Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Plugging in controller = bypasses software master/headphone audio controls - why?
smt923ControlleristMember since 2022
I have a DDJ 400, I'm getting pretty tired of RB and the new stems made me really want to try virtual dj but I'm running into a bit of a brick wall of an issue, because it's easier for setup and for streaming I'm using my controller without any audio cables, I'm simply routing the output of the software directly to voicemeteer so I can record/stream just like that (after all, the audio is already coming from the software, so I don't have much reason to send it out of my PC and then immediately back in)

this setup works fine in virtual DJ if I don't have my controller plugged in, master and headphone volumes all adjust volumes as you'd expect, as soon as I plug my controller in however this seems to get 'bypassed', even when I specifically tell the software to use 'computer audio' and not the 'ddj 400' audio interface, which is where I would expect this to happen, but this happens on both and means I can't really use my audio setup with virtual DJ and would be forced to use my headphones in the DDJ when I know it doesn't have to be like this, why can't I just disable virtual DJ from 'bypassing' the master/headphone audio sections with a controller plugged in? the controller is just a controller after all anyway

https://i.imgur.com/u4cUOWe.png

https://i.imgur.com/I9nbk2z.png

in the last image for instance, you can see ALL of my master/headphone audio settings are down (the controller does move these settings, or I can move it with my mouse, it doesn't matter) yet I have both master and headphone audio coming in at the same volume regardless of what I do here

I really hope I'm just missing something simple but I've been going through every setting and I can't stop this behavior

Posted Wed 07 Dec 22 @ 3:52 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
In the mapping of the DDJ-400, you need to remove the fake_* items from ONINIT if you want to use them with your own master/headphones output.

Posted Wed 07 Dec 22 @ 4:00 pm
smt923ControlleristMember since 2022
oh it really was that simple! is this documented somewhere and I just missed it? it's a little out of the way to just stumble on that imo, but I appreciate it thank you very much

Posted Wed 07 Dec 22 @ 4:03 pm
ayemixerControlleristMember since 2015
Hello. I am having a similar issue. I am using a Hercules Inpulse 500 as a controller, and a Komplete Audio 6 as my outputs. I was having the same issue, where moving the master volume knob either in hardware or software was having no effect. I removed the ONINIT lines as mentioned above, and the audio coming out of my speakers is now properly controlled.

However, when recording, this has no effect on the mix. I am recording raw WAV at 24-bit 96kHz (for a vinyl cut) and the output file has no variation in volume whatever the master volume is set to.

I tried looking though the scripting settings on my own, but can not seem to find anything related to control of recording output levels. Any help is much appreciated.

Posted Wed 21 Dec 22 @ 11:35 pm
That's to be expected (normal operation)
Typically on a mixer, master output does not affect recording levels. That's how VirtualDJ records as well.
This way you can record an entire session on a club for instance without worrying about variations on your recorded mix due to variation on the master level.

Posted Thu 22 Dec 22 @ 8:34 am
ayemixerControlleristMember since 2015
Gotcha. Many thanks for the info. If I wanted to be able to have level monitored recording, would I be able to use Ableton Live Lite (came with mixer) to record the output of a normal VDJ session?

I am assuming with that approach what I hear would correspond to the level being recorded at.

Thank you.

Posted Thu 22 Dec 22 @ 9:37 pm