Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Seen this? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Prepping for a wedding next week on a Mac Sierra os.
All of a sudden the gui starts flickering, then freezing, then crashing, then recovers.
Next incident, same thing but locks, then black screen, have to force power down.
Acting like a graphics issue.

Switched to SSL with ME and ran 5 hours with no problem what so ever.

Anybody experienced this happening?

Posted Mon 03 Sep 18 @ 3:50 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Is this related to some connected hardware ? Have you tried without it ?

Posted Tue 04 Sep 18 @ 7:54 am
All that is connected is a hard drive and a DN 6000.

Posted Tue 04 Sep 18 @ 10:48 am
it happened to me too 3 days ago, I faced only screen flickering. I use DDJ-SZ with launchpad mkII. All I've done is close vdj and start again and everything was fine then. I use the standard skin with the grey color, suddenly it starts turning black and dimmed but when I attempt to open the settings it returns to normal, so I closed VDJ and open again and it works fine, so weird

Posted Tue 04 Sep 18 @ 12:19 pm
Well the strange part is that when it first happened, VDJ crashed and reopened with the same track loaded at the same point and continued playing.
Really not interested in the stress all night that this might happen at any time.
There is no warning like a peaking CPU or jumpy GUI, its just starts flickering and hangs.
Its not the latest version, but damned close.
I wondered if this was reported and fixed cause I haven't really been paying attention to the troubleshooting page.
The hardware including the 6k worked fine with SSL and ME for 5 hours, not a glitch.
So, I kinda doubt its a system problem.

Posted Tue 04 Sep 18 @ 1:57 pm

Ok, so after several panic attacks...
I am running a NVidia 9600 m GT @ 512 mb with this older Mac, I thought it was 1G but after finding my build receipt confirmed it and yes its old.
Thinking back to when I last restored it with a new drive and fresh load up of software, I remember having GUI issues with Mix Emergency.
Pounded sand trying to figure it out, then discovered their "automatic" video memory utility was set for 1G running this 512 video card...aah huh.
The reset fixed it and forgot it.

Then last night I am going through settings/options and find the "automatic" setting @ 488 mb on a 512 card...
So I guess the next question is how this feature is coded to max out a card rather than choose a conservative number like half like we used to do manually.

Posted Wed 05 Sep 18 @ 8:47 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Sounds like part of the video memory is corrupt then, causing weird things when it's used.
You can try to put videoMaxMemory to 10 or so to minimize the amount vdj tries to use and see if that makes a difference.
But if you are getting graphics glitches then it does sound like a hardware issue

Posted Thu 06 Sep 18 @ 5:03 am
As a tech I tend to believe that mechanical or hardware problems don't come and go randomly, they will fail repeatedly.
Once I corrected the video memory setting to half of the card's available memory, not a problem yet.
Like I said, this nearly exact thing happened with Mix Emergency's software with their auto memory setting, and once corrected has been fine since.

I guess what I don't understand is how this limit is set by the software at 488.
All of the other systems I run this on have lower settings while set on automatic.
It would seem that for vdj to chose a limit this high it would have to see a video card much higher in memory than what is on the machine.

Posted Thu 06 Sep 18 @ 6:48 pm
No, that is correct, the videoMaxMemory setting on auto should be close to the real amount of memory vdj detected.
It will not use the full amount of that setting though.

Posted Thu 06 Sep 18 @ 8:01 pm
Thank you.
I remember when this was first discovered and we halved the total to be safe.
The other systems I use have much lower settings, but this one is close to max memory and by the results, too close.

And.... time for an upgrade, Jason said 10 years and I wanted to prove him right lol.
This thing is 17" and out of the box new in condition, so obviously I want to keep the 17 as long as I can.

Posted Thu 06 Sep 18 @ 9:38 pm
Hi,
I experience this problem since June not only with one computer, all with nVidia graphic boards (Both Quadros & Geforces) but not all. No problem with intel.
This appears not to be MacOS specific.
There were 2 updates at the same date : the new windows spring and virtualdj
It seems to me to be last Windows 10 is the problem because there is no problem with Pc which are not updated.

If VideoMaxMemory can help, How ?
current value look like "actually Automatic (26)", I really do not have any idea what to specify instead

Posted Fri 07 Sep 18 @ 2:49 pm
hh73PRO InfinityMember since 2006
win 10 lately has been breaking apps left and right. sometimes vdj would not even open. i just got a hold of windows 8.1, did a lot of driver hunting. and re installed everything. everythings works great. if you hate the metro crap. install a free app called "classic shell". and install all the windiws 8.1 updates. there are many.

laptop is a lenovo y-900. way overspecced but was a gift.

Posted Fri 07 Sep 18 @ 4:10 pm
hh73PRO InfinityMember since 2006
2 other things. win 8 can only run now on intel series 6 chips and below.

and if using windows 10. dont use the insiders preview. i used to love getting the latest features and bug fixes. but its not worth it if you want stability. hopefully this fall, when the new update comes out. things will be better.

Posted Fri 07 Sep 18 @ 4:15 pm
Adion wrote :
No, that is correct, the videoMaxMemory setting on auto should be close to the real amount of memory vdj detected.

This is making no sense.
To run a card memory at 90%+ leaves no head room especially when running HD 1080 video which my system already struggles with.
Every system I have this on has an auto setting less than half of total except this Mac.
Beat this senseless for 7 hours yesterday without a single hang or glitch in the gui.
I dont think my hardware is to blame.
I think the auto setting was pushing too hard, especially knowing that we had to set this to half total in the past.

Posted Sun 09 Sep 18 @ 12:54 pm
Quote :

Posted Sun 09 Sep 18 @ 1:28 pm
Noted that, but seeing the large differences across different systems and realizing the difference maker, has me wondering where the actual use setting is when it did what it did to my Mac. It was obviously too high and causing a problem.
I do have video and still screen shots of it happening.

Posted Sun 09 Sep 18 @ 4:43 pm
Ok
So here again the problem sticks its head up after an update.
This machine has a 512 card and the max memory on auto was set to 488 causing a speckled gui and eventual lock up requiring a power down.
Reset it to half the mem capacity or 256 and its flawless.
Is there a way to carry over this setting when updating or is it something that must be checked and reset each time?
The setting is supposed to set a hard limit on the amount of memory vdj can use, but a setting that is at 85% of available memory is causing problems here.

Posted Sat 17 Nov 18 @ 8:57 pm
Your settings should remain on updating.

Is the issue in windows or macos btw?

Posted Sun 18 Nov 18 @ 1:53 am
Yes, I thought it odd that settings would not stay.
Yesterday when I found it I deleted automatic 488 and typed in 256 then closing options.
An hour later the gui was frozen again and I had to power down again.
When I opened config again it was back at automatic 488.
So the save feature didn't take, although proper closure of vdj normally is necessary to save changes etc...

I reset it again back to 256, checked it, checked it again, ran 2 hours and checked it again as I did just now and its still on 256.
So I don't know what is causing this, but what I do know it definately wasn't changed by me.
Its a Mac book pro running V 8.3 b4592 btw.

Posted Sun 18 Nov 18 @ 1:18 pm
Vdj indeed need to be closed properly for settings to save, so best to close vdj after changing the setting to do a proper test.

Posted Sun 18 Nov 18 @ 1:30 pm
95%