Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Projecting to TV's

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I know this is at least partially a Windows issue. But I just upgraded to Windows 7 out of necessity. I use a VGA port on my computer to broadcast video into my club. When I used Windows 7, I would just use the connect to a projector feature and the video for Virtual DJ would automatically go to the screens in the club. Now they don't have that feature per se in Windows 10. But they have extend the monitor. Which is essentially the same thing. But now, when I hit video, while it plays, it doesn't broadcast. When I try to isolate the video window to just drag it over, it disappears and I can't even get to it. It comes up behind the main VDJ screen, and when I try to grab it, it disappears. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a major problem for me. Thank you

Posted Tue 18 Feb 20 @ 11:47 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
Yes the feature already exists
as always make sure video drivers are uptodate...
rightclick the main preview video and select "Fullscreen: WHATEVER THE DRIVER IS"
save settings or restart VDJ to keep the config

Strangely win10 takes some time to keep the video configurations depending on drivers. When it detects new connected displays it does not always show them in the same order/size/position and registers a new config again for every possibility. Once all possibilities are defined - display order size and position - there is no more issues
after what it would work the same windows7 was working

for the video window showing behind the main VDJ window:
on taskbar VDJ is registering both windows in VDJ icon. Select the one you want to toplevel
you may also try to select settings -> options -> video -> videoWindowAlwaysOnTop

Posted Tue 18 Feb 20 @ 12:52 pm
Thank you VERY much for taking the time to answer. I'll give it all a shot and let you know. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to answer and in such detail

Posted Tue 18 Feb 20 @ 6:59 pm
Nicotux. I'm ALMOST there! Lol. When I right click on the preview menu it shows generic monitor, not my separate video card driver like you suggested. Even though it's selected in my video settings. I took a picture of both. Maybe I'm missing a setting. I hate to ask for more help. But I'd greatly appreciate it.

Posted Wed 19 Feb 20 @ 4:59 am

Posted Wed 19 Feb 20 @ 5:12 am
Yes, but everything looks OK
VDJ used to display driver name for every output, it now displays name of connected Monitor instead and only the one(s) without the main VDJ Window
It look like windows was not able to read EDID from external TV, that does not hurt in any way but the name

Posted Wed 19 Feb 20 @ 6:36 am
And yes again,
the windowed video goes automatically anywhere but the main screen or the wanted one

Both are new behavior and once again a feature limitation
- no way to use a transparent main skin on top of video
- no way to get video when "forced on" device is not connected

for me these are bugs - it looks like everything well working and untouched for years are removed one by one in VDJ
as well every new stuffs have issues
some kind of suicide ? who knows

Posted Wed 19 Feb 20 @ 6:56 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
No idea what you're talking about.
The position and size of the video window is stored based on what is connected, so if you had it on the external screen full screen when the monitor is connected, it will show up there when it's connected.
If it's disconnected it will revert to the configuration with no monitors connected, so usually the video window will be windowed on the main screen in that case.
I'm not aware of any changes in this behavior, but if you do have a way to reproduce feel free to explain.

Posted Wed 19 Feb 20 @ 7:21 am
Adion. Thank you for your reply. I understand what it is supposed to do. But it isn't getting there. All the settings appear to be correct. As you can see by the one picture with the arrows pointing to the line, that is where the video box is. I can't grab it to move it over to the next display (or the lengthened monitor space) When I try to grab it, it disappears. I can't double click on it. Nothing. As you can see from the pictures above, it just says generic pnp monitor. I don't know if that makes a difference. But I have a seperate video card and I don't know if it isn't being utilized. Im stumped Thank you again

Posted Wed 19 Feb 20 @ 8:32 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
What if you click he generic pnp monitor again from the drop down?

Posted Wed 19 Feb 20 @ 9:40 am
I'll try when I get back to work. But I believe I actually toggled through and tried combinations of ALL of those options

Posted Wed 19 Feb 20 @ 2:42 pm
Nope. Didn't work

Posted Thu 20 Feb 20 @ 11:29 am
Adion wrote :
...I'm not aware of any changes in this behavior, but if you do have a way to reproduce feel free to explain.

OK, position and size of the video window are stored based on what is connected but
- what is reported as connected by Windows is sometimes wrong or confusing for apps (and people) specially multiple "generic pnp monitor" on multiple same video boards and "always on" not connected display devices
- VDJ Video window position does not seems to be used anymore but with double click in the same screen

Previous builds used to display the name of the driver for every outputs in front of "Fullscreen:" in the video output menu
Now there is a missing one : the one where VDJ main window is located
Clicking on any fullscreen entry the corresponding display show fullscreen as usual, there is no way to get the FullScreen Video Window on the monitor VDJ main display stays anymore.
Clicking to "windowed" used to open video window its old location or the Main display that might be not the one VDJ main window is located.
It now systematically opens in a secondary monitor, the same the fullscreen opens. Disconnect one monitor and video window opens in another "secondary" monitor until only one display exists

When VDJ "Main window" moves from one display to another, the VideoOutput menu look the same but clicking the same Fullscreen item may send video window to another monitor( because missing one changed, order may differ)
There is still no way to directly get the Video Window to FullScreen on the monitor VDJ "main window" is located other than manually move video window and double clicking it or rightclick it and select the driver already selected

When "black zone" (partial videomatrix, display with different resolution) exists extra windows and video windows sometimes open out of desktop depending on previously saved locations

SOLUTION I HATE BUT I'M USING:
in this case reseting the empty "skinWindows" option can be used as a workaround solution
if some other skins were tested, "videoWindowsPosition" may need to reset either
or finally - at worth - remove settings.xml if no crucial settings are in it
after what all windows positions and size have to be done again... for all skins if any

@DJNeilSFLA
Sometimes windows is hard to follow, specially with multiple screens ^^

with your screenshot, IMHO your VDJ video window stays somewhere the external display was located in a previous start
i.e.: on screen 2 in [1][2] configwith screen 1 @ 0x0 and windows detect now [2][1] keeping [1] at 0x0. Hallas for me this is a common issue not only with VDJ
Make sure your displays are well allign in windows display parameters [1][2] and try the opposite if possible or changing "main display" if possible too

otherwhise, if it's the VDJ video window the arrows are pointing to then the mouse should allow to resize enough to be able to move the window ...if line is far enough from border
if too small main window action will take precedence making it disapear. try to set setting videoWindowsAlwaysOnTop to "Yes"
try to window main VDJ window in a way for it not to stay under the video window making it independent
A minimum width is needed to be able to move the window in a way to make some space for the resize zone, a minimum size is needed for the mouse detect the move zone
but sometimes with "deadzone" or "overlapping" some drivers are drawing some artefacts like that or do not allow mouse to exit the desktop

Temporary "clone" displays instead of "extend" the time to get the window on the main display, save VDJ settings and reverse to "extended" may help

"SOLUTION I HATE BUT I'M USING" above may (must?) work too

Posted Thu 20 Feb 20 @ 8:22 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)