Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Need advice... Anybody?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I really need advice with something, it is advice of a legal nature:

A website that I visit has a forum. We shall call it website 'A'. This forum is is an EZBoard forum. Website 'A' links to this EZBoard forum. I wrote many messages on the EZBoard forum. The author of website 'A' has recently taken all of my messages from the EXBoard forum and put them on his website (website 'A') under the name 'Book of Satan'. My nickname used when writing the messages and IP Address logged at time of writing messages is including in website 'A's 'Book of Satan'. One message has had parts removed to change the meaning of my message to meet the aims of the author of website 'A'.

Now, I want this so-called 'Book of Satan' with all my messages on, removed as soon as possible. I also want any mention of me removed from website 'A'. What are my rights here? Do I retain copyright of the messages? When I write something on the EZBoard forums, do I give copyright to EZBoard and am I correct in thinking that website 'A' has no permission or right anyway to put my messages on the said website 'A'?

One last thing - If I write a message on any web forum, do I have the right to demand it's removal if and when I decide?

Thank you for any help you can offer me. This is a serious issue.

Concerned.

Posted Wed 13 Feb 02 @ 5:14 pm
Yan-XPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
If the website A is a legal website (not a warez website simply mail the webmaster or the support team to ask for delete the message.

Posted Wed 13 Feb 02 @ 5:49 pm
Thanks Yan. The website is legal, yes.

There is something else I must point out, the website address for the forum is this:

http://www.**********.com/ezbrd/b**********.htm

where the '*'s denote website 'A's address. Now, although there is /ezbrd/ there, I assume meaning EZBoard forums, the site begins with website 'A's address, does this mean that I was actually posting to website 'A' thereby giving website 'A' permission to print my messages on any part of the website?

Even if this is so, can I still demand that website 'A' remove all of my messages? The messages can all be proved to be from me, as my IP address was recorded with every message and is static, so it does not ever change.

I ask all of this because despite asking for the messages to be removed, nothing has happened.

Also, what about the EZBoard forum, can I ask for messages to be deleted from there as well?

Thanks for any help.

Posted Fri 15 Feb 02 @ 11:34 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)