Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: how best to access entire music library on pc and laptop

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

What do you folks see as the easiest way to get to entire music library across a couple of devices? Thanks for your input :)

Posted Sun 05 Aug 18 @ 1:58 am
Put your entire library on both machines.

Some may suggest using an external drive, but what if something happens to it? You need two, right? A 'live' one and a backup. Putting your library directly on the two machines gives you that, with no external drive involved.

Posted Sun 05 Aug 18 @ 7:06 am
Ok, that's what I'm wondering about...what's the easiest way to put it on both machines, and keep both libraries updated?

Thank you for your reply :)

Posted Wed 08 Aug 18 @ 12:56 am
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I use FreeFileSync to synchronize computers and for some backups. I have one computer as the master and do all of my database manipulation on that one then sync to the other using the mirror option.

It works for me - it’s pretty easy to use.

Posted Wed 08 Aug 18 @ 2:06 am
What about using a USB flash drive (or a faster one: M2 SSD in external case) and backup the device from time to time (maybe after finishing prep for the gig and before starting to DJ)? In case you are are on Windows you can use robocopy to only backup the diff (files that changed).

Posted Thu 09 Aug 18 @ 3:54 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Fastest, i think would be networked connection, My last machine update I "made" a cross over patch lead (extrortioate to buy, but about e10 to buy a regular rj45 patch, punch down tool & modual)
and it transfered at near full 100MB (or maybe Mb)

I honestly don't know the limit of usb3 but since I'm installing cat7 in offices, I'll hazard a guess networked is fasterist.

Posted Thu 09 Aug 18 @ 6:17 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
WiFi 802.11g - 54Mbps
Regular network - 100Mbps
USB2 - 480Mbps
Fast network - 1Gbps (still not available on every router)
Wifi 802.11ac (max achievable, typical is a bit lower) - 1.3Gbps
USB3 - 5Gbps (some ports up to 10Gbps, and I believe 20Gbps is planned)
Pro network - 10Gbps (I don't think I've seen any consumer routers that support this)

Note that regular single hard drives will be able to read/write at about 100MB/sec or 800Mbps

Posted Thu 09 Aug 18 @ 6:33 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Thanks for that info, I guessed that the i/o hard limit would be HD access times .

Explains why fibre to the desktop ain't a thing yet.
(Seriously considering fibre to my house, then become a isp to my neighbours)

Posted Thu 09 Aug 18 @ 6:49 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Another plug for FreeFileSync - it does everything Robocopy does (at least everything I ever used Robocopy for) but is graphical and highly configurable. And you can save profiles for different uses.

BTW I last copied my media library (a few hundred gigabytes) over network (wired) in about two hours.

External USB SSD will also be fast.

Posted Thu 09 Aug 18 @ 10:52 pm
Excellent, thanks peeps!

Posted Sat 11 Aug 18 @ 4:16 pm
This is my current process for keeping my libraries on my primary and secondary in sync and the library backed up.

Any and all new music is loaded on the primary. A minimum of once a week I use AllWay Sync (purchased this over 10 years.. lifetime upgrades) to sync up to my home server (this serves as my primary backup). It is based on LimeTech's Unraid technology so it has built in redundancy. Second I sync the music on the secondary laptop to the library on the home server. Then about once a month I sync the library on the primary laptop to SSD external and keep it somewhere off-site.
Should something catastrophic happen to my house the off-site backup is still safe. You can usually buy new equipment fairly quickly; but acquiring and rebuilding a large music library does not happen in a few days.

Posted Sat 11 Aug 18 @ 5:24 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)