Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Whats best for Atomix type programs - Pentium or AMD?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am going to upgrade my computer as Atomix skips too much, especially in recording mode.

I have my eyes set on an AMD Athlon 1Ghz. I am quite sure this would run Atomix smoothly (and other mixing/audio programs which also won't run properly at the moment...)

I have heard though, that Pentiums are better for multimedia? The problem is any Pentium chip running at 1Ghz is 3 to 4 times the price of the equivalent AMD chip.

The only Pentium I can buy for the same price as the AMD 1Ghz, is a Pentium 3 700Mhz. Would this Pentium still outdo the Athlon processor though, despite it being a P3 and a lesser speed?

Any info would be appreciated,

cheers

Posted Tue 28 Aug 01 @ 1:50 pm
Na, go with AMD, I've got a 1.2GHz overclocked to 1.5GHz, and it'll still flog a Pentium4 1.5GHz, anyway in Atomix anything above 600MHz will be fine. I use to use it on my old Celeron 600, and it never skipped a beat back then.
AMD or Intel, well thats up to you to decide. =)

BYE

Posted Tue 28 Aug 01 @ 2:16 pm
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I use it on a PIII@500 and a AMD K7@1000. The first with 256MB RAM as an "only music comp", and the other with 392MB RAM as my "normal" comp and server. Both work absolutely without any problems! A few months ago, I used AtomixMP3 on the AMD with only 128MB and it also did it´s job great.

mama

Posted Wed 29 Aug 01 @ 9:47 am
I've run Atomix on a AMD Athlon 800 with 1gig of memory, a AMD Duron 800 with half a gig of memory and a Dell Inspiron Laptop (PIII 750) with 256meg of memory.
All Windows 2000 sp2.

And Atomix runs sweet as can be on all the systems.

Posted Fri 31 Aug 01 @ 6:03 pm
How surprising...

Posted Fri 31 Aug 01 @ 7:19 pm
Got an AMD Athlon 1Ghz in the end. And extra RAM to boost it to 196Mb's. Even with all this and a hard drive defragment, Atomix doesn't run very smoothly. Better, but still not right.

Traktor, however, runs smooth as can be now, so I'm using that all the time. Goodbye Atomix.

Posted Wed 05 Sep 01 @ 8:05 pm
my system is slower then recommended and works great.
i've got a P2@266 laptop 160 megs ram and win2k
i can even surf the web at the same time w/o skips

Posted Fri 07 Sep 01 @ 9:28 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)