Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: virtualdj version 4 - can we take off the 3 effect slots? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Dev staffHome userSenior staffMember since 2003
Hello,

A quick poll: Do you use two (or three) effects simultaneously (added effects) during your mixes?

In fact, we are considering removing the 3 effect slots in version 4, and replace it by a single effect control in the main skin area, for which you choose wich effect to apply from a drop-down list (like we did for the video effects).

It would mean many more effects available at hand during your mixes. And more controls.
But the drawback is that you couldn't have more than one effect activated on each deck at the same time.

Is this really a problem?

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 8:15 pm
Will you be able to cycle thru the effects with controller? If so then I am good with it.

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 8:23 pm
Is it possible to keep the 3 effect buttons or even 2 per player and have a drop down menu per button instead of having to go into the configure module? When working in a Karaoke/DJ enviroment I like having the Key control always available and an effect or two when DJing. Having one button means I will have to reconfigure it each time I go from Karaoke to DJ sets.

My idea would be; Right mouse "click" button for the drop down menu to open - Center mouse "wheel" to scroll up/down menu - Center mouse "click" to set the effect to the button - Left mouse "click" to engage effect.

Peace out
Funkmasterfrank
Montreal, Qc

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 8:28 pm
Dev staffHome userSenior staffMember since 2003
The whole idea is to have all the DLLs in your effect folder available instantly if you click on the "change effect" button on the main skin (or through DAC3/hercules/etc of course), without any need to go in the config.

The question was rather: does it bother anyone if you can't activate two effects one upon another anymore? (like running a beatgrid in top of a flanger effect)

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 8:38 pm
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
i suggest being able to assign keyboard shortcuts to all the plug-ins.
ie. add another Tab in the Control Panel with the Plug-in List (a plug-in tab) that the user can go down the list (like the keyboard shortcuts) making their own personal keyboard shortcuts to whatever plug-in on whatever deck.
just like keyboard shortcuts being able to assign Deck A, Deck B, Active Deck, Default Deck, Temporary etc..

just like it doesnt matter how many cues a skin has so long as the user assigns whatever number of keyboard shortcuts their cues. So that if u assign 3 plug-in keyboard shortcuts that's all u get. if u assign 10 plug-in keyboard shortcuts thats what u get.
This way the user can use more than 1 plug-in on a deck at a time.

to add new plug-ins just download/copy them to the plug-in folder and re-open the Control panel dialog.

ye or nay?

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 8:53 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I'm ok with 2 but would want at least that. I think many folks probably use two semi-regulary at the same time. I use a vst flanger and a loop out often. But I never use 3 at the same time.

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 9:04 pm
johansPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Dev team

I never use more than 1 effect at same time so your idea to do the same as it is with video effects looks OK for me.
The only comment I would raise here is when you have a lot of effects, when the list is long you have to scroll and scroll to find the effect you want or the favorites that you frequently use.
I have solved it to rename my favorite video plugins so they appear on top of the list and thats make live more easy.
Maybe a possibility to split them in groups would be great.

Regards

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 9:07 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I like to use 2 effects at the same time, but my idea was and STILL IS: I would like to see at least 5 effects loaded on each deck at the same time that you don't need to load (searching & changing) effects everytime you need another one.

So i can accept that i can't have 2 efxs active at the same time, but I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THAT I CAN USE ANY EFFECT WITHOUT LOAD IT TO DACK. hope you understand me :)

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 9:15 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Dev Staff> I love your idea and vote for one easily accessible/tweakable effect per track, without having to display the FX panel.

Thank you for involving us users.

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 9:28 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i have never used 2 at once so it wouldn't bother me

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 9:29 pm
vpcdj has the right idea. I would agree completely with his post. I also agree with xeon's post. The ability to punch in the FX via a shortcut is much more flexible than using a mouse to choose FX. I like to keep mouse action to an absolute minimum.

One of the biggest problems I have with the FX panel was having to choose/load an FX (much too time consuming). So currently, sometimes I will punch-in one of the 3 FX from a shortcut and it is not what I wanted because I forgot what was loaded. i.e. Punch-in the backspin instead of the flanger... (ouch!)

Using more than 1 FX at a time is probably quite popular. i.e. Flanger + Flipping Doubles. but I don't see using more than 2 at a time.

Thank you dev for finally giving this area some much needed attention !

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 9:46 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I agree with digijoc-mele. Loading different fx plugins is too time consuming. What tends to happen is what is loaded at the start of the gig stays loaded for the rest of the night. A keyboard shortcut which can recall different effects would be great. eg b - brake effect, f - flanger, d - flippin doubles etc..

What would be nice also is being able to map the sliders in the effects to a button or fader being midi or keyboard. You could then change length and variation of the effects on the go, rather than always selecting the fx tab to look at what your changing and using the mouse.

I've never used more than 2 effects at one time.

Looking forward to version 4!!!

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 10:44 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
@Dev Staff,
Personally as we are dealing with software I'd rather the program aspire to an "effects machine" rather seliing out with effects per player, Mixer effects rather than player effects.

Here is an idea, you could read my thread about this: http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/41353/New_features/Channel_Assignable_Effects.html?highlight=channel%20assignable%20effects

"I like the effects system as it is, but at the moment we have "Chan 1" and "Chan 2", each channel is able to hold 3 pre loaded effects, and of course we all know we can change them at any time.

But how about having the setting where you can direct any of the 6 pre-loaded effects to any channel you like?.., If I do a killer pre-set on channel A, I might like to assign that to channel B within the next few bars.., it can only be done with this option, or even an effect such as a flanger would work nicely if it could be applied to the master (chan one and chan two together).

It is more useful for users that use effects with A lot of parameters or effects that take A lot of setting up, things like "brake" can be loaded and adjusted in a matter of seconds, but a loop out or a VST flanger can take considerably longer.

I can't think of anyone that would have 6 effects running on channel A, and 6 on channel B simultaneously, so I see no need to implement 12 effect buttons on the skin, rather to be able to assign the 6 pre-loaded effects to which ever channel you'd like.

This would be a very proffesional feature, and would work just like a proffesional mixer."

On what you propose:
I see the idea outlined a bit of a downgrade in some respects, I vote for a new design in the effects section, more practical and more pleasing to the eye.., however the idea outlined would mean you have to take time to load a new effect and set it's parameters, what if I want cut 2 bars, flange the next 2 bars and then activate a "brake", I don't think it would be possible with the outlined concept.

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 10:55 pm
As a professional developer myself I am surprised that you are thinking of removing a feature, even if it is to add another feature.

The way around this issue is to allow the end-user to select audio or video plug-ins into any of the 3 slots available per channel/turntable. This way those who want 1+ effects for audio OR video can have that ability. You shouldnt have to choose FOR the user, allow the user to choose for themself.

Food for thought.

Peace,
James Rose
New York City

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 11:31 pm
dj cmacHome userMember since 2006
I feel that the 3 is perfect. A drop to 2 would not be the end of the world but i think an upgrade to 4 wouldnt go a miss either. It seems to me that a change in layout and accessility may be the answer (E.G having the pics of what the effects are when selected isnt totally neccessary you could save room there) instead of changing what the program has in the number of effects

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 11:33 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The bottom line is more control and not less, anything else is a bonus (such as graphical enhancements etc).

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 11:36 pm
I use the three extensively, and actually wish i had more. I have 3 staple effects that I always use, and life just won't be the same without it. I need to do 2 effects at once (sometimes i use a flanger then cut it with a echo out etc).

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 12:11 am
metiznPRO InfinityMember since 2005
i like the 3, but at least i need 2

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 12:26 am
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
I use one or two effects at a time So i wouldn't mind having only two slots for the effects.

Why not make this poll in french forum too?

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 12:47 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I like the 3.
Actually I wish I had 3 for video effects.

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 12:54 am
19%