Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VOLUME SETTINGS FOR RECORDING

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

How do you set the upfadders, gains and master volume to record with virtual dj.
I tried the upfadders at full volume, the gain at 11 o'clock and the master at 1 but on playback, the volumes were all in red.
I use numark ns6ii, windows 7 and virtualdj.
Please advise.

Posted Fri 09 Aug 19 @ 2:59 am
xylumePRO InfinityMember since 2015
Go to Settings, Options and type in zerodb to change the Master Volume Output. I like going for -12dB for recording at home and I use a headphone amp to crank the volume up for my headphones. Other people use -1, -3, or -6dB.

It's also useful when playing in a venue where they have a limiter/gate/compressor and you don't want to run into their limiter.

Posted Fri 09 Aug 19 @ 6:11 am
Any ideas about volumes and gains settings on the controller for recording?
When I'm done with the recording, do I change the master volume back to default, if so how is it done?

Posted Fri 09 Aug 19 @ 7:17 am
I keep the channel faders all of the way to the top and the gains at 12 o'clock dead center. I let the software do the autoGain set to auto so it makes each song's overall volume to 0dB or you can use no, remember, or auto+remember to remember any previous manual modifications to the gain.

I personally trust the auto gain in VDJ8.3 (b5186) on my main VDJ. On my Hercules DJ Controller, I turn my master button on, turn my headphones mix from 0 to 100% (lower it when needed), and then move the headphones volume back and forth to activate the full output (I think it starts at a lower volume for safety).

Yes, I manually put my zeroDB back to the default after I'm done recording. OR

You can also run both the 32bit and 64bit VDJ 2018 on the same PC and have one a previous build to make it so the master knob controls the recording volume, that way you can use one VDJ8.3 for only recording and the other one for normal use so you don't have to keep changing settings. Both versions use the same database and it won't interfere with your install as they run next to each other to access the same database. Any changes you make on either version updates the same database just fine.

You just can't run both versions at the exact same time. I use the 64bit version (build v8.3-64 b4918) for recording videos or for multi-track recording so I can set my recording volume at less than -12dB.

To find older builds that allow you to set the master volume from the master volume knob - http://www.virtualdj.com/download/build.html

b4918 works well for me and I say no when it asks me to update it to keep it that way because it's only going to be used for recording.

Posted Fri 09 Aug 19 @ 8:59 am
The Guitar Center gave me these tips a while back and more and I've found them useful. I'm sure you have your own method, but I can share this bit of information also.

I place each part of the mix into the DAW on its own track and make it one continuous production mix (if it's not a live mix). I usually add a HF Density (High Focus EQ only), volume adjustment, sometimes a mild Reverb with a short duration at around 12% dry/wet mix, mild compressor used as a master bus glue only, master limiter (but not always, you can remove it later and just use it to get you closer to a loud clean volume) all on the master bus. There are also loud maximizers out there that do something like this for you.

Then I find the loudest part of the mix and tune the volume adjustment on the entire master bus output so that the loudest part of the mix's under zero dB (-0.1dB or less), then I make volume envelopes and add points to increase or decrease the volume for each part of the mix, in full sections so that I won't change how the artists wanted the song to sound like and get it all to a similar volume of under 0dB.

Some songs are supposed to be quiet and then it gets loud on purpose, but it's really up to you how much you want to change and I find less is more. I use my ears instead of relying upon the meters as some instruments make the meters go high or low and that could throw you off. I sometimes lower the volume envelope during some blends or re-record sections with better a High Pass Filtering setting or crossfader percentage to clean things up.

Changing your DAW to mono helps with hearing volume better, but you have to remember to change it back before you render/export your final mix.

Posted Fri 09 Aug 19 @ 9:24 am
janku.rrt@gmail.com wrote :
How do you set the upfadders, gains and master volume to record with virtual dj.
I tried the upfadders at full volume, the gain at 11 o'clock and the master at 1 but on playback, the volumes were all in red.
I use numark ns6ii, windows 7 and virtualdj.
Please advise.

Hi, I know it's already a while ago, but did you find a solution for this? I have DDJ-1000 and when recording with channel's gain trimmed to stay in green area, the actual recording is hitting the 0dB red area. So controller says you're safe, but actually you're recording in the red area.

Here's my thread about it, with several tests.
https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/240089/VirtualDJ_Technical_Support/Recording_output_too_loud_distorted.html

Posted Fri 05 Mar 21 @ 12:21 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)