Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Rackmount controller (Vote please)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I started a few months ago building a rackmount gig. I left the controller for last thing, because i decided to wait for the Denon HC4500. Well i am still confused, and i don't know if i'm doing the best thing. DAC-3 and DMC2 are also on my mind. Which of these three controlers would you reccomend me?
Money is not the point since they have similar prices. Denon wins a round for the built-in ASIO soundcard, and DMC2 wins another round for its native support of VDJ. What about the dac-3? Is there a mapper that i can make it run smoothly, ot are there problems in that? Leds and text display are running on both of them? Will this also happen with the Denon? I 'm about to spend allmost 500 euros for this, so please try to help me. I need to make a decision until the end of the month. Quality and stability is the issue for me.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 07 @ 4:10 pm
Only from Personal experience

DMC2

The only real advantages the Denon has over the DMC2 is: touch sensitivity & built in soundcard.

Everything else is subjective.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 07 @ 5:05 pm
I'm with Marcel, DMC2 all the way, I love mine.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 07 @ 5:33 pm
I would strongly recommend the DMC-2. This controller has been designed for VDJ/Cue, has both good native support and custom mapper available and has dedicated video/audio crossfading buttons.

However, the Denon HC4500 is well worth considering if touch-sensitive jogwheels, built-in soundcard or the ability to control an external Denon dual-CD player unit is important to you. However, because it's a new controller, it currently has limited native support (As far as I'm aware) and there are no custom mappers available yet (I plan to do one once I can get hold of a HC4500.) Custom mapping with MIDI is of course possible, but you will not have working LED's and text displays, so will only have part of the functionality that this controller offers.

The DAC-3 was good in its time, but is getting a bit dated now. Unlike the DMC-2 and Denon HC4500, it does not have text displays (Only shows time remaining, pitch %/BPM, etc.) It does has native support and of course a custom mapper from myself (Recommended to get the best performance out of this controller.)

Posted Mon 15 Oct 07 @ 7:29 pm
It sucks that the DMC2 doesn't have touch sensitive jog wheels. If it did I wouldn't even bother with the Denon.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 07 @ 9:05 pm
CanSpoilU wrote :
It sucks that the DMC2 doesn't have touch sensitive jog wheels. If it did I wouldn't even bother with the Denon.

I have the DAC 3 and DMC2, and as JB has said, the DAC 3 is dated, and is sitting on the bench like a back up quarterback. The DMC2 works great for me, and JB's mapper pushes it over the top. Since you have a little time, wait and see how the Denon pans out. They have a great reputation, and it looks like a very versatile controller. I just wish it had a third stereo out, for my sample bank. My Wave-terminal has 3 outs and my Gigaport has 4 outs.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 07 @ 9:45 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Something i read for the Denon in this forum and i liked ..."It is built like a tank" ...
Ok that comment was from DenonDj, but i trust Denon and have no reason not to believe him.
But Dmc2 should have good built quality too.
No vote for the Dac3..

Posted Tue 16 Oct 07 @ 2:23 am
Funky-TPRO InfinityMember since 2006
DMC3 all the way....

Posted Tue 16 Oct 07 @ 4:39 am
Hey Guys,

I have both the DMC-2 & DAC-3 and to be honest i love them, so easy to use and with some of the mappers you can get just really put it over the top for me.

i like the ease and functionality of them and my staff are allways requesting the systems with those controlers in them.

If i really had to pick between the two i think i would still choose the DMC-2.

Posted Fri 23 Nov 07 @ 5:49 am
DMC-2 i love, too

Posted Fri 23 Nov 07 @ 9:44 am
I have always had issues with the Denon stuff other than the DNS 5000 i used to have, thet have a problem with the buttons always have had and still do. Take the 500 900 x + 1500 mixers the cue n mic on and off buttons burn out in only a year i had all three and they all got ebayed.

2 bad technics don't really make anything anymore.

Posted Fri 23 Nov 07 @ 2:00 pm
dac3+JB's mapper is gret

Posted Fri 23 Nov 07 @ 10:49 pm
hey guys,

the numark's dmc-2 is awesome and works great for me.

i've already posted a comment about the denon thingy and it turns out that there is a virtual dj mapper for it, and skin, and a whole bunch of other stuff. the only thing is: it was built for pcdj... i wonder if numark had any type of a special contract with virtual dj..

however, it wasn't bulit for virtual dj. and the sounds card is only 2 L+R rca out. no tiimecode input, no sampler on it's own channel output either.

the numakrs dmc-2 + it's virtual vinyl soundcard is the best choice. beware: this combo requires 2 usb slots.

any other q's?

DJ Shahar
www.djshahar.com

Posted Fri 23 Nov 07 @ 11:09 pm
djkz wrote :
i've already posted a comment about the denon thingy and it turns out that there is a virtual dj mapper for it

I'm developing a mapper for the Denon HC4500, but it's not finished yet. Native support for the Denon doesn't work very well at the moment, but should improve with updates to VDJ and/or the finished mapper.

It works well as a MIDI controller only though, but you won't get any working LED's or displays.

Also, unlike the DAC-3, the HC4500 was not built specifically for PCDJ. It's layout is based on a Denon CD player with functions similar to those found on one. These can be mapped to anything appropriately in the software being used.

The Numark DMC-2 works very well with VDJ and there is also a mapper available for it too (From myself.) It's layout was designed with Numark Cue/VirtualDJ in mind. Video DJ's may find the dedicated video crossfading buttons very useful.

NOTE: Both the DMC-2 and HC4500 require an external power supply unlike the DAC-3.

Posted Sat 24 Nov 07 @ 6:51 pm
dmc2 all the way and with jpboggis mapper cant beat it

Posted Sun 25 Nov 07 @ 12:12 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)