Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Copyright question.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Where are some good places to buy songs for streaming or other such uses. I'm a bit nervous about using the collection I have now, because of possible copyright issues down the line.

Posted Thu 09 Aug 18 @ 7:04 pm
you can't buy music that is licensed for streaming.

you pay the fees after the fact depending on listener counts etc is pretty complex

Posted Thu 09 Aug 18 @ 8:35 pm
Thanks. I guess I won't stream then. Can you buy music licensed for public performance?

Posted Fri 10 Aug 18 @ 2:48 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Usually the same organisation that collects fees for public performance also collects them for streaming, so best to check their website for more information.

Most artists will either directly or indirectly join this organization, so their music falls under these rules.
There are some exceptions with artists either selling their music completely on their own and possibly explicitly giving you rights for broadcast or public performance, or artists that even make their music available for free under a Creative Commons license that grants you these rights.
Note that these copyright organisations often don't know much about these alternative licenses, so it may be still be required to notify them about your event before, and possibly only recover the costs afterwards once they get the playlist and you can prove that it is not music from any of their members.

Posted Fri 10 Aug 18 @ 7:35 am
In the U.S.A., the venue is responsible for the licensing fees from, ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC. There are a few others, but these are the big ones. If you are performing in public, playing other peoples music, whether live or recorded, the venue needs these licenses. If you paid for your music, you will not have a problem. You are also allowed to play music from our ContentUnlimited services. You are not allowed to stream other services, as per their End User Agreements.

Posted Sat 11 Aug 18 @ 7:43 am
I have my personal collection of music, about 1000 cds and cassettes that i've purchased over the past 30+ years can I stream that? I paid Listen2myradio to design an app for iPhone and Android now after about a month and a half I get an email from Listen2myradio team saying iPhone wants me to provide a contract with royalites that I pay for each listener that is listening to my radio? First of all Im a non profit radio i do this for fun. Any help wold be great, the expinations from the Listen2myradio team is about as clear as mud.. thanks..

Posted Sat 02 Jan 21 @ 9:27 pm
Just because you purchased a copy of a song (CD, cassette, whatever), that does not give you the right to broadcast it. Only to listen to it. It's like those messages from sports organizations about "express written consent." That being said, you can still broadcast (some) copyrighted music on some platforms without spending money on licenses. Facebook is SUPER restrictive. YouTube is less so, but despite reports to the contrary, I have found them to be increasing their enforcement. I broadcast video of all kinds of music to my YouTube channel (CornerDJ.com) and over time I have developed my own list of songs that you can't play. If you do play a song that is not allowed by YouTube, they will block the video and warn you but generally there's no penalty. You are given the opportunity to edit your post after the fact to delete or mute the songs in question. It's not perfect, but it seems to be the best option right now. In short, you can't play AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac, Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, some Led Zeppelin, and a whole variety of other stuff. In my VDJ database, I use a field for commenting on songs that are banned on YouTube, always updating as I play something else that's not allowed. This lets me know not to play them in the future, limiting my editing after the fact.

Posted Sun 17 Jan 21 @ 5:12 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)