Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Pioneer DDJ 800 - ControllerTakeOverMode doesn't work as expected - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi,
I've configured DDJ 800 to be able to switch between the 4 decks without muting any and that all works nicely. The Pitch control works as expected as well with the pickup mode. The knobs and especially the volume sliders do not, however - the volume gets set to the fader's position upon switching the deck with no pickup mode. The software knobs get their position changed to where the physical ones are set to immediately upon touching them.

These used to work nicely with my Mixtrack Platinum. Any clues?

Posted Wed 07 Aug 19 @ 8:58 pm

Posted Thu 08 Aug 19 @ 7:35 am
Could it be this issue (from another post on this forum):

Question:
"If I load a song on deck 1 and deck 3, I can not hear both of them playing at the same time. Same goes for decks 2 and 4. I can only hear the song that the selector is set to.
In order for me to mix on 4 decks, I need all 4 songs to come out of the master outputs at the same time. Right now, only 2 songs at a time."

Answer:
"That's a limitation of the device.
You can use a trick to somehow bypass this limitation though:
Load the DDJ-800 settings pad page, navigate to the miscellaneous sub-page and press the forth pad to switch the mixer mode from dual to 4 decks
http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/ddj800/settings.html#miscellaneous
Keep in mind that each time you switch from deck 1 to let's say deck 3, deck 3 will update with current mixer fader position(s). However, deck 1 will stay intact until you switch back to it. Same goes for switching from deck 3 to deck 1."

Posted Thu 08 Aug 19 @ 10:28 am
Hey Klaus, thanks for the reply!

The question that this other guy posted refers to the fact that Virtual DJ is configured to mute for example Deck 1 when you switch to Deck 3. This can be changed with a bit of fiddling with the controller settings, you just need to remove the "&mute Deck X" option.

The fader positions - that's exactly the problem I'm describing and I've already configured Virtual DJ to use 4 decks mode; in a nutshell that means that the "ControllerTakeOverMode" option doesn't work. My question is - is there a way to resolve this?

I found the thread you were referring to. I don't believe it's a hardware setting, my guess is that there's an action (Fader Position) that isn't taken into account with the mappings of the controller, so the VDJ team should be easily able to correct this.

Thanks!

Posted Thu 08 Aug 19 @ 11:46 am
SlySelecta wrote :
Hey Klaus, thanks for the reply!

The question that this other guy posted refers to the fact that Virtual DJ is configured to mute for example Deck 1 when you switch to Deck 3. This can be changed with a bit of fiddling with the controller settings, you just need to remove the "&mute Deck X" option.

The fader positions - that's exactly the problem I'm describing and I've already configured Virtual DJ to use 4 decks mode; in a nutshell that means that the "ControllerTakeOverMode" option doesn't work. My question is - is there a way to resolve this?

I found the thread you were referring to. I don't believe it's a hardware setting, my guess is that there's an action (Fader Position) that isn't taken into account with the mappings of the controller, so the VDJ team should be easily able to correct this.

Thanks!

Yeah as you can see the response I got from the Atomix rep, he says it's a physical limitation built into the machine by Pioneer. I really scratched my head hard when I read that because it doesn't make any sense to me. Why would Pioneer suddenly create such a self-defeating physical limitation in this new board that does not exist in their other boards? It really seems like a programming or mapping issue to me. Unfortunately, that's one area I wasn't able to re-map or fix. Even my little DDJ-SR2 didn't have that stupid limitation. If only I knew more about the inner workings of these machines, maybe I could fix this issue as well... sigh. Oh well....

Posted Fri 09 Aug 19 @ 9:31 am
Sounds like nonsense to me, I am pretty sure that the controller cannot enforce what the software would do - in this case, ignore the Slider Position and apply the Pickup behavior, as it normally should. I've sent a ticket, in the meantime I'll poke around the mappings and check if there's anything I can do - my plan is to check the mappings for my other 2 channel controller, where deck switching works seamlessly and see if anything can be reused from there.

Posted Fri 09 Aug 19 @ 11:25 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It can actually, if the deck switch button sends the current fader positions as soon as it's pressed.
You could check this by opening the controller config, pressing the deck select button and seeing what the controller sent

Posted Fri 09 Aug 19 @ 11:53 am
Adion wrote :
It can actually, if the deck switch button sends the current fader positions as soon as it's pressed.
You could check this by opening the controller config, pressing the deck select button and seeing what the controller sent

Interesting. When you say "controller config" are you talking about the config inside of VDJ? I did this once awhile back when I fixed the first issue. I think I'll re-visit this again to see exactly what info is being sent when the deck select button is pressed again. Maybe we can alter or stop it?

Posted Fri 09 Aug 19 @ 8:12 pm
DJay 2Legit wrote :
Adion wrote :

Interesting. When you say "controller config" are you talking about the config inside of VDJ? I did this once awhile back when I fixed the first issue. I think I'll re-visit this again to see exactly what info is being sent when the deck select button is pressed again. Maybe we can alter or stop it?

Only a firmware update from pioneer can change what it sends .... just thought i would throw that out there.

Posted Fri 09 Aug 19 @ 8:35 pm
wickedmix wrote :
Only a firmware update from pioneer can change what it sends .... just thought i would throw that out there.

Thanks for that info.

Posted Fri 09 Aug 19 @ 8:52 pm
wickedmix wrote :
DJay 2Legit wrote :
Adion wrote :

Yep, agreed about what the controller sends, my thoughts were that it's up to Virtual DJ to define the event handlers, i.e. what it would actually do upon receiving the "action". And that is within VDJ's devs to set up.

Posted Tue 13 Aug 19 @ 11:02 am
SlySelecta wrote :

Yep, agreed about what the controller sends. my thoughts were that it's up to Virtual DJ to define the event handlers, i.e. what it would actually do upon receiving the "action". And that is within VDJ's devs to set up.

I don't know about the DDJ-800 - but unfortunately a lot of controllers send no info in these kind of situations
Like on startup or when (primarily)hardware related controls are used

Posted Tue 13 Aug 19 @ 11:11 am
SlySelecta wrote :

Yep, agreed about what the controller sends, my thoughts were that it's up to Virtual DJ to define the event handlers, i.e. what it would actually do upon receiving the "action". And that is within VDJ's devs to set up.

It's not that simple.
The controller doesn't send a "special" message that you can trap and work with as you like.
The controller sends the volume sliders position with a message that's exactly the same as if you physically moved the slider yourself.
Therefore the software can't tell if this movement was made intentionally by you or not.

I'm currently working on a hack code to allow ghost sliders to appear. Once I have a final result I will share it with you.
However this is going to be a "hack" and of course it's not going to get implemented in the official mapper as this is not the way Pioneer wanted their controller to operate.
On official mappers we always try to achieve the same behavior with the software that comes with the unit / the way the manufacturer meant the unit to be used.
There's nothing wrong with the official mapper.
Pioneer just didn't really wanted this unit to be used as a 4 decks mixing controller (as other controllers of the same company do)
Pioneer wanted to give you access to 4 decks, but not 4 decks mixing.
I guess Pioneer wants you to buy DDJ-1000 if you want 4 decks mixing, but I don't really know.

Posted Tue 13 Aug 19 @ 11:34 am
I see, thanks for the clarification! My thoughts were coming from the behavior of my other controller, where things were quite intuitive and worked exactly as explained in VDJ's settings tooltips, so I was assuming the standard behavior applies to all controllers.

Thanks for your efforts with this! If there is anything I could communicate with Pioneer via their support channels, please let me know!
Cheers!

Posted Tue 13 Aug 19 @ 12:33 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
I guess Pioneer wants you to buy DDJ-1000 if you want 4 decks mixing, but I don't really know.

Yeah it's hard to know what they were thinking when they implemented that. Anyway, if anyone is interested, I am performing 4 deck mixing on my DDJ-800 with zero issues. As hard as it is for even myself to believe, that little limitation they implemented has actually made me an even better 4 deck mixer.

The secret is to remember to keep the faders up before switching from decks 1 to 3 and from decks 2 to 4, etc. At first, it was kind of annoying getting used to doing that. Now after putting in tons of hours doing it, it's in my muscle memory and natural for me to do this. I am really REALLY enjoying 4 deck mixing on my DDJ-800, so if Pioneer didn't want us to be able to do this lol... well they missed the ball because I'm doing it and doing it WELL!

I have zero complaints about my 800 now. This thing is a beast and it's the best controller I've ever used hands down. It's so enjoyable to DJ and mix on. Thanks Pioneer and Atomix.

Posted Thu 15 Aug 19 @ 6:22 am
Did anyone have issues with the headphones? I plugged mine in and the music sounded like it had been watered down! I went into my headphones settings and unless I have split monitor selected it works? Hope that makes sense lol

Posted Thu 15 Aug 19 @ 8:29 am
@millydog123 I'm good, no issues there.

Posted Thu 15 Aug 19 @ 2:35 pm
dceeceePRO InfinityMember since 2018
Has anyone fixed it i read through the comments and still no solution to make the 4 decks work
on rekord box you can use all 4 decks without having it mute u just have to enable the 4 deck mode and it works in vdj when ever you switch it to 1 3 or 2 4 and vice versus it mutes the opp deck i even pushed the 4 deck mode on the pad and still not working when i read through the comment it said it was pioneer that made it that way but unless they updated since this post was written it works now like i said in rekord box you have to enable 4 decks mixing 1st because if you dont then it just like how it on here in vdj but once u enable 4 deck the music dont get cut off it still plays and u can do the 4 deck mixing maybe im doing something wrong can somebody help me

Posted Thu 14 Nov 19 @ 8:47 am
We will revise 4 decks mode shortly. Perhaps we can prevent deck muting. However we can't prevent volume change when you switch from one deck to another (firmware limitation)

Posted Thu 14 Nov 19 @ 9:10 am
dceeceePRO InfinityMember since 2018
thanks for the quick responsce just wanted to say im doing trial and error with the mapping im learning how to get the hang of it now and i think i figured out how to make it work i re read the comments and just changed the mute to off i did it for all them and now it works just like rekordbox but it would be nice to have that as an auto update whenever yall get around to it thanks in advance

Posted Thu 14 Nov 19 @ 9:40 am
71%