Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Flac Support, Is It Going To To Be Implemented

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all

FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is great if you want save harddrive space and keep your PERFECT WAV's in there original recorded condition / format.

I have been playing with this codec for about 10 months and in this time it is becomming much more popular and seems to be the way forward.

Anything to get rid of crappy MP3's and have a codec that keeps your music in a original untouch format !

Will there please be any support for FLAC in VDJ, almost a year has passed while I have been playing with flac and nothing and no mention.

I know you can use external plugins for windows, but how about true native support in Virtual DJ

Regards

John

Posted Fri 09 Nov 07 @ 8:41 am
a13nHome userMember since 2007
Yeah, flac is great.
I also wish djs will upload their mix with flac format.

Posted Fri 09 Nov 07 @ 12:12 pm
I have a question about flac (here in germany i never heard anythink about this format). So what i know is, that it has the same audio quality like wav, but the files are smaller. My question: How big is a song with 3-4 minutes in MB with the flac format?

Posted Fri 09 Nov 07 @ 12:15 pm
Hi

Just compressed a 45 meg wav file to Flac and the flac file is 30meg (saved 15 meg)

Ok not a great saving in size but quality is never lost and that is far mor important to me that the size

at the moment I use wavs so any saving in size will be a benifit and I hate going to bars and club and hearing screechy Crappy MP3

There is so much great music from different decades and what a pitty when you hear the crappy mp3 quality.

It's taken me years to get my records over to PC, I'm not cutting corners anywhere in the process with the audio equipment, so why should I then mess the final part up (if I choose crappy mp3 format to save) !!!

Other advantages of flac over wav is not only size compression but you can tag !! (which means you can save more text info for a given audio file) i.e. year, bpm, comment etc.

Another advantage is the codec is public source which means its free here have a look (o'#o')

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

Download it try it every DJ should be going this way ! Its the only way the quality of your music will be keep high with a compressed format.

If a jobs worth doing, lets do it properly.

Regards

John

Posted Fri 09 Nov 07 @ 1:21 pm
Badboy360 wrote :
I have a question about flac (here in germany i never heard anythink about this format). So what i know is, that it has the same audio quality like wav, but the files are smaller. My question: How big is a song with 3-4 minutes in MB with the flac format?

The size will vary, since flac is a vbr file of sorts. It all depends on the original. If the original file is 1111, it can store it as 4x1, thus saving one bit. if it has a repeating 110110110110110, it can store that in 3 bits instead of 15. Now this isn't exactly haw it works, but I just wanted to give you a visual representation. I find that flac overall saves anywhere from 20% to around 45% of disc space.

Posted Fri 09 Nov 07 @ 2:32 pm

Posted Fri 09 Nov 07 @ 2:35 pm
Yepp now i know, thanks for the answers. Look very interesting and big hard disks are very cheap today. Hope the online stores starts flac support in the nearly future, think i go this route now with my own ripped vinyl/cds. Many thanks

Posted Sat 10 Nov 07 @ 1:13 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Just installl the codec on your computer
Then use the "General Windows MediaPlayer audio decoder" in the VirtualDJ list of codecs

Posted Sat 10 Nov 07 @ 3:21 pm
bobbiePRO InfinityMember since 2003
What's needed now is the support of reading of FLAC tags

Posted Sat 10 Nov 07 @ 7:10 pm
Hi

Flac just keeps getting better for Virtual DJ

Where I have my music collection in wavs, by encoding them to flac I now notice the flies load quicker into Virtual DJ

I will be using esata when working on the final setup, at the moment I am using a usb extenal pro freecom drive (very good external drive)

When loading files into virtual DJ a 12" wav file takes about 6/7 seconds, the same file in flac takes 2/3 seconds

Which is strange as i thought it would take longer for a flac because it had to uncompress it ? but I think its quicker because
its smaller

anyway.... another great reason for using flac

regards

john

Posted Sat 10 Nov 07 @ 7:59 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)