Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Looking for new latop to run VDJ (Thinking Dell Vostra)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

k, so my current laptop (Averatec 7170) looked like a good idea, it had a big nice screen, 100 gb HD, 1gig ram, decent cpu, but there is one problem. The think over heats, ALL THETIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freakin hate it. Happened twice already, the damn thing just gets too damn hot, and shuts down. VDJ Also had its run of problems when I did use the laptop, the screen would freeze, but the music would keep playing. Thank god I had my little MP3 player that I use in the gym, hooked it up real quick and restarted the laptop went straight to VDJ and finished the night. But for real...

I'm sick of VDJ freezing on me. Its happened to me atleast once a weekend, i'll be playing a nice set, and in the middle of me looking for a song, the damn thing just doesn't respond anymore. NOTHING responds to the mouse, but the mucis keeps playing.
(Know what, i'll just save the rest of the details for another post)

Back to the laptop choice, I don't plan on doing video with my next laptop, but I want something that is cheap($1000 - +) and stays COOOOL

I like the look of the Vostra, because it has these HUGE fan ducks on the side, making me think that it runs pretty cool, plus its a 'business' laptop, and anything 'business' has got to have a notch up on reliability.

Any good suggestions in the $1000 range?

Posted Sat 13 Oct 07 @ 12:07 am

Think all of the above problems have same source : HEAT

Heat will make your PC unresposive, program freeze, screen not refresh, and eventually the PC will lock itself down, to prevent the CPU from buring up.

Either your current PC is very poorly made, your fans full of dust or something wrong with cpu (fabric error).

One thing you can check yourself is the fans, if they are full of dust ,so no free air comes in.

Secondly, when you do gig, is EXTREMELY important to have the laptop elevated, to let it have free air, since so many damn stupid laptop makers put the fans underneath the laptop.

Your best friend :

good for laptop, good for you (no need to bend into the laptop looking stupid), and cool.... (mixer underneath the laptop)

Posted Sat 13 Oct 07 @ 12:16 am
to show the imporance of air flow

Posted Sat 13 Oct 07 @ 12:17 am
Word. Well, thats actually how I got through my last gig, the freakin thing froze up on me, and I had to STAND it up, inorder for the heat to rise and flow out of the chassis. The computer is only 5 months old, and I checked the fan and it is spinning. Unlike my first averatec, which I loved dearly, and wish I had never sold, this one is a piece of shit. So, I can either bite the dust, and get another one, or stick it out with this one and maybe look to some cooling options. Where do I get those elevated mounts? what about cooling pads, should I look into those?

(Shit man, I think I may just want to get another laptop, but I JUST went through this decission process like 6 months ago.)

Posted Sat 13 Oct 07 @ 12:27 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
norway nice subliminal mac adverts lol

Posted Sat 13 Oct 07 @ 12:45 am

Posted Sat 13 Oct 07 @ 12:52 am

So I went to bestbuy last night, since I have a gig today, and bought this.
Friggin rip off at $45, but what ever.

I am happy to say that at the moment I am typing this post, the laptop is analyzing over 2.3 gigs of 80s music that I got last night from a DJ buddy of mine, and it still hasn't shut off on me.(Normally I would get through like 20 or 30 songs, and the lappy would just shut down) In fact, tis actually staying kinda cool!! I feel the exhaust, and it is spitting out hot air, and the intake fan is taking in cool air.

(Note: Yes, it was a summer gig at night, and it was outside, and REAL humid the times that it shut off on me, but it also did it in my basement witht he AC on, so i'm not so sure that ambient temp is the determining factor. I thought the fan was busted, but I can feel it pumping now)

Posted Sat 13 Oct 07 @ 8:09 pm

sound great! ;) think you did a wise choice ;)

Posted Sat 13 Oct 07 @ 8:27 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)