Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: does anyone have the korg zero 4 or the makie d.4 pro yet???

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

i want o buy one of these mixers but i don't know which one! i like the fact that they have built in sound cards and that there midi enabled!!! i would like to have more buttons to map out cues and such but i can deal with keyboard shortcuts. so does anyone have these mixers or used them with vdj before? thanks

Posted Thu 27 Sep 07 @ 2:42 am
I'm not sure the Mackie D4 is midi mappable, basically the firewire option is to hook up your TTs or CD decks to your PC through the connectors.
if your looking for a midi mixer take a look at the Nuo4 and if you have the big bucks the DJM800 from Pioneer.

Posted Thu 27 Sep 07 @ 5:12 am
the only thing with those mixers is that they don't have built in multi channel sound cards. The pioneer would be perfect but i'll need a 4 channel sound card cause i want to use vdj in multi instance mode so i can have 4 decks going at the same time!!!! i read that the nuo4 only has 2 channels that can be midi mapped??? is that tru?

Posted Thu 27 Sep 07 @ 11:46 pm
McQ714PRO InfinityMember since 2003
i've got the zero 4. it's a great mixer... clean sound, smooth controls, and tons of options. i've talked to a lot of people that weren't sure how good it would be considering Korg is new to the "mixer" market but they make great pro audio gear and midi gear so it just makes sense. the only issue that i have with the mixer is that Korg hasn't made drivers that are 64-bit vista compatible yet so i haven't been able to run it as a firewire audio interface. i've tried to bypass driver sig requirement, but it still doesn't work. i've been using it as a midi controller running a midi cable thru my padKontrol using it's USB connection and all midi controls work just fine (as they should for $1300). no complaints so far, just wish the software programmers as Korg would hurry up and get those drivers i need. i'm also using it along side 2 iCDX's and i haven't had any issues with those.

Posted Mon 08 Oct 07 @ 5:05 pm
idmkPRO InfinityMember since 2004

So the only way to use the Zero 4 as a soundcard is via Fire wire? I'm using an ASUS notebook which doesnt have firewire on it. How will I be able to use this mixer. Are there any sort of USB-Fire wire adapters ??

Thanks.

Posted Tue 13 Nov 07 @ 6:51 am
idmk wrote :

So the only way to use the Zero 4 as a soundcard is via Fire wire? I'm using an ASUS notebook which doesnt have firewire on it. How will I be able to use this mixer. Are there any sort of USB-Fire wire adapters ??

Thanks.

If you're not using your PCMCIA or ExpressCard 34/54 expansion card slot, you can get a Firewire port card for it.

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Posted Tue 13 Nov 07 @ 7:48 am
My laptop has an expresscard slot. I tried a firewire expresscard and it didn't really work. I got it at newegg. The brand of the card was SYBA. Is anyone using firewire expresscards? Which ones are working for you?

Posted Sat 17 Nov 07 @ 5:17 pm
Shame the Mackie is'nt rackmountable

Posted Sun 18 Nov 07 @ 1:27 pm
@McQ714

So you do have the Korg? How long have you had it? I am considering buying this to work with my CDJ 800s so I can mix video, do to the midi control. How do you like it so far?

Posted Fri 28 Dec 07 @ 4:20 pm
I've got a Korg Zero 4 and its definately the best mixer/soundcard I have seen or tried with VDJ (except maybe the Zero 8, but thats a little oversized). I can walk into a club and pull out a CDJ and put the mixer in its place and use the RCA cable, just need to find a power socket (I wish CDJ's used 3 pin IEC cables), then its just a firewire cable to my laptop and its ready to go. Minimal messing around with lots of cables which you would get with a seperate sound card and mixer setup.
The midi controls on it work really well, no issues there and the built in FX on the mixer are awesome too, so much so I find myself not using the VDJ FX anymore, except maybe the beat grid :D Its built really solidly and the faders all feel really nice. There's also a software configurator for the unit that allows you to change the midi messages from each control as well as audio routing options for each channel too.
One of my Laptops has built in firewire which is fine but my other one is a panasonic toughbook which is perfect for DJ'ing so I use it most of the time. But this doesnt have firewire so I use a PCMCIA card for firewire and it works perfectly. However I did purchase one firewire card from ebay which didnt work so you might want to hunt around a bit to find the right one.
My only issue is mainly with VDJ software itself in that it cant have more than 2 decks and the option to select more than just channels 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6. If it could have channels 7/8 as well then I could run an instance of VDJ on 1/2, 3/4 and a second instance of VDJ on 5/6, 7/8 giving me more than 2 decks. I dont understand why we cant freely select the channels of a soundcard we wish to use.

Now I never got to try the Mackie but I would say being mackie that it is fairly good, it just doesnt have anywhere near the FX, midi and options that the Zero 4 does and thats why i'm using the Zero 4 and I couldnt be happier with it.

Posted Sat 29 Dec 07 @ 6:16 am

Are you saying the Korg works as soundcard for VDJ? think you did...

My only question then, does it ALSO have two stereo ins, for connecting timecode????

If so, I'm soooooooo getting it! ;)))

Btw, you CAN run a VDJ skin with more than 2 decks (someone needs to make it) or, you CAN run multiple instances of VDJ

Posted Sat 29 Dec 07 @ 9:26 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
the issue is being able to assign the outputs to different outputs on the same card
asio does not seem to like letting applicatiosn / instances share a single device
perhapse you can use a custom ASIO driver to run ch 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6, 7/8 as two separate devices? this isnt something ive looked much into
i did experiment a little a while ago with trying to get NI battery to share my 8 ch out interface with my 6 ch VDJ timecode settup but no dice

Posted Sat 29 Dec 07 @ 11:32 am
Yes it does have a soundcard built in, from what I understand just plug in the cd players, the firewire and Bam. There you go. I am buying the Korg sometime next month. So far I have seen it for as low as $1,195

Posted Sat 29 Dec 07 @ 12:14 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :

Are you saying the Korg works as soundcard for VDJ? think you did...

My only question then, does it ALSO have two stereo ins, for connecting timecode????

If so, I'm soooooooo getting it! ;)))

Btw, you CAN run a VDJ skin with more than 2 decks (someone needs to make it) or, you CAN run multiple instances of VDJ

Yes it works perfectly as a soundcard across firewire. It receives the TC signal on channels 1/2 or 3/4 or 5/6 (whichever are selected in VDJ), sends it to VDJ and then outputs the audio from VDJ back to that channel to be mixed. It has 3 different input modes (appart from your normal phono/line inputs) to do this as well:

1. Audio: Mixer receives audio only but does not send midi. Uses midi assignable knobs for individual channel fx and onboard EQ also uses faders for onboard mixing.

2. Audio/Midi: Mixer receives audio and sends midi. Uses midi assignable knobs to send midi to VDJ or anything. Still retains onboard EQ and faders for mixing but they still send midi if you want to use it.

3. Midi: Mixer receives audio and sends midi. Uses all midi assignable knobs and faders etc to send midi to the PC to control VDJ's internal mixer or what ever you choose. The mixer no longer users these faders or knobs for mixing or EQ, it must be done in VDJ.

I use the Audio/Midi mode and assign the fx switch on each channel to activate the fx in VDJ and the knobs to control various other parameters.

I recommend this mixer but also that if you are thinking of getting one that you should try before you buy if you can. Luckily a friend works for the supplier in my area so I got to test one for a couple of days. It never went back to the supplier though, I was sold on it within 5 minutes of using it with VDJ :)

btw multiple instances of VDJ still only let you choose channels 1/2 or 3/4 or 5/6 for both instances so the channels are always shared amoung instances. I would love for atomix to make it so we can select whichever input/outputs of the soundcard we want to use for each deck. Then I can use channels 1/2 & 3/4 for isntance 1 of VDJ and channels 5/6 & 7/8 for instance 2 of VDJ giving me 4 decks from 1 PC that are all synced.

Posted Wed 02 Jan 08 @ 6:42 am
MarspPRO InfinityMember since 2006
so it is possible to use turntables with timecode vinyls and the korg 4 zero mixer as soundcard?? i do not need a phono preamp or something like that?
greetz

Posted Wed 02 Jan 08 @ 8:45 am
Marsp wrote :
so it is possible to use turntables with timecode vinyls and the korg 4 zero mixer as soundcard?? i do not need a phono preamp or something like that?
greetz

Yes that´s correct. The Korg Zero 4 has an integrated soundcard. So u just plug your TT´s into the mixer. Plug the mixer via Firewire to your computer and there you go. You can easily switch between timecode and real vinyl. No phone preamps needed. Just the mixer, your pc/Laptop and VDJ.

And you can also use midi functions of the mixer when using timecode Vinyl with Virtual Dj.

Posted Wed 02 Jan 08 @ 3:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)