixer display? Maybe there is a need for customized mapper as with DAC-3 and other controllers?

Posted Mon 10 Dec 07 @ 3:10 am
jaako> that is true, the mixer will take midi mappings from computer, and you can send midi from the mixer.There alot you can do with this thing. However the only gripe that I really had was they should of spaced the crossfader a little ways from the volume controls of the 5 channels for those that like to scratch. However you can easlity move channles 2 and 3 up out of the way when scratching.
I havent done a whole lot with thins thing besides hook it up to virtual DJ and get the timecode working, however this week Ill be maping all the midi, and also making midi mapping for those that dont have TimeCode. You can run Multi-Instance of Virtual DJ and have 4 decks runnings with this beast. I think the thing I like the best with this mixer is the effects on top of effects features. This gives way to lots of cool effects that people havent heard of before.

Posted Mon 10 Dec 07 @ 8:08 am
jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Yep! To get best out of effects, BPM value should be read from VDJ. I don't scratch nor use TCCD nor TCV, I am mostly interesting in midi mapping possibilities.

What i really like to see is ability to display deck and effects information on mixer's display. Can you manage the mixer to display all the information? For example if you map choose_video_effect knob, mixer would display the name of the effect when you touch the knob etc. Is it possible?

Currently I can only dream about this mixer. I may have enough money to buy it on spring 2008 or so.... :/

Posted Mon 10 Dec 07 @ 8:26 am
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
@funnyb0nz

I've been watching this one for a while. Can you do me a favor and download the latency checker from the tools section of this site and report back on the latency? What's the lowest latency you can push through using the evo5's sound card?

I've been trying to decide if I should get the evo5 or get a better soundcard and a allen&heath xone:3d. I'm most concerned about the latency issue because i seek 1ms in a stable environment. afaik the architecture of firewire cannot permit this, so im looking for express card based system.

plus i dont really like ecler mixers from experience, they dont sound as nice as a&h. But ive heard great things about the evo5, so it has tweaked my curiosity...

thanks for posting this. more info greatly appreciated...

Posted Mon 10 Dec 07 @ 12:38 pm
paz75> I am running this with 1ms Latency and no problems. Soundcard I used with my Ecler NUO4 was Motu Ultralite. I ran with 1ms as well.
The EVO 5 is a great mixer, I bought it because I have had no issues with the NUO 4 and figured the EVO 5 has to be good.

Posted Mon 10 Dec 07 @ 7:18 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Yeah, nice one. But you know, you get opinions about certain brands and you get stuck with them...

Im definitley interested in the evo5. Would still like to see what the latency checker outputs if thats okay with you.

The only thing thats keeping me from buying one is that I would still need a soundcard. I play clubs quite regular and its not always cool to show up with your own mixer... Been looking at a RME Hamerfall card for some time... But the chance of removing analog connections between laptop, mixer and output is also very tempting... argh just cant decide

Posted Mon 10 Dec 07 @ 9:22 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)