Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: 0db White Noise Fix? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

PicmanHome userMember since 2007
Hi,

I am considering buying VDJ, but after looking through the forums I decided to do some tests of my own.

I have access to 6 PC on which i installed the demo.
I did not load any songs, and left them on over night.
The Next day ALL 6 PC's were emitting a 0db white noise.
As I am resident in a large club (upto 2000+), and play for 7-8 hours on a thu,fri and sat, I cannot buy VDJ until this problem is fixed.

PC 1
------
Pentium 4 6600 (duo 2.4 gig)
3 Gig ram
3 10000rpm scsi cheaters
Audigy2 ZS sound

PC 2+3+4
------------
Dell - XPS 210

PC 5
------
Dell - XPS 710

PC 6
------
Dell - Inspiron 9400

All these PC are very fast using the latest technolgy, fastest disks, DDR2 etc
Its NOT the hardware.
3 of the machines i re-installed with XP-Pro, drivers and VDJ only.
One machine (PC1) has a clean copy of vista, drivers and VDJ only.
The other machines are used daily.

As another test i installed Traktor on the same machines, and left them over night running,
and all was fine...

Please Could you give me some sort of time frame for a fix, as i need to buy some software as we are moving over to a computer system at the end of the month.

Many thanks
Nick

Posted Thu 22 Feb 07 @ 12:10 am
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
maybe your compies went into standby, hibernate, etc (something with the power management options)

and when they woke up, the sound was what you experienced.

Posted Thu 22 Feb 07 @ 2:40 am
I have tried the demo also, and get the same white noise.
No stand by, no screen saver, no hibernation.
It plays songs for about 4-5 hours then white noise.
One can close the program and the white noise closes with virtual DJ.
This is a shame because the program does have promise.

Posted Thu 22 Feb 07 @ 7:27 am

Posted Thu 22 Feb 07 @ 7:32 am
SO When is it gonna be fixed?

If its not then fine, i can see it a professinal software which has a comersial use, its just another bedroom software DJ program.

If this is how you would like your software to be viewed then fine, i will buy some pro software with decent support.

Please search the forums for this problem, everyone has it if they use it for long enough.

Moderator please answer the folling questions for me.

1) How can a pro DJ in a club use this software when he knows any min it could go sshhhhhhhhhh very loudly?

2) Why has this bug not be reconised?

3) Why is the same bug in every version when 4.2 has a new engine?

As a DJ, I need to trust my equipment, i have pioneer cd players etc not because of the price, but because they work perfect all the time. Changing over to software i expect the same.

So is this bug gonna get fixed or not?

Thanks
Nick

Posted Thu 22 Feb 07 @ 11:51 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
i would recomend that you always restart your computer before using , it for multimedia after leaving it to force clear the ram and processor cashe for best results , any way before using any aplication

i belive this problem is related to a issue with ram not clearing correctly

try some of the tips i posted on the other thread

Posted Thu 22 Feb 07 @ 12:28 pm
ve2fgsHome userMember since 2005

How can there be a RAM clearing issue if VDJ is not doing anything at all ? If you read Picman's original post, he told us that he has installed VDJ Demo on 6 different PC's, and three (3) of them were fresh installs with WinXP and VDJ Only. He has the same issue on those 6 PC's.

i would recomend that you always restart your computer before using , it for multimedia after leaving it to force clear the ram and processor cashe for best results , any way before using any aplication

Any other application is working fine on my computer, only VDJ has issues, so I'll stop trying to tweak my PC and wait for a fix before buying the software.

Take a look at the following picture. Can you tell me what's wrong ?
http://64.18.191.190/Virtual_DJ.JPG

Some threads talking about this same issue...
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/58819/PC_Version_Technical_Support/Long_Session_Problem.html
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/65372/PC_Version_Technical_Support/White_noise_bug.html
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/64516/Bugs_report/White_noise_after_several_hours_use__Requires_restart_.html

Posted Thu 22 Feb 07 @ 3:19 pm
ve2fgs wrote :

How can there be a RAM clearing issue if VDJ is not doing anything at all ? If you read Picman's original post, he told us that he has installed VDJ Demo on 6 different PC's, and three (3) of them were fresh installs with WinXP and VDJ Only. He has the same issue on those 6 PC's.

Any other application is working fine on my computer, only VDJ has issues, so I'll stop trying to tweak my PC and wait for a fix before buying the software.

Take a look at the following picture. Can you tell me what's wrong ?
http://64.18.191.190/Virtual_DJ.JPG

Some threads talking about this same issue...
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/58819/PC_Version_Technical_Support/Long_Session_Problem.html
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/65372/PC_Version_Technical_Support/White_noise_bug.html
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/64516/Bugs_report/White_noise_after_several_hours_use__Requires_restart_.html

i belive it is because virtual dj is sending nul info to the ram , and filling it up over time.

that is aslo microsofts advice you dont have to take if it you dont want to ...

vdj knows about this and the will be looking at it .

Posted Thu 22 Feb 07 @ 3:28 pm
I have monitored and logged CPU & RAM usage over time when this happened and there was no difference at all before and after the problem. VDJ always uses between 25Mb and 30Mb of RAM with nothing loaded. Can you tell me where you have seen Microsoft's advice on restarting applications like this ? I use several other audio softwares that runs 24/7 and none has this issue, so please stop throwing the fault on our side.

Posted Thu 22 Feb 07 @ 5:41 pm
4 of my PC's are audio video processors, for video/audio editing, very hi- spec boxes designed for high cpu/video and audio load, they are used for TV commercials, they need to work perfect day in, day out, and they do.

I did another test yesterday just getting it to automix and repeat, and guest what!!!
The same thing happened, so even when its being used it screws up!

I can just see the look on 2000 peoples faces when the bug bounces out of the speakers at 8KWatts.

As you don't use managed code the chances are its a dodgy pointer, pointing to some random memory location.

Also when the bug raises its ugly head play pause etc do work, so its prob something to do with the interface to the sound card driver, mabe...?

Ok so you have said now that you know the problem exists, is there any time frame for the fix?

As I said in my first post, I do like the software and would like to buy it, but it does need to work right.

Thanks
Nick

Posted Thu 22 Feb 07 @ 8:32 pm

What version of VDJ are you using?

what you describe is also a very well known bug in some cracked versions...
Bad hacks... that has changed code.

It will kick in after about 3-4 hours, making a loud white noize

Posted Thu 22 Feb 07 @ 8:42 pm
Hi, I am using the demo from this site, not a cracked version,
also if you search the forums for white noise bug, there are plenty of other people with the same problem.

Skyfxl seems to think his version of the software does not re-produce the bug, if this is so please mail me the copy you are using, because its not the same one we have.

He also goes on to say it might be a usb or other hardware problem.. ITS NOT!

Skyfxl says

try some of the tips i posted on the other thread

What?
I have purpose built multimedia PC, and have NEVER had to restart any of them to 'clear the ram or the cache'

I run Cubase with 64 audio channels running at once with a stack of VST's without a glich, so why does VDJ play up, unless of course ITS A BUG!

It has already turned lots of people off the software, just fix it, and a lot of pro DJ's will buy it, including me.

Posted Thu 22 Feb 07 @ 11:29 pm
cgarissPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Norway:

This is happening to licenced users too. Like me, for instance, after downloading code from this site and even after clearing the registry for a clean install. If you look through the posts you should see it is not confined to cracked versions. This is a showstopping bug. Literally.

It's not simply downstream from VDJ either, since we've observed that some controls still work. ve2gs even got a screengrab of the the VU meters maxed while he got white noise - I've observed the same thing.

I appreciate that a bug like this is hard to catch in quality testing, but it's there nevertheless and it's nasty.

If it is a well known bug in cracked versions it should be easier to find. Why not start looking at your anti-piracy modules to see why a clumsy hack around there might corrupt a pointer and we should be half way to finding a cure.

Posted Fri 23 Feb 07 @ 2:41 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Here is what I don't understand though - it's not every one. I have used VDJ in our club since ver 2.6 and currently running ver 4.2r1. This is not just 3 hrs and out the door. There are days that we run the system for ever 10-12 hrs and I have never experienced what you guys have been describing. My concern is what is common between all of the systems that have experienced this problem, so to avoid that combination.

I am not disagreeing that the problem exists - but yet wonder what is creating the situation that makes it possible.

Posted Fri 23 Feb 07 @ 4:47 am
i agree with you mate , as i have said i notice that people who have dedicated their machines to virtual dj havent been effected or have remained unaffected for longer , if you havent checked my tips to optimise your system and memory on the Thread titled "long session problem " i advise you do it seems to limit the problem the vdj team are looking into it still.

Posted Fri 23 Feb 07 @ 11:14 am

I'm not saying its a bug or some common factor causing such an issue.

I'm just very curious to why, and what.

I use VDJ to mix for 6-7 hours straight, 2-3 times a week, and have done so for 3 years.
NEVER ever had any white noize, so its definitively not something that we all experience.

I gotta side with Cstoll... Lets try to find the common factor on those that do have the issue, eliminate stuff down to the exact thing, so it can be fixed.

Posted Fri 23 Feb 07 @ 3:32 pm
Ok, so let's do it again and again and again... I've already described my setup three times and almost everu user experiencing this problem has already described their setup.. Anyway, here's a copy&paste of one of my previous post:

Let me also remind you my pc setup (already posted at the beginning of this thread), that I think meets the minimal requirements:

My setup:

Asus Motherboard P5GD1-VM
Intel PIV 3.2 GHz
2 Gig Dual-Channel RAM
Genuine WinXP Pro SP2
640 Gig RAID 5 SATA HDD's (3X 320 Gig drives)
M-Audio Delta 1010 sound card
BDC2000 (As a controller only)

This is a "music machine" and everything has been optimized for that. No service not needed and CPU load never exceed 2-3% when mixing with VDJ. Can you tell me why every other multimedia software runs fine on that same machine ? I have monitored everything (CPU usage, RAM, HDD) before, during the bug and after clodsing VDJ and it has NOTHING to do with any memory fillup or something. After skyfxl's advice, I even formatted that machine with a fresh install of XP Pro and ONLY VDJ and guess what... Same thing ! What a waste of time.....

Want to see the screenshot again ? Here it is: http://64.18.191.190/Virtual_DJ.JPG

There is nothing loaded in VDJ and it has begun generating that white noise 4-5 hours later. NO it's NOT a cracked version, it's the 20 day trial version.

IT'S BEEN A MONTH SINCE MY TRIAL VERSION OF VDJ EXPIRED AND NO ONE NEVER ADMITTED THAT THE SOFTWARE COULD HAVE A PROBLEM. THE PROBLEM IS US, THE USERS. I'LL STICK WITH MY ROCK-SOLID OLD BPM STUDIO. I HAVE NO MORE TIME TO WASTE. I AM NOT A BEDROOM DJ AND I GOTTA GO PLAY MUSIC NOW. THAT WAS MY LAST POST HERE.

Posted Fri 23 Feb 07 @ 6:34 pm
Thanks to all the posters who don't have this problem. That's very nice for you - however - it does absolutely nothing at all to help those of us who see this software repeatedly fall over after a few hours .

Skyfxl managed to reproduce this problem on a PC that formely worked correctly.

The rest of this thread: we had the problem from the get go:
- Niems
- Rotrex
- ve2fgs
- mest42085
- a6walter1
- Pionara

Posted Mon 26 Feb 07 @ 10:37 am
Oh. and lopez453 encountered this in Numark Cue 4.1

Posted Mon 26 Feb 07 @ 10:55 am
if you can update higher on numark cue i would avise you do :)

Posted Mon 26 Feb 07 @ 11:32 am
63%