Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Question About VDJ 5 Database

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi all,

I've downloaded the demo of VD5, and I'm going to purchase it. Here is my question.

I noticed the database is saved on my external harddrive ( which my music files are stored ) and not my Laptops harddrive where the VDJ is stored. Why is the database saved on my external. Surely this is not right ???

I'm confused.

Jimmy B

Posted Mon 15 Oct 07 @ 12:18 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
The place the datebase is stored was changed in v5..this was to work better with Vista. Also the database on your ext HD is so you can bring just your hard drive to another venue using v5 and hot swap your ext HD and all your cue points and such will be saved.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 07 @ 12:45 am
Thanks, TearEmUp,

I can See the sense in that, But does that mean VDJ will not run right if I do not have my external HD attach to my laptop and just run of the Music files I have on my Laptop HD. Forgive me if this is a daft question.

Also can I change where the database is stored if I want to.

Jimmy b

Posted Mon 15 Oct 07 @ 12:52 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
No, your VDJ should run fine.....I swap my ext HDs back and forth all the time.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 07 @ 1:07 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
jimmy b wrote :
I can See the sense in that, But does that mean VDJ will not run right if I do not have my external HD attach to my laptop and just run of the Music files I have on my Laptop HD. Forgive me if this is a daft question.

As TearEmUp said, VDJ will run fine - but as you mentioned - if you don't have your external connected the only Database info and tracks available will be the ones stored locally on your internal harddrive.

jimmy b wrote :
Also can I change where the database is stored if I want to.

No, the database locations are key. If moved then VirtualDJ will not be able to find the information necessary and create fresh databases back in the proper locations.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 07 @ 1:41 am

Cheer's cstoll

You are the man :)

I will be purchasing VDJ 5 for certain now, when my new Bank card comes, Damned postal Strike. ( I live in England )

Jimmy b

Posted Mon 15 Oct 07 @ 1:47 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)