Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Animated GIFs no longer animate when saved as vdjsample

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

The title describes the problem.

The GIFs are animated. If I load them directly to the sample pads and play them, they animate.

However, they are listed as drops.

The only way to change them to loops is to edit them, at which point VDJ then insists on saving as a vdjsample file. The problem is, the result is no longer animated.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 21 @ 11:42 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Tried, but still playing animated here.
When you open the sample editor, you do get the 'Video' button at the bottom?

Posted Fri 22 Jan 21 @ 5:16 am
Yes, I see the video button, and the timeline displays the movement (each frame is different) and when I play it in the editor, the animation works. But If I allow VDJ to save it as vdjsample, the timeline only shows the first frame (rest of timeline black) and the animation is gone.

The GIF file was generated from the site below, if you want to try it.
https://flamingtext.com/logo/Design-3D-Text

Posted Fri 22 Jan 21 @ 1:58 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
looks like what i experienced last month
Gif animations stopping to work after they were edited, specially to switch loop.... unless audio was switched off
the issue was fixed (for me) in recent builds

Posted Fri 22 Jan 21 @ 2:19 pm
What I've done now is to set the sample as loop, then (after closing VDJ) go in and manually edit the XML file in the sampler folder to point to the original GIF again, rather than the vdjsample file.

Seems to work, but obviously not ideal.

Posted Fri 22 Jan 21 @ 2:24 pm
Ah yes, I added gif to fileFormat list
in a way to allow VDJ to directly link to the correct image in the sampler by drag/drop from the browser
was not working as expected from the OS explorer

Posted Fri 22 Jan 21 @ 3:36 pm
Odd, I don't have gif in fileformat list, I downloaded one from that website, dragged it from explorer into a sample slot, ctrl+click to open sample editor, set to loop and press save, then play the sample and it was still animating for me.

Posted Sat 23 Jan 21 @ 10:05 am
I have sent you one of my files directly.

Just in case it makes a difference Adion, are you on Mac or PC? What web browser are you using?

I'm on Windows 10 using Firefox.

Posted Sat 23 Jan 21 @ 10:31 am
Used Chrome on windows 10, will give it a try with the one you sent me.

Posted Sat 23 Jan 21 @ 10:53 am
Any progress on this? It seems to be file specific. Some animated GIFs (or MP4 versions of) work, but others don't.

There's one I'm strugging with now. Regardless of whether I start with GIF or MP4, as soon as it's saved as a vdjsample, the animation is gone.

I even tried loading the unedited GIF or MP4 file to a deck. It 'plays' but it's not animated.

Posted Wed 27 Jan 21 @ 7:34 pm
Can you try with 6280?

Posted Thu 28 Jan 21 @ 3:29 am
I'm sure that's what I used. Yes, just confirmed, I'm running 6280.

If I press play in the sample editor, it will animate on the screen in the editor. It just won't animate in the video output.

Related to length perhaps? This particular clip is really short (three frames).

Source file (links to GIPHY) http://gph.is/2xORZqz

Posted Thu 28 Jan 21 @ 10:07 am
Did you try your existing vdjsample or create a new one?
6280 probably won't make a difference to an existing vdjsample made from a gif, but using the original gif to make a new vdjsample should work.

Posted Thu 28 Jan 21 @ 10:09 am
I've tried it over and over again, using the same clip in GIF, MP4, vdjsample. It makes no difference.

Even using my previous trick of modifying the sample bank XML to point to the original file doesn't work in this case.

Posted Thu 28 Jan 21 @ 10:25 am
Showing "duration" field gives values 1/6 or 1/12 and can change to 1/24 beat
those working are 5 10 20 beat ... or other more than one full beat

Posted Thu 28 Jan 21 @ 10:58 am
I've just used Photoshop to duplicate the animation and increase the number of frames, and now it works in VDJ.

Amount of frames seems to be the problem. A still image is one frame, so VDJ should regard an animation as anything with two frames and above.

Posted Thu 28 Jan 21 @ 11:16 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)