Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Roland DJ-808 FIlter knobs

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

The filter knobs on my Roland Dj-808 are doing nothing Audibly or visually. I do not hear them doing anything, They are not moving anything up on the the software . In the mapping I can't see them listed on the mapped list. I know that they are recognized by the software because when I turn them, they appear. Does anyongeknow the proper syntax to get them working on all 4 decks with a full kill when turned either direction?

Posted Mon 08 Mar 21 @ 9:54 am
Only the filter knob?
These are hardware only knobs (if remember right), and they do not control anything in software.
You select what they do in the center area of teh mixer (echo, jet, noise, filter)

In other words you should hear what it does, but it doesnt control the software (its not software knobs). It might still send midi, but this is used just to have visual indicators (a moving knob in skin), but as a "fake" fader..

https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/roland/dj808/layout/mixer.html

Posted Mon 08 Mar 21 @ 11:42 am
Okay thank you. YEah. the 4 buttons in the center. I really cant hear them much and i never use them really. But the lo and hi pass filters.. yes.. love em . anyone know of the syntax i would use to pam them ?

Posted Wed 10 Mar 21 @ 4:55 am
Rune (dj-in-norway) wrote :
Only the filter knob?
These are hardware only knobs (if remember right), and they do not control anything in software.
You select what they do in the center area of teh mixer (echo, jet, noise, filter)

In other words you should hear what it does, but it doesnt control the software (its not software knobs). It might still send midi, but this is used just to have visual indicators (a moving knob in skin), but as a "fake" fader..

https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/roland/dj808/layout/mixer.html

Thank You for the reply. It took me not being drunk to realize when you were saying. Yeah, I know how they work in Serato. Those fx aren't even working in vdj currently. I honestly never used em much anyway. I do know that the filter knobs did in fact work on the software fx. My decks were broke for a few months and I really couldn't remember how long they have not been functional. What I do know for sure is that, On the mixer tab, on the screen. They do not turn. Period. They are not mapped in any sort of way and I cant even use them in 5 knob stems. So basically. I would like to know the syntax, because they do function when i turn them on the mapping screen in settings; to be able to get them to work as normal Filter knobs on all 4 of my decks as well as stem knobs in the 5 knob setup.

I am about to start figuring this out but hell.. I have never mapped. I will probably get a reply sooner than I figure it out. I thank you in advance. Cheers

Posted Wed 14 Apr 21 @ 2:52 am
oleanlPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I had a similar issue on the Roland DJ-707m, which also has hardware channel filter/fx.

VDJ shows "Filter" for channels 1,3, 4, and "Loop roll" for channel 2.
I was unable to select other effects in VDJ, and VDJ showed a message about "hardware feature".
When i turned the physical knobs, the stated effects were applied and position of the knobs were reflected in the user interface.

Selecting different effects on the controller did not change anything.

In the mapping menu i simply deleted the action for the filter button.
Now the physical filter/fx buttons applies the effects selected on the controller.
Button position is no longer updated in the user interface.

Posted Wed 14 Apr 21 @ 7:12 pm
oleanlPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I think I finally figured out what was causing problems with the filters for me.

In mapping ONINT for my controller there is a "fake_filter on" command, it looks like this command prevents you from selecting a filter in VDJ. Unfortuneatly it does not disable filters that are already selected.
This means that both software and hardware filters were applied at the same time.

What I did to resolve this:
Removed the "fake_filter on &" from ONINIT.
Restarted VDJ.
Disabled all software filters.
Put "fake filter on &" back into ONINIT.
Remapped FILTER knob to filter.

Now everything works like it should, filters are selected on the controller, and the position of the knob is reflected in the user interface.

Posted Wed 14 Apr 21 @ 10:07 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)