Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pioneer DDJ-800 (4 Deck Mixing) - Page: 1
I'm really bummed out right now. I was informed on this board by Atomix personnel that there was a physical limitation built in to the DDJ-800 which prevents it from true 4 deck mixing. If you try it on VDJ, switching from deck 2 to 4 or from deck 1 to 3 and visa versa, the faders do not retain their value but switch to the value of the new deck. I have been told several times on this board that this limitation was built into the DDJ-800 by Pioneer. That always sounded fishy to me because it makes no sense. Why make a board with all the physical features to do 4 deck mixing, then when you try to perform 4 deck mixing on it, it doesn't let you do it properly? Then the excuse is, "Well that is the way it was created."

Well today I thought I would truly test this information. I loaded up Rekordbox and tried 4 deck mixing on my DDJ-800. Guess what?

NO LIMITATIONS AT ALL

When I switch from deck 1 to deck 3, the faders retain whatever value they had. The values remain separate. Matter of fact, everything in the mixer section remains separate. It is true 4 deck mixing on Rekordbox.

I've been a faithful VDJ user for 10 years now. I really never pictured myself switching software ever.... until today.

Posted Thu 09 Apr 20 @ 5:24 am
(Sigh)

Well after several hours of trying to switch from VDJ to Rekordbox, I have given up. Rekordbox is light years behind VDJ. Horrible search functions. No virtual folders or crates. Horrible customization. The list goes on and on. Just no comparison. All it can do that VDJ can not do is 4 deck mixing on the DDJ-800. Damn it!!!

So back to VDJ I go. Maybe I can switch in the future if somehow Rekordbox can catch up to VDJ.

Posted Thu 09 Apr 20 @ 8:57 am
Have you tried to switch the appropriate setting ?
https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/ddj800/settings.html#miscellaneous

Fourth PAD.

Unfortunately due to Covid-19 lock down we won't have physical access to DDJ-800 for a few weeks, but as far as we can tell the behavior was exactly the same between Rekordbox and VirtualDJ.
If not, we are more than willing to fix it as soon as the lock down ends, or even sooner if you can describe us exactly what's different and we can find the cause of difference.

Posted Thu 09 Apr 20 @ 12:03 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :

If not, we are more than willing to fix it as soon as the lock down ends, or even sooner if you can describe us exactly what's different and we can find the cause of difference.

That's all I'm asking for. Just at least have an open mind and try to help. The 4th pad is not the problem. I'll be HAPPY to make a video showing you how Rekordbox behaves in 4 deck mode and how VDJ does if that will help. The 2 are quite different.

Posted Thu 09 Apr 20 @ 3:37 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
...but as far as we can tell the behavior was exactly the same between Rekordbox and VirtualDJ.

BINGO!!! I think I understand the entire problem now. This is what I learned using Rekordbox last night. Rekordbox's default setting is 2 Channel Mode. When it's in 2 Channel Mode you are 100% correct. It functions exactly the way VDJ functions. So I believe you when you say "...as far as we can tell the behavior was exactly the same between Rekordbox and VirtualDJ."

However, when you go into Rekordbox's preferences and enable 4 Channel Mode, everything changes. That's what I did last night. I enabled 4 Channel Mode in Rekordbox and ALL problems went away. It gave me true 4 deck mixing in every way possible. Here is a screen shot of the Rekordbox setting in preferences:

Posted Thu 09 Apr 20 @ 4:38 pm
Ok. We will try to get our hands on DDJ-800 and investigate ASAP

Posted Thu 09 Apr 20 @ 6:02 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Ok. We will try to get our hands on DDJ-800 and investigate ASAP

THANK YOU so much!!!

Posted Fri 10 Apr 20 @ 1:44 am
Hello Mix Masters of the Universe. I need your help now that Corona has got me shut in. I'm an avid VDJ user, live and die by it. Recently I upgraded
from the Pioneer DDJ SR to the DDJ 800. I'm hoping to get this problem fixed before Corona leaves or gets contained to a level where we can get some normalcy back. The problem, when I plug everything up, there's only sound coming from my MacBook Pro. I checked the audio settings and low and behold it doesn't see the DDJ 800 at all, very strange. I'm still able to get controller usage but the sound is coming thru my pc. Please help a Brutha out.

DJ Kaos

Posted Sat 11 Apr 20 @ 1:20 am
Check security. Make sure any installation of Pioneer software completed fully. More info on the driver/firmware page of Pioneer's site.

Posted Sat 11 Apr 20 @ 6:27 am

Posted Sat 11 Apr 20 @ 11:25 am
BUMP
It's been about a month. Just checking to see if there have been any new developments.

Posted Tue 19 May 20 @ 12:12 am
Hi. We are glad to announce that we were able to identify and fix this bug (regarding 4 decks mixing)
The updated mapper with the solution will be available on our next Early Access release.
Thank you!

Posted Tue 26 May 20 @ 7:58 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Hi. We are glad to announce that we were able to identify and fix this bug (regarding 4 decks mixing)
The updated mapper with the solution will be available on our next Early Access release.
Thank you!

With all the craziness and chaos going on in the world right now, this is some of the best news I've received all year!!!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

Posted Tue 02 Jun 20 @ 4:42 am
DJay 2Legit wrote :
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Thank you!

With all the craziness and chaos going on in the world right now, this is some of the best news I've received all year!!!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

VDJ updated itself last night. I was hoping the fix was in this update, but after testing it, it's still the same. Can you tell me when I should expect the solution to be available?

Posted Mon 15 Jun 20 @ 1:00 am
Do you use a custom mapper ? If yes, you need to use the factory default and maybe redo your changes afterwards.
Custom mappers don't get updated when original mappers do.

PS: The updated is live already! :)

Posted Tue 16 Jun 20 @ 8:42 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Do you use a custom mapper ? If yes, you need to use the factory default and maybe redo your changes afterwards.
Custom mappers don't get updated when original mappers do.

PS: The updated is live already! :)

I finally got a chance to check it out. Yes I use a custom mapper. I just tried it with the factory default. Same result. I do see that you all did make one correction. You allowed the ability to hear both songs (Deck 1 and 3) simultaneously. I applaud you for that, however you're not finished yet. The biggest difference between 4 deck mixing in Rekordbox and VDJ is the mixer settings. If I am playing a song on Deck 1 and I switch to Deck 3... Deck 3's mixer settings (Volume and eq) should not immediately jump to Deck 1's settings. Each deck must retain their individual mixer settings at all times. That's how it works in Rekordbox. This is what VDJ is missing.

If you can make that happen, then you will truly have given us real 4 deck mixing on the DDJ-800.

Btw, I have true 4 deck mixing in VDJ on the DDJ-SR2. Works perfectly. Please do some more research and let me know if you all will be able to accomplish this and I really do thank you for at least trying.

Posted Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 5:36 pm
dceeceePRO InfinityMember since 2018
hey Dj legit. did you get it solved yet i moved over to a Mac and it seems to be working now i remove the old custom one i had before and went with the default. one and the volume issue thing seemed to cleared up. i havent tried it with my pc yet. i will try that to see if im getting the same result as your self. i was on the verge of geeting a 1000. if it didnt get fixed. cuz theres noway im going to rekordbox. lol 😂

Posted Thu 16 Jul 20 @ 5:51 pm
dceecee wrote :
hey Dj legit. did you get it solved yet i moved over to a Mac and it seems to be working now i remove the old custom one i had before and went with the default. one and the volume issue thing seemed to cleared up. i havent tried it with my pc yet. i will try that to see if im getting the same result as your self. i was on the verge of geeting a 1000. if it didnt get fixed. cuz theres noway im going to rekordbox. lol 😂

Nope. It still doesn't work correctly in VDJ. Works perfectly in Rekordbox though... sigh.

Posted Fri 24 Jul 20 @ 5:32 am
I know you guys have been busy with VDJ 2021, so I haven't bothered you about this. However, it's been over a month now so I thought I'd check in to see how things are going.

Any idea if you all can implement the 4 deck mixing on VDJ like it is in Rekordbox?

Posted Fri 24 Jul 20 @ 5:35 am
winrowHome userMember since 2022
Hey DJAY 2LEGIT,

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but did this ever get resolved? I'm interested as I'm looking for a solid VDJ controller and the DDJ-800 looks like, on paper at least, it ticks all the boxes.

Are you also able to tell me how well the controller handles hands on real time stems separation?

Thanks buddy.

Posted Thu 03 Feb 22 @ 4:51 pm
95%