Forum: Music discussion

Topic: BPM & MIXING GUIDE [manual BPM edit and more] - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Holt10Home userMember since 2006
HOw do i get to actuall dj

Posted Fri 13 Jan 06 @ 12:36 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
What do you mean by that Holt10?

If you mean 'How do i mix music' then you have to take a track onto deck a and a track onto deck b and fit them together so that you can transfer from one song to the other seamlessly.

If you want to learn how to dj, you have to practice, practice and practice some more the above and improve your techniques and mixing skills so that you can run together a set. Then practice a whole bundle more until you can do it with your eyes shut. Don't 'hear' the music, 'feel' the music. And, when the day comes that you wake up and you can think about nothing else other than mixing music and making people move, you will be a dj.

In any case, you need to buy the full version of the program first to appreciate the full features available to you in your new venture. You can buy it online at this website: http://www.virtualdj.com/purchase/ and that is a good place to start.

Then think about what kind of equipment you will need. This, however, is based on what kind of dj you will be: http://www.virtualdj.com/. There's bundles of information on this website. Everything to dj questions to pc questions that we can help you with.

However, it would be highly advisable to buy the program in the first instance.

Look forward to seeing you as a full user real soon.

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Posted Fri 13 Jan 06 @ 12:46 am
how do you make the song pitch higher?

Posted Thu 19 Jan 06 @ 8:22 pm
agent-iHome userMember since 2006
slide up the pitch bar dude... to da + side bpm goes faster - side bpm goes slower...

Posted Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 9:23 am
dj-in-norway....
this is the ultmate lesson in comp mixing ...
u have done a really good job

keep it up dude !!

cheers

Posted Tue 31 Jan 06 @ 8:52 pm
i agree with that! Dj in Norway rocks!!

Posted Sat 04 Feb 06 @ 2:06 pm
DARKSIDE
ALBUM
:))

1. Paul B & Subwave - 4D Funk (6:34)
2. Echo - Out Of Time (Calyx Remix) (5:42)
3. Paul B & Subwave - Three Suns (6:34)
4. Bad Company - Sentient (4:50)
5. Dillinja - Dillinja - I Told You How To Rock (3:58)
6. Noisia - Monster (7:06)
7. Bad Company - Forgotten (5:05)
8. Bad Company - Dead-Side (3:15)
9. Dom And Roland - Late Night (6:02)
10. Rawthang - Epilogue (7:40)
11. Technical Itch - The Rukus (7:33)
12. Total Science - Scope (4:02)

Posted Mon 13 Feb 06 @ 9:30 pm
slvrbl8PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I am from the old school. Two 1200 and a mixer. Been 15 years since I have DJayed. Just purchased Atomix Virtual DJ. Technology all new to me. I don't understand the tutorial to good. Can u send some simple instructions. Like I can't evan make the auto beatlock work. I followed the directions but it does not match the beat. I even use the same song. What am I doing wrong

Posted Fri 03 Mar 06 @ 1:16 am
Well first try analyzing your songs. Right click the song or folder you want to analyze and hit analyze.

BEFORE YOU ANALYZE!!!! if you have some breaks you should chose any music in your VDJ settings. If you are analyzing techno or house type beats (constant 4/4s) chose techno/house.

Now once your songs are analyzed. Load a song on deck A. WAIT UNTIL THE SONG IS FULLY LOADED!!!! you will see a little blue bar light up to show the breaks in the song. now once your song is playing. load a track into Deck B. WAIT UNTIL THE SONG IS FULLY LOADED!!!! and if you want to do it the easy way you can simply hit sync or beatlock in order to make the bpms the same. this will match your CBGs.

CBG = little squares under the wave display. Big square = beat 1, little squares = 2, 3 and 4

make sure your big square is under the 1st beat on each song and this way when applying beatlock these 2 big squares will stay together to give you a perfect mix (if the BPMS, and CBGs are properly adjusted).

give this a try and if you have any more questions keep posting we'll help you out.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Fri 03 Mar 06 @ 3:34 am
slvrbl8PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I tried to analyze as u said did not work. I tried to align the squares in the grid, did not work. And the only way I saw to align the squares was to right click and drag the two grids together, is this correct??? If so I may have been aligning the big square with the little square. I will try this again. But even that seems like a lot just to beatmatch a song. What do u mean by (constant 4/4s) and what do u mean by breaks. What I am trying to do may not be possible. I am trying to start one song to play on deck A and then load exact same song on deck B, I then click the beatmatch button on deck B and then click play. I expect the song to start auotmatically in the same beat as the one on deck A. I don't expect the songs to be at the exact same point, just in the same beat, Is this correct??? And I just read something about making my own samples. Can u brief me on this. Also there only seems to be only 5 samples that came with VDJ Like the first one is the siren, the second one says Throw your hands up. etc... is this the only samples. there are 9 buttons but only 4 or 5 of them work. Thanks for your patience

Posted Mon 06 Mar 06 @ 1:09 am
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@slvrbl8. What type of music are you trying to mix? Old stuff and hip hop are a bit tricky. To do what you want it's still best to release the cued up song at the right time. Also, right click is beatlock and left click is beatmatch. You may want to try beat lock to do what you want.

Go Here for Samples from this site. Just load them into your samples folder, click load on the vdj display panel and you're done. This link, along with skins and effects are listed on this site under download.
http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/samples.html

Link is from this site under help.
This Manual explains how you can create your own samples
http://www.virtualdj.com/support/manual/

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 5:07 pm
I've DJed at a couple of parties with my Hercules DJ Console Mk2 and Virtual DJ.
People always ask a ton of questions when you show up with a laptop and
controller. I mostly mix Hip-Hop, R&B, Reggae but I've done a trance/house
party at a friend's house. I've never DJed using turntables but my uncle used
them and I watched him a couple of times. He's reluctant to touch the software
because to him the feel of real turntables isn't there and he's used to doing mixing by ear.
It's true that you have to know your music. When I first started, I would mix
in any part of a song and sometimes use songs with vastly different BPMs.
I've read somewhere that it's better to do tempo matching but I don't really understand
that.
After a while, I started to get a feel for which songs go together and could do a
15 and 30 minute mix pretty smoothly. Electronic stuff is easy from the start but hip-hop seems to be much harder.
It's all easy if you know the tunes front to back though.

This is off topic, but can anyone recommend good headphones. I have a
pair of old AKG 600ohm cans that are hard to drive with the hercules controller.

Posted Sat 08 Apr 06 @ 8:34 am
Hey is it possible to scratch with the use of some tables, so you have the feel and actual sound of a scratch. Not the sound that VDJ does, which sucks in my opinion.
And also to use VDJ for Sound FX and storage and line up, and also to be able to match up beats and maybe lock them visually because it's so much easier then to just listen to the music each time you know.

So basically I want to be able to use VDJ and real tables as well but they would be MP3 based.

Thanks
Vitaliy

Posted Mon 10 Apr 06 @ 6:09 am

Posted Mon 10 Apr 06 @ 6:15 am
Thanks for the quick reply BIN

Posted Mon 10 Apr 06 @ 7:27 am
Again, thanks for the video link.
I just finished watching the video and from what I see, it looks like he's using real vinyl and the tables are actually with needles.

What I meant was actually a little different. And I think I also posted in another part of this forum today the more detailed one.

I just bought me a used technics vestax pcv-275 mixer and wanted to pick up th denon 5000S MP3 based tables. They don't run vinyls or anything. No needles. They are 100% MP3 Based.

If I bought those, could I do what is in the video? Or would I need to actually buy something like the more traditional vinyl based tables? OLD SCHOOL?

I want to have the funcionality and ease of use, like beat matching and locking and all of the great features of VDJ that we've gotten so used to. But also be able to scratch.

Could I accomplish that with the Denon 1000S or 5000S models which are not vinyl based? No needles?

And one more thing, could some one please explain what time-coded vinyls are and where they can be picked up? Or maybe if that has already been answered somewhere else, point me in the right direction?

Thanks guys.
Vitaliy

Posted Mon 10 Apr 06 @ 7:40 am
i'm not sure about the mp3 based tables someone else on this site might know, but i know he's usin real vinyl TT's in that video
and the time coded vinals can be bought from this site at
http://www.virtualdj.com/shop/?cur=USD

and the best and cheapest way to buy the software is the instant download if you havent already
http://www.virtualdj.com/purchase/

hope this helps ya,
DJ Stylz

Posted Mon 10 Apr 06 @ 8:19 am
I have been trying many ways to screw and chop music but none of them work. Does anyone know how i can do this?

Posted Tue 27 Jun 06 @ 3:15 am
HcKrSHome userMember since 2006
:P

Posted Wed 28 Jun 06 @ 11:02 am
do you want to mix music . First of all you have to have a talent and good ear

Posted Sat 01 Jul 06 @ 11:48 am
33%