Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Crash, then database problems.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Latest version of Virtual DJ 2020 (early release) 64-bit crashed on start-up.

When I restarted it, it seemed to have to re-add every track to every virtual folder.

It did so, but I lost what I consider important info: when the track was added to the virtual folder, when last played, and how many plays.

Is there any way to recover this information? Unfortunately I did not know that back-ups of the DB were necessary.

Thanks.

Addendum: I just checked the 32 bit version and the database is fine. Is there hope?

Posted Thu 20 Feb 20 @ 7:56 pm
It's a universal database. Close the 32bit version and reboot then try 64bit again.

Posted Thu 20 Feb 20 @ 8:20 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
This is a common "issue" : when VDJ restarts too early after a crash with a bugreport it can reload before the database was released sometimes with a message "database problem", sometimes with no access to database in which case it "virtually'" re-add every track...
This race condition sometimes let VDJ start again while crash handler is already restarting VDJ. You can get 2 Running VDJ in this case, one with access to the database the other one without .. hard to know which.

just quit - both if necessary - and restart is enough to fix everything most of the time

Posted Thu 20 Feb 20 @ 8:39 pm
Phew (breath of relief).

I worked in the 32-bit version a bit. Closed it. The 64-bit version was already closed.

Rebooted for good measure.

DB was restored apparently.

Is it recommended to back-up the database? If so, which file should I backup.

I will put in the cloud as a backup.

Thanks.

Posted Thu 20 Feb 20 @ 9:31 pm
There's a full backup option built in to the software. Was added a few months ago. It saves as a ZIP file and you can restore from the same place too.

Have a look in the manual, sure it will be there.

Posted Thu 20 Feb 20 @ 9:42 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
There's a full backup option built in to the software. Was added a few months ago. It saves as a ZIP file and you can restore from the same place too.

Have a look in the manual, sure it will be there.

Are you sure about that?

I checked the manual and even searched it.

I know it's easy to refer to the manual and gives the user some experience in using online resources, but it's sometimes easier just to TELL SOMEONE. LOL.

Thanks.

Posted Thu 20 Feb 20 @ 10:02 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013

Posted Fri 21 Feb 20 @ 12:49 am

Wow. Thanks. I immediately sent a backup to my Dropbox.

Obviously the key to using it is how often it is actually performed.

Unlike all the other things I have to backup, I hope I can do this regularly.

VDJ is absolutely the "swiss army knife" of mixing software.

Posted Fri 21 Feb 20 @ 11:37 am
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011

Posted Fri 21 Feb 20 @ 1:37 pm
zzzonedotnet wrote :
I hope I can do this regularly

Computers these days generally come with backup methods built in, which you can set to backup your specified files/folders on a schedule.

Posted Fri 21 Feb 20 @ 5:25 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)