Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: hey guys...about drive letters..

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

yes,im sharing 2 of my 4 drives with two laptops..at some point a year ago i left extenal drive "E' in my storage as i was travelling and bought another..the confused laptop named the new drive "E" as well (really!)..so you guess it...later i pull my old "E" and there was confusion but it renamed my new one "letter I"..well that was on my old windows 7 maschine ..then i get this new alienware 17 with windows 10 (just as soon as i learned about vdj 2021of course...) and this maschine did a few things wierd (besides rejecting my "passport WD 2tb...thought it was the hard drive cable,dont know...as ive tried everything but cant update its drivers...but then it started problems with my new 4tb "backup plus"..again i thought it was the drive cable...it would go into " fix this drive,format" pop ups...i panicked..but the old alien would fix it..then it wouldnt..so i tried multiple times on both systems..finally i noticed the the windows 10 was fixing or trying to...but it took all night..scanning a 4 tb i imagine..it got fixed where it boots up and able to rewrite..but i had used that drive as a 2nd half of what was in my "C" drive as VST plugins nut under windows but in FL Studio ...where I placed thousands collected over the years ...now its meesed up some of the installs..i noticed the the windowsx 1o system has changed the "I" drive for a "E" letter...I want to changed it back..when i connect that drive back to my old but main studio system it cannot be a "E'..that is reserved foe the older Studio Library of 6 yeras...a Seagate expansion 2 TB...meanwhile there is the vdj Library which are multiple folders everywhere...what to do?...

Posted Thu 13 Aug 20 @ 6:38 am
So ive ordered another 4tb external..when i thought i wouldnt be able to fix the now"I" drive,..I bought another to save the files in the previus 4tb...now I'm thinking if i can clone the one drive so i use one with my older laptop,and the new one for the new laptop...but i need to keep them vdj database working..can we like show vdj the new drive letter for the same library?..or some easy fix?...ive been doing a lot of retagging as i had bounced folserd years ago without knowing that i could just rick click in vdj and select move or copy ...duh...i know yeras ago you guys where rewriting the database xml file for this..i allways shy'dx away from that ..

Posted Thu 13 Aug 20 @ 7:09 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It doesn't matter for virtualdj which drive letter you use.
So if you had your old drive at a E and your database in e:/virtualdj/database.xml it will work fine if you copy everything to i:/ as well

Posted Thu 13 Aug 20 @ 7:16 am
Gracias Senor...well that is encouraging...I hope it all works...Im having to do rescaning in FL Studio..2 versions both on 2 laptops,the same for native instruments...then virtual dj ?...I also make my own.videos for my original music and for favorite tracks of techno artist so i can stay in the video mix and see more transitions as opposed to just mixing mp3's...whatever it takes...but tend to make more work for myself...the price we have to pay...thank you...

Posted Thu 13 Aug 20 @ 8:05 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)