Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Hey manufacturers, Time for a controller refresh! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I'm buzzed, let's talk!

I'm not a $$$ Pioneer fan (why the hell are clumsy ass CDJ jog and no FX controls selling features, I'll never know) and that means no interesting controllers have been announced in a few years.

Prime 4? Not supported.

Reloop Touch? cheapo plastic junk with extremely limited I/O. Could have been amazing.

Mcx8000 looks cool but scared of all the freezing I read about.

...just feel like we're in a drought right now, and I'm still looking for an ideal 4 channel with nice jogs... Rant finished.

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 2:46 am
xylumePRO InfinityMember since 2015
You didn't mention anything about the Roland 4 (DJ-808).

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 3:10 am
Love the features on the 808, but in first hand use with VDJ they are way too buggy for a paying gig, and I've seen lots of forum posts about fader and tact switch failures.

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 5:03 am
I agree, it's pretty bad right now. I have the MCX8000 but it's already been back to Denon due to screen freeze and a few other issues. Nice as it is I don't have long term confidence in it.

Prime 4 is just the same tech in a slightly different box and some of them are failing too.

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 12:35 pm
2 turntables and a mixer paired with a SP1 and you won’t have to worry about a thing 😝

But yeah I do agree, it seemed once everyone started layering things (pad buttons) it’s all went to shit.

Companies are lazy and put out half ass stuff anymore, yet us as consumers continue to throw our money at them.

So I guess once we quit buying the crap they’ll maybe start to listen 🤷🏾‍♂️

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 2:36 pm
True that, I have been considering a modular TT/mixer setup lately.

That's another thing though... I kinda miss the old kooky Gemini Vestax Numark mixer days I guess. At least there are a lot of quality mixer choices these days. They just cost a ton.

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 4:33 pm
In all honesty I haven’t bought anything brand new in at least 3/4 years maybe!!

I mostly make trades with gear but there’s no way I’d buy something brand new unless it really really caught my attention and as of right now there’s not too much out on the market grabbing me.

Posted Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 7:20 pm
HI,

i wish a new version of ADJ DP2, a tactile jogs, new audio card, led colors, the simplicity of this controller i great, 19 inch rack, easy to carry , i also like the denon mc6000 MK2, excelent for mobile djs

thx,
best wishes
GK

Posted Thu 10 Oct 19 @ 5:11 pm
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
I´m very satisfyed with my older pio ddj-sx2, why you think pio is that bad?

Posted Thu 10 Oct 19 @ 7:30 pm
@ freppa: Honestly, I probably gotta check my bias. I just remember being shocked when the first DJM was released @ $1500, at a time when an expensive mixer was $799 (Vestax). Pioneer brought some good innovations over the years, and I imagine a standard setup in clubs takes care of a lot of transition logistics. It's just that now, everything is so samey, so scared to not be similar enough to Pioneer.

The SX3 is almost there for me, I just wish for a slightly larger jog, but I guess that is the SZ2.

Posted Fri 11 Oct 19 @ 2:13 am
As I remember, Vestax VCI400 was lightyears ahead. I miss this company...

Posted Fri 11 Oct 19 @ 3:57 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Had a lot of the elements down [vci400] and built to last, I'd buy one now if I could find 1

Posted Fri 11 Oct 19 @ 4:07 am
I'm trying to find the name of the backlit touch sensitive sliders as a component ,16 of them in a diy device would be all the fx sliders I'd need

Posted Fri 11 Oct 19 @ 4:10 am
A Livid Instruments Base/Base ii gets you 8 with 32 pads.

A Quneo could be programed up to work because the pads are X/Y controllable

Posted Fri 11 Oct 19 @ 2:51 pm
The base2 is kind of what I'm thinking of making, anybody know what the touch sliders are called as a component? making something will probably cost as much as buying a prefab but I like building stuff and I like "owning" my gear right down to the firmware.

Posted Fri 11 Oct 19 @ 6:25 pm
Ribbon sensor?

Posted Fri 11 Oct 19 @ 7:13 pm
groovindj wrote :
Ribbon sensor?

Maybe, I'll go looking but I don't think ribbon includes back light

Posted Fri 11 Oct 19 @ 7:34 pm
I just had a look at the Livid thing. I wouldn't call that backlit.

There's just a row of LEDs alongside the touch strip. Presumably they just light up based on the resistance of the strip.

Posted Fri 11 Oct 19 @ 7:46 pm
you might be right, ribbon to me is a push to make resistor, and these can give false hit in high vibration environments [aka work], I'm looking for capacitative touch as found on the pioneer ddj sp2, I can find cap touch strips, I can link that to an led strip; And I'm torn, separate components will cost less and be easier for comp failure, but combo components gives a smaller footprint.
applying all tech available, a tablet as a remote would give me everything I want for performance [I can skin however and map however], but the generalisation [of the hw] loses the robustness, and it separates me from really "owning" the gear right down to the metal.

Posted Fri 11 Oct 19 @ 8:28 pm
You might be able to map a Roli Seaboard the way your wanting to. It would take some detective work on your part. Those controllers do send midi positioning messages as your finger travels up the "key"

Posted Fri 11 Oct 19 @ 9:58 pm
83%