Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What would you do?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJtalonHome userMember since 2001
What would you do if Windows crashed while you were mixing live with Atomix?

Having not done many live gigs I haven't even given this thought...

Posted Mon 01 Apr 02 @ 10:46 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
I always have a cd player with a compilation cd with various tracks standing by.

DJ Homeboy

Posted Tue 02 Apr 02 @ 12:02 am
But wouldn't there be a bit of silence? How would people react?

Posted Tue 02 Apr 02 @ 4:46 am
In the few parties i've done .... I have a backup portable CD player (a CD walkman) ready to go plugged into my 3rd channel of my mixer which already has pre-mixed music on it ... so I still have headroom until I get everything back online !!!

But I am using XP and when I have it going live .... I make sure I have NOTHING running in the background (i.e Virus Scanners, MSN, internet connections). As long as you have a stable OS and no other things running .... you are gaurenteed to have it run 99.99999 % of the time flawlessly. I have NEVER had my OS crash just by running atomix alone !!

You are WAY more likely to hit a key or the crossfader my accident before you'll have your computer crash on you !!!!!

-- Dave --

Posted Tue 02 Apr 02 @ 7:16 am
DJ XHome userMember since 2002
Yeah, Windows XP Rules!!! Never Crashes!!! at least not yet :o)

DJ X

Posted Tue 02 Apr 02 @ 7:43 am
stuxxxPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Never had this problem under windows 2000 either !!

Just make sure all your drivers are up to date and as mentioned before, run a bare system without all the virus protection shit on and you'll be fine....

I still have a cd deck connected and loaded with a old anthem that suits the set, Make sure you dont play it in your normal set though otherwise in a worst case scenario you could end up playing the same track back to back !! ( Make sure its quite a long track...minimum 6 mins to give you time to reboot and get you shit together.

From my experience most of the regulars in the crowd love to see or hear you cock up occassionly (christ knows y ?)

Dont worry about it, they will forget within 5 mins !!!!

happy mixing folks

STU

Posted Tue 02 Apr 02 @ 11:32 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
My laptop came with windows ME. (this scares me) However, I do have a nice Denon 2600 CD player standing by. On the other hand, in over a year of using 3 different versions now of Atomix, windows has never crashed. In the previous versions of Atomix I have had a few errors that required me to close Atomix and re-start it. (I always re-booted anyway) In 10-12 outings now with Atomix V2.1, I haven't needed the play button on the CD player even once. In fact, Saturday night at the end of the gig I noticed that I had even forgotten to actually turn on the CD player. This lastest update really seems bullet proof.

Posted Tue 02 Apr 02 @ 5:25 pm
Yeah, I never have crashes, so I'd probably be fine.

But still, if there was, what would the crowd do??

Posted Tue 02 Apr 02 @ 9:23 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Wll like the others my cd player is ready and standing by. I think there might be a 2-5 sec latency on my reaction but all you have to do id think of something smart to say or advertise during the short break. I don't think anyone will know the difference.

DJ Homeboy

Posted Tue 02 Apr 02 @ 10:56 pm
If the audience knows you well .... just take the embarrasment and have them laugh at you !! They'll have bragging rights that you f*cked up.

Just dont f*ck up to begin with, if you are new somewhere, or doing a live-to-air radio broadcast !!

Posted Wed 03 Apr 02 @ 12:55 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Fortunately, each time there was a problem with 2.0, I had a warning. You see the error message, but the song continues to play. With a minute or so to thrash, you can get a disc in and be ready to hit play before the song ends, then you re-boot and move on. The biggest loss if the dozen or so songs you had loaded into the playlist. You have to rehunt them down if you remember all of them.

Posted Wed 03 Apr 02 @ 1:53 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)