Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DJ Music Video Production Multi-Tracked Mix (MP4)
xylumePRO InfinityMember since 2015
I'm officially Pro Infinity License user!

I have a few questions regarding DJ Music Video Mixing. When I record my video mix using the MP4 container, the video records at 30 FPS and the audio records at 256 Kbps. I have the recordQuality set to High, recordBitDepth set to 16-bit (24-bit can only be used in wav and flac), and sampleRate 44100.

I have my skinFPS set to 144 (I have an AMD XFX RX580 8.0GB / Ryzen 5 3600, 144ms FreeSync Monitor), powerGPU set to High Power, recordVideoResolution 1920x1080, and videoFPS set to 60 (used by the video engine).

I was wondering why the recordings aren't 60 FPS? I'm guessing VDJ knows that 24 FPS videos won't translate well into 60 FPS? I've toggled back and forth between 30 and 60 FPS, but it records at 30 FPS. Should I change it to 24 FPS and will it work? I'm also wondering why the MP4 recording output changes from AAC 319 Kbps to AAC 255 Kbps? Is this the maximum quality for video recordings? I've tried WebM, but the video quality was choppy and pixelated.

Should I just use the 30 FPS MP4 at 255 Kbps (sounds decent) or should I try to sync a 320 Kbps audio mix to the video mix, so that YouTube can have a higher source file to create its own final streaming output? Video Editing software encdes at around 384 Kbps, then YouTube creates it's own AAC that's less than 320 Kbps, but I wanted to keep the video mixes for me to enjoy on my PC as well.

The reason I'm asking's because I like to add custom produced DJ Drops and use Ozone iZotope VST plugins in my DAW to maximize my loudness to around 14 LUFS, add other VSTs to add time effects, and more for a polished post-production (non live type of production mixing). Also, I've seen other VDJs make a video mix for YouTube with music videos and their web cam over their DJ equipment, and they're at 1080p 60 FPS. If you use a video project timeline at 60 FPS and use 30 FPS videos, it can cause choppiness and stuttering videos.

So my options are to just keep the lower quality audio (it sounds fine), or try to make the video mix in Ableton Live or Cubase. Few DAWs support videos and few video editors support DAW like control over audio. I've made multi-tracked video mixes before, but I've used cut music videos into pieces to make a custom music video to my custom multi-tracked mix (my other favorite style).

I wanted to push beyond the normal live style of video mixing, but I like that VDJ can change the BPM of the video and audio. I'm fine with what the developers have created with VDJ2021, it's the best software on the planet! The future of music, DJs, Producers, VDJs, and Artists look great! Technology's pushing us further into creative possibilities!

Posted Fri 16 Apr 21 @ 6:12 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Recording with 60 fps is possible in the current Early Access release.

Posted Fri 16 Apr 21 @ 7:02 am
Thanks for the info ADION! I'm glad to hear the news!

Posted Fri 16 Apr 21 @ 7:07 am
60 FPS works now and thanks again!

Posted Fri 16 Apr 21 @ 7:30 am
I've tested out 19 min (11 music videos) at 60 FPS and the render performed perfectly! I can provide a link in case anyone wants to to see the quality of a simple 2 track mix without any overlays. The next step's to make longer mixes, use drops, and then try multi-tracked video mixing. The new VDJ FX are so useful!

Xylume Hip Hop R&B DJ Video Mix 1 (https://youtu.be/O2P8xiYgmmM)

Posted Fri 16 Apr 21 @ 6:03 pm
user12251628 wrote :
I've tested out 19 min (11 music videos) at 60 FPS and the render performed perfectly! I can provide a link in case anyone wants to to see the quality of a simple 2 track mix without any overlays. The next step's to make longer mixes, use drops, and then try multi-tracked video mixing. The new VDJ FX are so useful!

Xylume Hip Hop R&B DJ Video Mix 1 (https://youtu.be/O2P8xiYgmmM)

That looks awesome!! Very clean!! Great mix by the way 🤙🏾

Posted Mon 19 Apr 21 @ 10:57 pm
Thanks, THE SOUND INSURGENT! I'm happy with VDJ2021's sound quality and frame rates. I'm using a Hercules InPulse 200 for now, but since I'm a new Pro Infinity Licensed user, I can finally upgrade to any gear in the future. I'm going to keep it going and continue practicing for the rest of my life!

Posted Tue 20 Apr 21 @ 5:10 am
Agree with Huey, great mix!

Posted Tue 20 Apr 21 @ 7:21 am
Wow, really a great mix)) I'm just asking myself why are there only 40-50 views? The video is cool and sounds chill. Also what video editor have you used to merge the whole video? I know there're plenty of softwares, but a great number of them destroy the quality so much... hate this( A friend of mine suggested me movavi Has anyone here tried it?

Posted Thu 27 May 21 @ 5:00 pm
I've recently upgraded to CyberLink PowerDirector 19 for my video editing mostly because I'm used to the workflow and it renders faster than any other software. I've recently started exporting the audio from the mix into a DAW and adding my drops there, using VSTs and using iZotope Ozone 9 to get the polished sound at around 13.5 to 14 LUFS (-1.1dB) so that it'll be YouTube friendly. It renders the audio at 384 kbps which seems to preserve the 320 kbps original quality. If I'm recording a non-video mixe, I go for WAV files.

Another video editor that I'm interested in is VEGAS Movie Studio 17 Platinum which is half the price at $49.95. It has ASIO and VST support. It won't render as fast, but it could be useful to own more than one video editor, just like I prefer to own more than one DAW.

I've just completed a brand new DJ Multi-Track Production Mix using VDJ8.5 and I'm planning on editing the video for it and uploading it to YouTube.

Posted Fri 28 May 21 @ 10:07 am