Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Could we have a smooth "key_reset"?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi!

Since the DDJ-1000 from Pioneer has got a "Key Reset" button:
Is it possible to get a smooth "key_reset"-action?

Just like the "pitch_reset"-action, but not for the speed of the song, but for it's key.

Would be great!
- Thanks!

Posted Wed 12 Sep 18 @ 11:20 pm
Do you mean in steps smaller than semi-keys?
Like if you use pitch without key-lock?

Because I don't think the key function supports steps smaller than semi-tones, so that would probably need to be supported first

Posted Thu 13 Sep 18 @ 8:46 am
No I meant the "fine"-version....
Just like I would use the pitch-fader without the master-tempo (But in this case without changing the speed, only the key).

My idea was to reset the key slowly about a longer period to make it as seamless as possible.

Posted Thu 13 Sep 18 @ 9:22 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
I think the time needed would be too long though. Only one semitone is already same as 7% pitch change without master tempo.

Should be possible to give it a try with a repeat_start script though

Posted Thu 13 Sep 18 @ 10:08 am
I tried this 3 versions...
They work quite good, but the fat marked parts are making some "problems"...

This one is not fine enough... So it jumps from key -0.5 directly to key 0.
key & param_smaller 50% ? repeat_start_instant 'key_reset_minus' 50ms & key_smooth +0.001 & key 0 ? key 0 & repeat_stop 'key_reset_minus'

This one goes back to 0 and keeps going up instead of stopping at 0.
key & param_smaller 50% ? repeat_start_instant 'key_reset_minus' 50ms & key_smooth +0.001 & key & param_bigger '-0.1' ? key 0 & repeat_stop 'key_reset_minus'

This one jumps immidiately back to 0.
repeat_start_instant 'key_reset_watcher' 10ms & key & param_bigger '-0.1' ? key 0 & repeat_stop 'key_reset_minus' & repeat_stop 'key_reset_watcher'

Posted Thu 13 Sep 18 @ 12:08 pm
You want the key to change while the track is playing out to the audience?

I think you'd get some strange looks! They'd think something was wrong with your music or equipment!

Posted Thu 13 Sep 18 @ 12:19 pm
That's why I want it as smooth as possible...
Or let's say at least as evenly as possible...
If you stretch this process over one minute, it should be ok... but you can use this as a creative element where you want the audience to hear the key-change because you want to start a tone toneplay or something... then it would be great to smoothly and evenly go to the key you need or back from the modified key to the original one.

Posted Thu 13 Sep 18 @ 1:52 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
If there is a way to do it would be interesting to hear the results - I suspect it would feel a bit weird or unnatural to musically-minded folks listening.

Or watching a B&W movie slowly switch to colour over a minute or two.

Posted Thu 13 Sep 18 @ 6:25 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)