Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: [NEW JAN 2019] Denon Prime 4 standalone controller, leaked. - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Yeah, but her sister is skint unfortunately :)

Posted Thu 17 Jan 19 @ 6:06 pm
Hmmm......although I liked it initially, I'm starting to change my mind.

Despite having a whopping great screen, it only seems possible to show six tracks at once when browsing. Frankly, that sucks.

The old Denon HS5500 screen was less than four inches, and that showed five tracks, so only being able to see six on a much larger screen is ridiculous!

Posted Thu 17 Jan 19 @ 8:34 pm
A lot of people are asking for horizontal waveforms too. Shouldn't be too difficult to change but this is Denon with the slowest software development on the planet.

Posted Thu 17 Jan 19 @ 8:41 pm
A browser like VDJ, with sizeable text and each track on a single line would be far better. They've made it more like VDJ's grid view.

OK it's a touch screen, but you can search from a USB keyboard and the controller has load buttons. There's no need to have such giant icons, text etc.

Posted Thu 17 Jan 19 @ 8:46 pm
As good as these things are nothing comes close to the flexibility of VDJ.

The MCX8000 and VDJ are the perfect setup for me, especially now I play pretty much all video.

Posted Thu 17 Jan 19 @ 8:59 pm
Considering the screen on this beast is the same size as my netbook (Samsung NC10) I just ran VDJ and did a track count.

With a reasonably sized font I can display 30 tracks quite comfortably in VDJ. Six doesn't quite cut it.

Besides that, I do like the rest of the Prime 4 - self contained, four channels, onboard effects, internal drive.

Posted Thu 17 Jan 19 @ 9:08 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
@groovin you need to see more than 4 decks? my general play is 4 decks with 4 more invisible decks to clone loops> keep the loop but kill the source.
(once cue'd I don't need to see more than left/right deck and designate deck 4 to right deck when needed.

A bigger half-arsed build fault is rotatory potometers, LED ringed encoders are what you want, if you want cutting edge a haptic feedback when you hit 0 or 100% but the option to go round (the ninja way) from 0% to 100% avoiding 1,2,3,98,99% or switch up fx

I really do wonder how they hire so inside the box concept designers., I just find it strange to get that you need encoders for some dials but not for fx.
Fortunately I'm pretty sure they're reading this.

Posted Thu 17 Jan 19 @ 9:11 pm
No, most of the time I just use two decks. The exception is when (e.g.) I have the first dance or Happy Birthday on standby.

Posted Thu 17 Jan 19 @ 9:33 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
A lot of people are asking for horizontal waveforms too. Shouldn't be too difficult to change but this is Denon with the slowest software development on the planet.

If you scroll down on the Prime4.denondj website here to 'Engine Prime Music management' there's a pic of horizontal waveforms. Dunno if it's 'coming soon' or what.

Posted Fri 18 Jan 19 @ 5:57 am
That's the prime PC software with the horizontal waveforms.

Posted Fri 18 Jan 19 @ 7:38 am
Would be cool if it could be skinned, but I doubt that'll happen. A choice of layouts would be next best, but they'd probably say there isn't enough space in the firmware/OS to allow changes.

Did anyone else notice how it can import library data from iTunes, Serato, Traktor, Rekordbox........but not VDJ?

Posted Fri 18 Jan 19 @ 6:02 pm
Yes, noticed that.

Ironic thing is that many more people would have dumped the MCX8000 if it didn't work so well with VDJ ....... me included.

Atomix saved Denon's skin but they seem oblivious to the contribution VDJ support makes to their hardware. Even when people mention this on their forum they say VDJ is unauthorised and to use Serato.

Long gone are the alliance days when the MC6000 came with VDJ and Traktor, but then that was 2010.

Personally it's not for me as I'm a video DJ and VDJ offers so much more, but they'll need to get Engine Prime out of beta if this is going to be a success.

Posted Fri 18 Jan 19 @ 6:11 pm
groovindj wrote :

Did anyone else notice how it can import library data from iTunes, Serato, Traktor, Rekordbox........but not VDJ?

Yeah those all hold the info in the tags tho don’t they??

Its VDJ who’s the odd man here. It’s probably a lot of work to read a database file like what VDJ uses, where as the other with the exception of Rekordbox I think store everything in the tags?

And we all know VDJ will not stop storing the info the way it does because we’ve all asked for this to change and it’s always no. We all know That the database for VDJ is like the holy Grail once that’s lost you basically have to start over from scratch.

Maybe it’s VDJ that’s being difficult here....

Posted Fri 18 Jan 19 @ 8:49 pm
Personally I prefer the VirtualDJ database. Everything is in one place and I have never ever had it corrupt .... and that's across many versions since 2008

Maybe there could be a way of writing cues and loops to the tags as well as keeping them in the DB?

Posted Fri 18 Jan 19 @ 9:08 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :

Yeah those all hold the info in the tags tho don’t they??

No - they all have databases.

Some may also write to the tags by default (I know Traktor does) but using a database is the quickest way to get the results when searching, rather than having to read tags from thousands of files.

That's why Denon say the data is imported from [software name] otherwise they'd just read it from the files in your library & it wouldn't matter which s/w you had.

Posted Fri 18 Jan 19 @ 10:54 pm
Ok since you want to be so literal, yes all software has a database but software like tractor and Serato all write this information (cues, loops, color, etc) back to the tags. which is where I think the other programs pull the information from upon the initial read such as virtual DJ does when it first reads a Serato track..

And Keith I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to rescan my entire library or pull up an old database file. I’m not sure if it’s because I switch between a Mac and PC but there’s never any rhyme or reason to it. I’ve just learned to live with it when it does happen.

Anyways moving on, yes it does frustrate me that VDJ never seems to be included but since I use SDJ ( basically I set my heart cues and loops within Serato first ) I don’t really worry about it to much.

Posted Fri 18 Jan 19 @ 11:24 pm
sjofaasPRO InfinityMember since 2014
kradcliffe wrote :
https://djworx.com/namm-2019-denon-dj-is-such-a-pic-tease/

It was inevitable really. Hope they get the Prime software developed for standalone mode as it's still beta at best.

I would like to see virtual dj working on a controller now u've got a controller with a big screen and u still need a laptop to use virtual dj.
Cant they make a controller with virtual dj in it.

Posted Sat 19 Jan 19 @ 9:23 pm
just watched all the utube videos on this & @ 1st i was like hell yeah finally a bigger screen 10'' take my $ now BUT then i read & saw usb port for software like serato DJ !@^**^%#$@#%^@ why are these manufactures so scared to just promote VDJ from the jump cant stand CRAPRATO & will never use it ever again period.. i dont care how new tech is, if it wont work with VDJ i wont buy it

Posted Sun 20 Jan 19 @ 1:06 am
djtyme209 wrote :
if it wont work with VDJ i wont buy it

But it's a standalone DJ system. It's not marketed as a controller - to the point that use with Serato is "coming soon" rather than available on release.

It's for people who don't want to DJ from a computer. Surely you'd only buy this if you wanted to use it standalone. Why buy a standalone if you want a controller?

Posted Sun 20 Jan 19 @ 8:02 am
Hola buenas tardes a todos, ya se sabe si es compatible con Virtual dj o no?
Gracias

Posted Wed 15 May 19 @ 4:23 pm
71%