Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Real djs!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've read topic below "Djing is a feeling". And I want to add my personal opinion. I'm writting this to all (let's call them) "real" djs and newbies.
First of all dj isn't anybody. Maybe many of this pepole here that are writing in this forum are potential (good, middle, bad) djs. But only few of them are "real" djs. Now let's define "real" dj. Real dj is a modern artist. Just like a Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Jimmy Hendrix... which are playing guitar. Djs are playing music which is created from musicians (now modern). Now goes that sentence "Djing is a feeling". Djing definately isn't beatmixing. It is very important part of good "playing" but it is not the only. To ease this to you, you can mix trance, techno and house at the same time all in the cue (beat), and the only person that will listen to this is you. Now goes the conclusion. "Real" dj is a talented, creative, well trained modern musician. So if you think that you have talent practise, practise and practise and let the people judge you at gigs. Atomix is the just perfect software to help you to find yourselves in the music. The only problem with atomix is the look. You have much more confidence that you are a dj with turntables (or cds). But in atomix you can do things that none of turntable djs can. So practise with atomix, and don't miss any offer that is given to you (even for free - friends...) to work at a gig. That's the modern way to become Dj - modern musician.

Hunter

Posted Thu 07 Feb 02 @ 10:21 pm
what you said has made alot of meaning,and its certainly is true very much true,thank you alot man

Posted Sun 17 Feb 02 @ 7:11 am
Definition of a DJ....Anyone who has the confidence to play music to an audience..( who believes that other people want to hear what they play)

Am a pro DJ

Posted Tue 19 Feb 02 @ 9:44 pm
Good stuff! hopefully this will give 'atomix users' more courage to actually go forth n beyond in the 'digital dj's' scene. There is alot of truth in what you said; I dj professionally at clubs and private functions, and i know that there is a great problem with alot of people getting use to and accepting tha "computer" side of djing. some comments ive heard are "computers are easy man" "thats fake djing". This is very un-true. Like you said, "in atomix you can do things that none of turntable djs can." is very true. Everything is very organised in atomix. I pull 'stunts' up on stage which ive never heard any other dj do LIVE. thats the beauty of atomix. because the music is so organised and cued to perfection, u can feel alot more comfortable and do more mixin in short time lengths, creating excellent mixes. The problem with consoles is, that you do not have this versitility; you either have to play remixes, or stick to borrin one song after the other mixing. Alot of ppl gave me... "shit" when i started using tha computer at gigs. comments im sure alot of u have heard are like "what r u jus gonna play mp3's all night??"
the reply ive come up for this is " man, listen to my shit, then make a judgement" that usually shuts them up. And if you are trully good, then ur music will speak for its self. NO ONE WILL COMPLAIN AT THE END.
I have to say, i have totally mastered atomix 1. atomix 2 im still learning... atm i like atomix 1 better because it suits my style of djing. atomix 2 has too much latency with the loop key and it sounds shockin if u try to loop too fast. i will classify this problem as a 'bug' and hope it will be 'fixed' soon.
"The only problem with atomix is the look. " - all i have to say to that is CUSTOMIZE! u can do it! design ur own skin, make it look like a console, chuck ur name on it! ppl will love it trust me!
"You have much more confidence that you are a dj with turntables (or cds). " - confidence in that people are not goin to bag u when u set up, but if ur crap with cd's n turn tables, then everyone will most deffineatly not like u in the end : )
same with atomix, they will bag u at the start trust me, and they will bag u more if u aint good at it. but IF u ARE GOOD, then you will most deffneatly get "wows" "good stuff man" one after the other. I have had so many ppl pay me EXTRA for the night because they enjoyed the djing so much. SO DONT BE AFFRAID TO GO HOOK UP UR PC's ON STAGE.
Well ur probably all thinkin, yea this guys all talk... well for ppl who think that.... i have a web site... where ive put my mixes n some fellow dj's mixes up... the site is no where near complete but i think its worth checkin out, as there are a few mixes ( well actually remixes) up there that will show you atomix's capabilities and potential.
check it out at www.geocities.com/sarges_place
there will be more mixes to download real soon, and more pics to see!
In my opinion a "real dj" is a person who can "mix" songs non stop that cater for any given crowd. Wether it be hip hop, RnB, techno, house, Reggae etc etc. IF the crowd liked what you played, and provided you did all the mixing; you didnt play already "mixed" shit that wasnt yours... then you are a REAL DJ. ( i know of alot of dj's who jus play mixes that do not belong to them and take credit for it, They jus 'pretend' they are doin the mix. I rekon its a real shame and a total sham that ppl do this n call them selves dj's...)
Hell, i mean the ppl who organsised the party cud have played already made mixes themselves, why the hell do they need u???
If u are one of these ppl who plays already made mixes... i suggest u go look up the word "fake" in the dictionary.

Only prob i see wit atomix is, no scratching..... Sooo...HOOK UP A TURNTABLE to it!!!
The way that i have setup my pc's is i rekon the best way to get optimum usuage out of atomix. atomix caters for 2 sounds cards, so put another one in!! trust me it is needed!!!
What i do at stage or at clubs is, use an external mixer or 2 amps and plug in both the sound outputs into them. this way you got 'physical' control of the sound volume, and if ur amp has a EQ, then it will work beautifully! as an EQ was lacking in atomix 1. Plus, this way, it is not jus ur pc thats sitting on the bench, its all this other neat equipment! it shuts the ppl up trust me, till they know your music is good.try it out!

So then u ask " why the hell dont just use 2 cd players if ur using a external mixer anyway??" the answer to that is, like i said b4, atomix is very organised, and cued to perfection.
unlike using cd players. and you can do alot lot more with atomix than using a console.

ill put up alot of tips n tricks in relation to using atomix up on my web site very soon. so keep checkin back. I know alot of you have a problem with beat matching properly using atomix, so there will be alot of 'lessons' on my site for this very soon. but for now download the mixes have a listen, n give me ur feed back!

@ nlsperera@hotmail.com
the site again : www.geocities.com/sarges_place

HAVE FUN! DJ SARGE

Posted Wed 20 Feb 02 @ 7:02 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)