Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Dual CM8738 Sound Cards + Mixer - Success [info inside]

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

nateHome userMember since 2001
Greetings,

I've just ordered an external mixer... And was presented with the issue of how to hook up my PC to a mixer.
Of course, you must have either 2 soundcards, or a 3D card.

issue a) 3D sound card doesnt sound very well in 3D mode (common problem with atomixmp3 and 3D cards)
issue b) two different [varietys of] cards will have two different drivers, therefor different latencys (and the beatgraph wont mean a thing)
issue c) price: must be affordable, as I'm a poor fellow for now

So... I had to figure out which soundboard would allow more than one of itself in the same box, coexist with a SoundBlaster Live!, provide two windows devices (one for each soundcard), have working drivers for WinXP, be friendly with AtomixMP3, and sonud good.

After trying a few cards, finding out lots of soundcards dont support more than one card in the machine, I found the CMedia 8738 to be my success.

I have two CM8738 cards in my system now. The total cost: $30 ($15/ea) - The latency is exactly the same (same driver), they dont cause any coexistance problems, and I can still retain my original card (SB Live) for windows sounds.

Config:
Piii-560, 256MB RAM, WinXP, DX 8.1, (2) CM 8738, (1) SB Live!, 3DFX Voodoo4500, Diamond Fireport SCSI, Intel Pro100 NIC, Gigabit GA6DX motherboard, AtomixMP3 2.0, CMedia 8738 Driver (CMAUDIO.SYS) version 5.12.01.629

Just figured I'd post that this configuration works...
-Nate

Posted Mon 03 Dec 01 @ 12:04 am
DJtalonHome userMember since 2001
Yeah, but can you use the software equalizer with the external mixer?

I sure can't and my mixer is a peice of trash with no EQ... :-(

Posted Mon 03 Dec 01 @ 5:48 am
I think that is planned in the next upgrade.

Posted Mon 03 Dec 01 @ 1:03 pm
mhvuHome userMember since 2003
Good price ($30 for 2), but have you try to recod your mix and listen to it? How is the playback quality?
I hope it's good otherwise it's kinda sux to use atomix and cant record your mix or
I had 2 soundcards (a old skool SoundBlaster PnP and an onboard audio card), and for all I know, the two soundcards are not the same, and the recording sux big time. So, I bought a Santa Cruz soundcard (top of the line as they claim) for about $60.
It's totally worth it. I used 2 soundcards configuration with an external mixer even my card is 3D.

Posted Mon 03 Dec 01 @ 5:21 pm
nateHome userMember since 2001
Yes, from what I've read there is an update it the works.

The issue is a seperate hardware-level module will need to be written for the EQ's to work directly upon the hardware.

The two boards I use sound fairly nice. They are generic CM8738 boards made by Intech (if I recall, i'm not a home to look at em now), and were purchased at Fry's electronics. The output sounds the same as my SB Live! even on my cerwin vegas... and the S/N ratio of the cheap cards is spec'd at 90db, better than the mixer.

As far as recording goes, I record with a Sony MD deck... Works out nicely.

Mixer without an EQ? Those are getting rare these days, must be an oldschool battle mixer :D

Posted Mon 03 Dec 01 @ 10:23 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)