Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: External Mixer ?!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I just got an American DJ XDM-343 3 Channel Mixer .... which is AWESOME that I am pleased with.

My concern is normalization. I am having trouble matching the levels of my songs. When I cue it in the headphones ... I find it difficult to check and match the levels. The loud music around doesn't make it any easier. The seperate PFL LED's don't help much either.

Should just use the auto-gain on atomix ? Is hardware gain any better than the software equalization in atomix ?!

Thanks soooooooooooooooooooooo much for your help guys !!!!

-- Dave --

Posted Fri 15 Mar 02 @ 2:54 am
nateHome userMember since 2001
if you use autogain, in the newer atomixmp3 that works well, it helps alot. just make sure you play through each song before dropping them, that helps.

hardware gain better than software eq? huh? that confused me.

the best you can do is to use the latest version with autogain on and play all the way though the tracks before you play them live to get 100% level info. use the PFL meters and the headphones to get it as close as you can.

i went one step further and got an external compressor/limiter. i hook it up between the mixer and the amp, and crank the mixer final output way high. then I bring the output down a little with the compressor, then raise it back up with the final gain control of the compressor. then I set the limiter to clip the peaks.
my compressor is a behringer MDX2200. I'm happy with it, enough that I would miss it badly if it dissappeared.

I paid $100 for it... and that was at a local shop, they can probably be found cheaper online.

http://www.behringer.com/MDX2200

Posted Fri 15 Mar 02 @ 3:13 am
Thanks for telling me that !!! Any more ideas guys ?

Posted Sun 17 Mar 02 @ 12:15 am
dj2nvHome userMember since 2004
i prefer usin hardware gain on my mixer (Behringer DX500) because of the mixers very accurate pfl VU meters..
but thats just me............

.::DJ Ben Jammin::.

Posted Sun 17 Mar 02 @ 3:41 am
SalvaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Oke Oke i wont say it again, but guy's this is the best solution.

Grtz Dynamic Salva ;-))

Posted Sun 17 Mar 02 @ 9:23 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)