Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Does the 17" imac have a video out port?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

i was looking at the uk apple store website and i can't find any info detailed enough.

Particularly thinking for video mixing since there quite a bit cheaper than mac book pros and around the same spec.

Also generally, is is worth spending £69 ($135) to upgrade from a 2.0GHz to a 2.16GHz processor? would you really see much difference?

And now i'm writing, i might as well ask if it's worth spending an extra £120 to upgrade from 1GB to 2GB of ram.

Any help would be great. :)

Posted Thu 01 Feb 07 @ 10:22 am
my advice is spend the extra few bucks for the minimal processor speed upgrade. however, i just bought a new imac yesterday and i can' get the tv out to work under bootcamp/windows at all. tv out works fine under mac os though. when the mac os version of vdj comes out, i'm sure it'll be just fine for video mixing.

Posted Thu 01 Feb 07 @ 10:29 am
Thanks for the info. :)

Got thinking now, will my DAC-3 work with an iMac?

Posted Thu 01 Feb 07 @ 10:40 am
Yes, ALL Macs have DVI output.

iMacs and MacBooks use mini-DVI out ports, while the Mac mini, MacBook Pro, and Mac Pro towers use standard DVI out ports.

Also, take anewsome's advice and be aware of the current issue that he has mentioned regarding video, but like he said, that issue will be resolved with VDJ/VV for Mac. =)

In regards to the ram, 2 gigs of paired DDR2 (Double Data Rate) ram will make your iMac fly!

You can never have enough ram or hard drive space! =)

Posted Thu 01 Feb 07 @ 2:10 pm
andytaylor125 wrote :
Got thinking now, will my DAC-3 work with an iMac?

The DAC-3 is a USB HID (Human Interface Device), so it shouldn't need any special drivers. However, it will only work in VDJ for Mac if native support for this device is added (I.e: Ported across from the PC version of VDJ.) It may also be possible to use it as a MIDI controller if the PCDJ MIDI driver is available for Mac.

My DAC-3 mapper will not work with the Mac version of VDJ because it's a Windows .DLL - It may be possible to adapt it and re-compile it for Mac once the plugin SDK is available, although presently this will be very difficult (Unless cross-compiling is possible) because I don't own a Mac.

Posted Thu 01 Feb 07 @ 6:53 pm
thanks alot for the info :)

Maybe i'll hold out on the imac till we know the full story then!

Posted Fri 02 Feb 07 @ 11:24 am
Shouldn't be too long now anyways with VDJ/VV for Mac coming out. =)

Posted Fri 02 Feb 07 @ 4:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)