Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Correctly Tagging Karaoke Files on Hard Drive for VDJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I know I cannot be the first one to ask this, but I cannot find the answer. I have been searching for a couple of days and have finally given up finding the answer on my own. This is a two-part question. Please feel free to direct me to the proper video tutorial or correctly answered post.

1) Tagging music on my hard drive: I painstakingly spent days (using Bulk Rename Utility) tagging 450K karaoke files. They are all the exact same. Right or wrong - they are all tagged in the same manner (artist - title - album #). However, in VDJ they are all over the place. I knew I may have missed a few. But no, I have checked and double checked. The ones in my sample pic are identically entered on the hard drive. The highlighted selections are how it should look.

Whether I tagged them correctly or not - they should all be the same in VDJ. They are all tagged the same - right or wrong. What am I missing?

I’ve tried the “Reload Tag” option. Nothing changed.

2) Write Tag: How does this work? When checked, does this fix the filename on my hard drive? When I use Write Tag, I see no difference on my hard drive tag. I think I am misunderstanding what this function does.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 18 @ 7:21 pm
Selecting a batch of files then reloading tag should update the VDJ database with any changes in the MP3 tags. It looks like your issue is that BRU only updates the file names, so you would also need a tag editor to write from the file name to the tag (something like mp3tag). You haven't actually tagged them as such, all you have done is rename the actual files.

The file name is not the ID3 tag.

There are also different tag types as well, it's a bit confusing, but it's best to write to ID3v2

Posted Wed 05 Dec 18 @ 7:39 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Best is to check what the difference is between the 2 entries using the tag editor
As said perhaps one of them has info stored in the tag, and the other doesn't?

Posted Wed 05 Dec 18 @ 7:49 pm
My 2 cent tip if you have just renamed the files (not updated the ID tags in the file itself) you can bulk tag them in VDJ by:

- selecting the files you want to update in the VDJ file-list pane
- right-click on that selection and choose "Tag editor". There will be "(multiple values)" in the fields in the new dialog - just leave them as-is.
- Click the tiny button in the upper pane and select "Get Artist/Title from filename" (see image below).
- Now hit "Write tag" at the bottom of the dialog to insert ID3v2 tag for mp3 files, or just OK to update just the VDJ database.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 18 @ 8:07 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Selecting a batch of files then reloading tag should update the VDJ database with any changes in the MP3 tags. It looks like your issue is that BRU only updates the file names, so you would also need a tag editor to write from the file name to the tag (something like mp3tag). You haven't actually tagged them as such, all you have done is rename the actual files.

The file name is not the ID3 tag.

There are also different tag types as well, it's a bit confusing, but it's best to write to ID3v2

I agree. I am only changing file names. I have yet to find a tag editor that will recognize karaoke (cdg) files.

So wish list - VDJ offers an option to default to pulling file names.

Thanks! I appreciate the quick response.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 18 @ 9:05 pm
Adion wrote :
Best is to check what the difference is between the 2 entries using the tag editor
As said perhaps one of them has info stored in the tag, and the other doesn't?

Did that - absolutely no difference. They look the same inside the tag editor. That's why I'm so confused.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 18 @ 9:06 pm
PeteVanPolaris wrote :
My 2 cent tip if you have just renamed the files (not updated the ID tags in the file itself) you can bulk tag them in VDJ by:

- selecting the files you want to update in the VDJ file-list pane
- right-click on that selection and choose "Tag editor". There will be "(multiple values)" in the fields in the new dialog - just leave them as-is.
- Click the tiny button in the upper pane and select "Get Artist/Title from filename" (see image below).
- Now hit "Write tag" at the bottom of the dialog to insert ID3v2 tag for mp3 files, or just OK to update just the VDJ database.

I agree. I am only changing file names. I have yet to find a tag editor that will recognize karaoke (cdg) files.

Write tag is not available at the bottom. I'm guessing because I chose to default to always do this. No difference was ever made when I do this anyway.

So wish list - VDJ offers an option to default to pulling from the file names.

Thanks! I appreciate the quick response.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 18 @ 9:08 pm
tryingcake wrote :
Adion wrote :
Did that - absolutely no difference. They look the same inside the tag editor. That's why I'm so confused.

Could you show a screenshot of both files in tag editor?

[quote]So wish list - VDJ offers an option to default to pulling from the file names.

The Get Artist/Title from filename option shown in the screenshot above doesn't work either for you?

Posted Wed 05 Dec 18 @ 9:18 pm
Adion wrote :
tryingcake wrote :
[quote=Adion]Did that - absolutely no difference. They look the same inside the tag editor. That's why I'm so confused.

[quote]So wish list - VDJ offers an option to default to pulling from the file names.

The Get Artist/Title from filename option shown in the screenshot above doesn't work either for you?

Also, you could also just show the filename in the browser instead of title/artist/album

Posted Wed 05 Dec 18 @ 9:18 pm
"I agree. I am only changing file names. I have yet to find a tag editor that will recognize karaoke (cdg) files. "

Tag & Rename should do it and KJ File Manager will do it as well.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 18 @ 11:06 pm
Adion wrote :
Adion wrote :
tryingcake wrote :
Adion wrote :

Yes, it works. One at a time. We are talking about thousands of files.

[quote]Also, you could also just show the filename in the browser instead of title/artist/album

I wouldn't mind this for myself. But when showing who is singing next, it shows that also. I'd like to look more professional than that.

Posted Thu 06 Dec 18 @ 5:23 am
tryingcake wrote :

I have yet to find a tag editor that will recognize karaoke (cdg) files.

Write tag is not available at the bottom. I'm guessing because I chose to default to always do this. No difference was ever made when I do this anyway.

Ah, CDG, or CD+G files doesn't support tag information themselves, and is probably why the Write tag button is hidden. CDGs used to live on read-only CD Audio ROMs (which the (G)raphics hidden away in a separate section). The data can still be stored in VDJ's own database.

tryingcake wrote :

It already does as shown :) Or maybe I misunderstand?

Posted Thu 06 Dec 18 @ 7:34 am
tryingcake wrote :
Adion wrote :

Quote :

Yes, it works. One at a time. We are talking about thousands of files.

It should work with multiple files selected as well

Posted Thu 06 Dec 18 @ 7:40 am
If the write tag button is hidden it's probably because setTagsAuto is set, which will make writing tags automatic on pressing ok.
For zipped cdg+mp3 vdj will not be able to write the tag though, but anyway your changes are still saved in the vdj database

Posted Thu 06 Dec 18 @ 7:44 am
RCBAudio wrote :
"I agree. I am only changing file names. I have yet to find a tag editor that will recognize karaoke (cdg) files. "

I tried both last night. Neither one will read and retag zip files. Thank you for your efforts.

Posted Thu 06 Dec 18 @ 2:28 pm
tryingcake wrote :
RCBAudio wrote :

I tried both last night. Neither one will read and retag zip files. Thank you for your efforts.

Sorry about the Tag & Rename, you are right it will not; but I know KJ File Manager will read .zip karaoke files. I use it at least once a week.

Posted Fri 07 Dec 18 @ 11:58 am
RCBAudio wrote :
tryingcake wrote :
RCBAudio wrote :

Sorry about the Tag & Rename, you are right it will not; but I know KJ File Manager will read .zip karaoke files. I use it at least once a week.

OK - I figured it out and YOU are a lifesaver! KJ File Manager does not like -00 as the track number. so, back to Bulk Renamer Utility. I changed all the "00" track numbers to 99 and it worked like a charm! I occasionally use Siglos. To be displayed on the audience screen correctly requires track numbers. So I want my files tagged for both systems from the get-go.

I correctly retagged just under 12,000 of my 450,000 files yesterday. It's going to take a few days, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel now. Thank you! Thank you!

All of my searching, for over a year now, never produced KJ File Manager in the search results. This absolutely will save my sanity. I cannot thank you enough!

Posted Fri 07 Dec 18 @ 8:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)