Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Syncing between two laptops

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am a Serato user that is giving VDJ a new look. One of the things that I do as part of my workflow is having a pair of laptops that are in sync with each other. In the Serato world that is replicating the _Serato_ folder which maintains the database, history, and other critical files, and of course the music files.

Does VDJ keep all it's settings within a single folder structure that I can then replicate back and forth between sets to keep both my primary gig laptop (an early-2013 13" MBP) and my everyday laptop (an early-2105 13" MPB)? I believe I read somewhere that I need to exclude the license file in the sync.

Posted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 2:06 pm
Yes.
Basically, all you need to "sync" is the "Documents\VirtualDJ" folder
All settings, database, add-ons e.t.c. are stored inside that folder (assuming that you don't use media on external drives)

One thing you may want to pay attention though is the place you have your music stored.
I guess you know that already, but special folders like "Music" or "Desktop" may have different names on different systems.

For Windows for instance, "Desktop" folder is actually: C:\Users\YourUsername\Desktop
Therefore if the 2 systems have different usernames, the database will sync, but the songs in it won't match the second system.
In such case there are 2 solutions:
1) Move your music on a "neutral" folder like C:\Music
2) Create another user account (with Administrator privileges) on your second computer that has the same username as the first computer, and then copy your music on the same "special" folders

Same rules apply for MAC's as well...

Edit - PS:
I see that you are using two MAC's
In this case the folder is Documents/VirtualDJ
Also on MAC VirtualDJ stores the paths of the music files in it's database, starting form the root of the system.
Therefore, system drive name and your username must both be identical on both MAC's for the database to work properly

Posted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 2:14 pm
Thanks. That keeps things simple. Is the license file the only file that should not be synced?

And yes, my paths are both machines are identical, but a good pro tip for those that might overlook a detail like that.

Posted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 2:16 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Yes, it's best not to sync license.dat, otherwise you may be asked to log in again on the other computer.

Posted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 2:57 pm
The license file is unique to each machine, so you should keep them separate. Back it up by all means, but you can't use the license from one machine on another.

Posted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 6:11 pm
Just set your syncing software to ignore the license.dat file. It's that simple.

Even if you sync the incorrect license VDJ will still know which machines have been logged in so shouldn't cause a problem.

Posted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 6:29 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)