Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Resize Skin?
Hi!

I'm switching from from an older mac to a new one with retina display, and I want to use the full potential of it for my skin.
Once there was a small software to resize skins.
Sadly it only worked with VDJ7 skins.

Is there something similar, or is there any reliable way to resize a VDJ8 skin?
At least something which converts the most elements roughly to their new size/position and I do the small adjustments afterwards? (Doesn't matter if its on Mac or Windows, I got both.)
It's also ok if it's in an app like dreamweaver or sublime text or something.

Posted Fri 02 Apr 21 @ 6:58 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
There is no need for this anymore. VirtualDJ can resize by itself.

Posted Fri 02 Apr 21 @ 7:07 pm
I know.
But as it seems the dropdown menus and my 8pt sized font are appearing 262,5% bigger.
The steps of my font-sizes are really rough so that no fine adjustments are possible.
Additionally to that, moving something by 1 pixel in the original file moves it by 26 pixels in the resulting resolution.
So this is sadly by far not what I meant with "using the full potential".
Nevertheless I appreciate your answer, but I would also be happy about a solution that fixes this.

Posted Tue 06 Apr 21 @ 7:27 am
Well TBH pixel count by itself should not matter to you.
What should matter is what you see!

Let me put it this way:
I code my skins at 1920x1080 screen resolution and I see them on a 17 inch screen
Recently I purchased a 43 inch TV monitor that runs at 4K (3840x2160)
So, when I run the Full HD skin on 4K TV monitor, all dimensions are double.
I move something on the XML by one pixel, and it moves two pixels on screen.

But it doesn't really matter!!!
Because what really matters is the logical spacing and scaling.
If I was to reduce gaps from let's say 4 pixels in full HD to 4 pixels in 4K I would alter the scaling. And I would not really see much of a difference either. Or to be fair, most likely I would squeeze it too much to be able to see things clearly from a distance.

Now, for Retina dispalys:
I use a Retina MAC for quite some time, and I always use the standard resolution skins (1920x1080) without issues.
Remember that you may have more pixels on your screen, but you have a much bigger PPI (pixels per inch) which means that small adjustments of 2/3 pixels (in native resolution) would be almost invisble to your eye.
Finally, if you're using your own skin, change "size" attribute to "fontsize" for all text elements.
This gives much better flexibility since the final size is automatically calculated based on several criteria (including PPI)

Posted Tue 06 Apr 21 @ 7:55 am
andy-chiles wrote :
Nevertheless I appreciate your answer, but I would also be happy about a solution that fixes this.

Fix what ?

When you use a skin that's not set to 1:1 ratio, scaling is taking place and you can't move something by one pixel on the XML and have it move one pixel on screen.
If you want you can code/recode a skin at native retina resolution and be able to move everything by one pixel.
But as I said above, it will be almost pointles given the PPI of retina.

Even if VirtualDJ provided the default skin in native retina display, everything would just be scaled up in the XML file in order to keep the same proportions.
Therefore the final (visible) result would be the same as now.

If you're using your own skin, then you can either leave it as is (and use native scaling) or rescale everything on your XML which would allow you to move things by one pixel on screen.
Therefore, no fix is applicable here either.

Posted Tue 06 Apr 21 @ 8:05 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
andy-chiles wrote :
I know.
But as it seems the dropdown menus and my 8pt sized font are appearing 262,5% bigger.
The steps of my font-sizes are really rough so that no fine adjustments are possible.
Additionally to that, moving something by 1 pixel in the original file moves it by 26 pixels in the resulting resolution.
So this is sadly by far not what I meant with "using the full potential".

I guess this must be a typo, unless you are going from a monitor from the '80s to an 8k display?
Even a v7 skin originally designed for 640x480 displayed on a 4k monitor would only result in 6x doubling, so not sure how you come up with the 26 pixel difference.

Posted Tue 06 Apr 21 @ 9:49 am