Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Do you have a VIA Chipset and Win2000...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

If you do then my experience might help you.

I have a Via chipset on my motherboard, and as with all Via chipsets you get a driver CD with the 4in1 driver package on it. I installed the drivers from this CD, it only shows the ones that are needed for your version of Windoze, so you just install the ones it gives you in the options.

Anyway, these drivers came with a new motherboard I had just purchased, since I was putting in a new board, I decided to also replace WinMe with Windoze 2000. I did this and started using Windoze 2000, to my dismay, Windoze kept on freezing. I eventually found the problem. The IDE driver that comes as part of the VIA 4in1 package should NOT be installed, it was the cause of the constant crashes. I ran the Via 4in1 setup again, when asked what drivers I would like to install, I unchecked all but the IDE driver, you then get the option to install or uninstall that driver. I chose uninstall, and have had no problems since. I can start doing my mixes again without fear of Windoze crashing and losing me my hard work.

One note: When you install a newer version of the 4in1 drivers, you should first remove the old ones. Since I had not done that, when uninstalling the IDE driver, I first ran the latest release of 4in1 that I had used and uninstalled the IDE driver using that, when that was done and I had restarted, I ran the original 4in1 release and chose uninstall IDE driver for that one too. This is necessary.

Hope this helps people, as it was a nightmare for me finding out that this was the problem.

Posted Sat 22 Sep 01 @ 9:32 pm
Well, it seems I was a little premature. Despite the frequency of crashes having gone down, it did just crash again a minute ago.

I was just downloading tunes off WinMx when it happened, it is still random.

I managed to knock out a 1 hour mix yesterday for the first time since installing Windoze 2000, normally it would crash about 30 minutes into the mix.

So what now is causing it to crash?!?! It isn't crashing so often, so removing the Via 4in1 IDE driver has helped but isn't a total cure. There must be someone out there with some idea?

Posted Sun 23 Sep 01 @ 3:31 pm
I had a similar problem when i upgraded to Windows XP..Atomix kept crashing .. what i did was remove Atomix and then reinstalled it .. that stoped the crashing problem.. i thought it was a driver problem with the VIA chipset.. it turned out it wasnt.. hope this helps

Posted Sun 23 Sep 01 @ 8:01 pm
It's not just when using Atomix, it happens at any time. This morning I installed a patch from AMD for problems between Win2000 and AGP cards. It didn't specify what the problem actually caused, but I installed it anyway. Touch wood, the computer has been on all day since and has not crashed.

Posted Sun 23 Sep 01 @ 9:51 pm
Try going to the Via website to download any newer 4-in-1 drivers

Posted Mon 24 Sep 01 @ 6:14 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)