Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Help me out!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am fairly new to mixing and was wondering where to look for a pair of turntables to complement atomixmp3. If anyone knows of a website or anywhere for me start to look please post it for me!

Posted Mon 01 Apr 02 @ 6:15 am
There are some GREAT websites out there .... do a Yahoo! search for "DJ". But first, let me offer you some advice .... there are 2 major kinds of turntables: Belt-Drive and Direct Drive.

Belt-Drive turntables are driven by a belt connected to the motor. They cost WAY less but are CRAP !!! No PRO DJ's use them ..... They don't hold their pitch (speed) well (you'll learn about that more as soon as you get more into the whole DJ'ing thing), and have poor scratching ablilities. They range from $100 - $200 US. Although they are attractive in price, they are cheap for a reason. Belt-Drives are suitable if you only need them just for playback and recording. The quality is essentially the same.

Direct drive tables are driven by a motor DIRECTELY connected to the motor. All PRO DJ's use these. They are way more in price, but are the BEST way to go. The industry standard ... Technics 1200's ... are the #1 turntables in the world. Though, they are very simple with just a pitch control, they are known for their perfomance, stability and quality. If you get a set of these ... expect them to last for years. But on the downside .. they started at around $499 US each. Other manufacturers like Numark and Stanton offer more features on their tables for a lower price, but their quality just does not match.

Put this way ..... it's like comparing a Premium Top-Of-The-Line Hyundai and a Base Bottom-of-the-line BMW - It's still a BMW - but for the same price you can get ALOT more goodies on the Hyundai (sorry for the rather strange but true comparison).

For Beginner DJ's ... I do NOT reccomend going out and buying tables. Go with a dual CD-Player (American DJ and Numark have the great value for the middle end stuff), preferably with a beat counter to assist in Beatmatching. Its something to start off with. I personally am totally against vinyl. It's becoming outdated, lets look at it this way:

- It's a format older than our parents !!!!
- Everything is played back in ANALOG !!!!
- Records are expensive. They warp, skip, and scratch !
- Tables are expensive ... put that money towards a better mixer or CD player !!!!
- You need a U-Haul truck to carry just a portion of your music library to your gigs !!

The only thing good about tables are the whole "image" of it, the "feel" of it and their scratching abilities. But then again, many CD-Players are equipped with their own scratch features (Like the Numark CDN-88, American DJ Pro-Scratch 1, Pioneer CDJ-1000S, Denon DN2600-f) in addition to beat counters, which can save you time and put that time towards perfecting your mix even better.

If you are still hooked on buying tables .... it's an ALL or NOTHING situation. If you are going to shell out $$$ for them ... go with something that will last you and give you a chance to see what you are capable of.

I HOPE this is of help to you !!! Although I am not a Pro DJ yet ... Take this advice, fellow Dj ... may it serve you well.

Grtz,
-- Dave --

Posted Mon 01 Apr 02 @ 7:44 am
And by the way: You do not need turntables to complement atomixmp3 - The software has everything you need !!

Posted Mon 01 Apr 02 @ 7:45 am
I agree with trip's comments for the most part. But I am a professional DJ, and am totally for Vinyl. Not because I enjoy antiquated equipment, or because I enjoy spending money. I bought tables when I first started, and learned as I went. My main attraction to vinyl is what you have to learn to be able to use the tables. Technics have no magic BPM match button, so you have to learn to use your ears, and it trains you to beat match with out aids. Having learned first on tables, I now have the knowledge to use any other format out there. and to me, that knowledge is priceless.. because I am a professional.. I need to be able to perform on many different levels. It just all depends on where you wanna go with this. Is it just a hobby? Or do you really love it? Consider it well, because it's a lot of money to waste on a hobby.

-Saint James

Posted Mon 01 Apr 02 @ 9:36 am
laxskanHome userMember since 2001
The vinyl/digital argument. If you haven't got much money or time then forget vinyl, the way things are going it looks like it will soon be obsolete or at least not so widely used.

I started out with two dogey hifi decks and a two channel mixer with no cross fader many years ago and then advanced onto sl1200 which was fantastic. There's nothing like vinyl for that "hand -on" experience. However over the past year I have been swayed into the digital domain, which has been a revolation. The things you can't do in digital are getting less and less. However if you still like the vinyl experence and you still want the advatages of digital(mp3) storage check out such products as stantons "final scratch"

www.finalscratch.com
with the advent of such developements as this and atomix
it is fair to say don't waste you money on vinyl when you can download all the mp3 you want at the cost of monthly subscription.

And what about your record collection? easy convert all your vinyl into mp3(a good smaple rate is needed 192 or higher) I have been DJ in dance clubs for over 15 years and I am currently in the process of going digital.
There is a resentment arround however within the DJ comunity against digital, however DJ is about playing somebody elses art and getting good music and verity to joe punter, not about you the DJ being an artist unless you have a real genuine skill to exibit. Anyone can mix vinyl with a little bit a practice. Go digial mate do not pass Go don't carry around a 30ILB box of dilate vinyl. Turn up with a laptop if you're go the balls to do it I you'll get the respect.

Nuff said

Posted Mon 01 Apr 02 @ 10:36 pm
DJtalonHome userMember since 2001
Eventually, we won't see quite so much predjudice against DJ's using other equipment besides the good old 1200's.

Vinyl sounds cool too me, but too cost-prohibitive. It really has no innate advantage over any other format, except that it's cool. And, I'm used to not being cool.

I figure something like Atomix lets me take my mind off beatmatching and focus instead on the faders, making everything as even as it can be. The art of the mix.

Anybody that can do it with turntables impresses the hell out of me, but I can still do it easier. And, I can carry 3000 songs in a tiny little hard drive the size of two CD's.... while 3000 songs on records would take up more space than I have in my room, and be bloody hard to search through :-D

Posted Mon 01 Apr 02 @ 10:43 pm
stanton Final Scratch is the future!!!!! Feel Of vinal bwenefits of Mp3 n digital stuff Get urself some turntables n final scratch - sorted

nuff said

Posted Mon 01 Apr 02 @ 11:53 pm
All completely sound agruements... infact I agree.. but I like vinyl, so until I get over that I'll hang on to my decks.

Posted Tue 02 Apr 02 @ 10:23 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)