Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Stable working version of Virtual DJ - Page: 1
For the life of the DJ community is there a stable version of this program that does not Stop Freeze No Response etc.... any advice is better than nothing at all ...

Posted Fri 17 Dec 21 @ 4:15 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006

Posted Fri 17 Dec 21 @ 4:21 pm
Adion wrote :
https://www.virtualdj.com/download/index.html

HUH !!!!

Posted Fri 17 Dec 21 @ 4:32 pm
Literally any version is stable, including the beta ones.

Think you better start looking at your system rather than the program.

Posted Fri 17 Dec 21 @ 4:53 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Literally any version is stable, including the beta ones.

Think you better start looking at your system rather than the program.

My computer is top and honor plus controller all updated firmware.. If any version is stable then why is there so much gossip that it is not ..... because it isn't

Posted Fri 17 Dec 21 @ 5:06 pm
Done lots of gigs this month and not the slightest glitch.

Posted Fri 17 Dec 21 @ 5:12 pm
On any forum like this, there will always seem to be lots of people having problems - because that's why they post.

For every one person having an issue there are probably thousands using VDJ flawlessly (I'm one of them).

All those DJs who are using VirtualDJ day in day out for hours on end with no issues at all have no reason to ask for support, so you don't see thousands of messages saying how their software is working just fine.

user16576278 wrote :

My computer is top

Well maybe it is, but if VDJ is not running reliably then something is causing it. You need to report issues and provide as much detail as possible.

Posted Fri 17 Dec 21 @ 5:12 pm
I have never had stability problems with VDJ. That spans over six different laptops.

Posted Fri 17 Dec 21 @ 5:14 pm
fallguy66 wrote :
I have never had stability problems with VDJ. That spans over six different laptops.

You are running build 6781 on Mac or Windows ?

Posted Fri 17 Dec 21 @ 5:23 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Done lots of gigs this month and not the slightest glitch.

What skin are you Running?

Posted Fri 17 Dec 21 @ 5:24 pm
user16576278 wrote :
What skin are you Running?

Blocks by djDad

Skins won't generally cause issues as the official ones are all tested prior to release.

Posted Fri 17 Dec 21 @ 6:01 pm
Working perfect. No issues. Macbook pro 15 2018. Video every gig. 2-3 per week since 2019. Probably something with your computer or settings.

Posted Fri 17 Dec 21 @ 8:24 pm
charliebuddrocker wrote :
Working perfect. No issues. Macbook pro 15 2018. Video every gig. 2-3 per week since 2019. Probably something with your computer or settings.

You are running the newest version also??

Posted Fri 17 Dec 21 @ 8:40 pm
Yes. Always latest stable version on the Mac that i use at work 1-2 weeks after release. Early release is only for test at home.

Posted Fri 17 Dec 21 @ 11:02 pm
You are running build 6781 on Mac or Windows

I am using windows 10 and i always get the early updates.

Posted Sat 18 Dec 21 @ 12:58 pm
For stability always go with the latest public version, which is always the on on the download page (the one Adion links in the first answer)

Posted Sat 18 Dec 21 @ 1:51 pm
klausmogensen wrote :
For stability always go with the latest public version, which is always the on on the download page (the one Adion links in the first answer)

True. My point was even with early access I never had stability problems.

Posted Sat 18 Dec 21 @ 5:38 pm
fallguy66 wrote :
even with early access I never had stability problems.

That's my experience too. Today when I opened VDJ to start my Twitch stream, it offered me an update.

I installed and immediately did a three hour stream with graphics fed in from Resolume, local + streamed music, requests coming in from Ask The DJ and various sample pad overlays - all without any issues.

Posted Sat 18 Dec 21 @ 5:59 pm
I tend to stick to main releases on my gig machine however I install the prerelease versions on my home PCs and no issues for quite a while now.

Posted Sat 18 Dec 21 @ 8:33 pm
For anyone that knows a little about software it won't take him more than 5 minutes to know that there is going to be trouble ahead with VDJ. You don't even have to really use the program much to know that. If you can't determine that for yourself then you currently suck as a tester. But most of you are end users and it is not your job to test programs. So here we go, they hand out a new version for FREE they like to tell you :) Sometimes with new features that are forced on you, sometimes with features that no longer exist, and usually new bugs. One of the Atomix employers once said they do sometimes force features on you so you get a peak etc. I think that is a load of crap. I believe they do this to force you to test those features. So you all are the primary testers of VDJ. People that don't know how to test and are not supposed to know how to test. You guys are good for feature testing and that's about it. I am not saying this to be mean and this is on behalf to the VDJ end users. They don't like it when I tell truth. After all they can tell you just about anything and most of you will believe it. They have done an outstanding job gaining your trust and support. But I think they do a very poor job of giving that back to you. Let's see you are the primary testers. People that don't know how to test. That is not your fault. So they say you are not supposed to use the pre-release version live right away. Ok but when are you supposed to use it? VDJ is a complex program and like any such program it will have problems. So apparently VDJ never gets tested by people who know what they are doing. These people are worth their weight in gold. They can save an enormous amount of time and hit on everything from crashes to design etc. I am a programmer and all programmers do a lot of testing. But programmers are not the best testers and are focused more on other things. Now a complex program like VDJ that never gets professionally tested is bound to have problems from minor to severe. I have been doing this for seems like hundreds of years and just common sense to me and the people I work with. Never have to argue about these things like I have had to do here.

Now I really can't call VDJ stable and neither can anyone else. Nobody knows. I guess it is in how you define stable. Yeah I can use it and it hasn't crashed on me on awhile but I don't hammer on it either. Testers are going to find hundreds of bugs in VDJ. Same with most software that gets well tested. So there are going to be bugs in VDJ that popup sort of randomly. They might occur on some machines and not others and on some versions of an OS and not others. This does not mean it is not a bug in the software and it most likely is. Most programmers I know blame the software first as it is the most likely thing that will cause a problem. Usually this is also a pretty easy thing to narrow down by trying the same things in other programs if you can. That's not that way they do it here though. Here they like to blame everything else but their software. Most people blaming something else are either clueless or trying to gain favor with Atomix. Problems can be anything but start with the software. So people will report some problem and they might get a new machine or something and the problem goes away. Well must of been the machine right? Not normally. Now that problem has gone into limbo and never gets addressed so it lies waiting for the next person. That happens a lot here. When someone has a problem it is a golden opportunity to fix that problem.

They used to like to say that 99 percent of bugs in VDJ are user errors. Usually said by someone trying to get a star or gain favor in some way. The person saying it has no clue. That is some right of passage into Atomix I take it. But in the case of VDJ 99 percent of bugs are within the software. No one can tell about user problems because some of the interface is confused and user doesn't know whats up. I believe they have convinced most of you that they can do no wrong and the problem must be your own fault. I have often wondered how many have had problems and did not bother to report them because they have been convinced it is their fault and might be embarrassing. It is quite easy to spread falsehoods with technology. Sometimes people here will report things as fact and they are not necessarily lying. They just have learned the wrong thing.

When a club says you can't use VDJ in their club you don't have an argument. It does not mean that you can''t do a great professional show with VDJ. They don't want to risk having problems with software that is tested mostly by people who don't know how to test. Software that might not do what it did on last version. Surprise !

So they have done a good job convincing you that nothing is their fault. It would be in your best interest to learn a little bit about software. Not brain science. Then you can spot the problems as easily as I can. Then rather then giving them all praise and glory and you pressure them into improving the software.

With VDJ 7 I though they were on the way in creating a special program. While 7 could not do the things 8 can, it didn't have the assortment of amateur bugs that are in 8. I have said before that I don't get Atomix. They have the foundation for something good but don't act on it. I think people want to be proud of what they do and will work to achieve a goal but it does not appear they have the drive for whatever reason. Some of you might remember Ron. He used to post here causing some kind of friction etc. Once he said that their seems to be some kind of conspiracy going on with Atomix. We just kind of blew it off like we normally did with Ron. Well to me things just don't make sense with them. Is it a front for another company lol. Who knows. I hope they wake up and succeed.

The funny or sad thing is when I say something like this they never bother to ask me to show them these bugs I am talking about. It's either they know they exist as stated or if they ask they know I will show them the bugs. I don't make stuff up. I don't bother to post bug reports anymore.

They will probably remove this post and start calling me names. But they should leave it as it is constructive.

Posted Thu 20 Jan 22 @ 7:34 pm
43%