Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: an old school appeal

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

searching hasn't yielded results, both in the forum or in Options, and it might be I even missed it, but this is one of the pet peeves that is really annoying when I need to have access to all the video effects the moment I open VirtualDJ- but could we please have an option start with the "old school' way it started up showing transitions and video effects? or is there already a way of doing it that I missed when searching? as it is now I have to start it up, drag a video to a deck and then I can get to the full menu tree

Posted Sun 15 Jul 18 @ 3:37 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Just curious, but why would you need to select a transition without any video loaded?

(You can still select Transitions from the video source menu if you do need it btw)

Posted Sun 15 Jul 18 @ 4:42 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Working on AutoVXF when this change happened and it disturbed my way of doing stuff, but as you say, load a visual.

Posted Sun 15 Jul 18 @ 6:01 pm
Adion - anything that adds an extra step to get to something that was a default and gave instant access without having to load anything or click on something is an interruption in workflow.
walk in club, turn everything on, drop a few tracks in Auto, set up transition, screen crawls and graphics to run that night and then pour in caffeine. sure it's ritual, but it's a comfortable one. and I always thought the fewer steps in a workflow the better?
as to why I would need Transition menu without a video loaded - If I have a mixed list of video and audio in automix then it doesn't automatically switch to the dual preview.

and for some reason as I sit here and test this... it did not load the first video in an automix list after an audio track had played through and a video was playing..
well this is weird. it's not automatically activating video screen on load in automix.
video on load is still check "yes"
will see if I can get a screen capture

Posted Sun 15 Jul 18 @ 8:19 pm

Posted Sun 15 Jul 18 @ 8:29 pm
tried both ways with this.
if a video is first in automix list then video activates. if not - stays off.

Posted Sun 15 Jul 18 @ 8:42 pm
wondering if I need to open a new thread for this since it's even worse now with b4490
alternating audio/video/audio/video in automix with start video onload checked 'yes' is not activating and now I have this in the preview window after manual opening transitions from drop down menu
just ran and alternating list and it didn't activate video at all

Posted Thu 19 Jul 18 @ 1:23 pm
I think it makes sense that automix doesn't automatically open the video output.
Can't really think of a situation where you have an external monitor showing the desktop at one time, start automix and leave it, but then still want the second monitor to show video once a video comes up (and when another audio track comes up, it would not go back to showing the desktop)

Posted Thu 19 Jul 18 @ 1:39 pm
it makes sense that a video doesn't load when it's supposed to?
maybe I've been misinterpreting what startVideoOnLoad means when it says "Automatically open the video output window when you load a video track"

I would think no matter what the conditions, or circumstances, that it would load a video track when it was supposed to.

Posted Thu 19 Jul 18 @ 2:35 pm
When you manually load a video yes, but I'm not sure you want this to happen automatically when you are in automix and possibly not around your computer.

Posted Thu 19 Jul 18 @ 2:38 pm
I noticed this too. One club I work in I have a video automix playlist and once I start automix from the panel I still have to enable the video out separately.

I'm with John on this one.

Posted Thu 19 Jul 18 @ 2:45 pm
If I have a playlist in automix and it has video then DEFINITELY want the video to load

Posted Thu 19 Jul 18 @ 2:46 pm
If you have no songs loaded, and the first video in your automix is a video, then the video output still activates automatically by starting automix.

Edit: What I'm most confused about is the that this situation only occurs if you were playing audio before but the video output was not activated yet.
So in order for it to make sense that the video output is activated automatically, the monitors must already have been connected and on.
So my confusion is what those monitors were displaying before your automix reaches this video file.
Since you want the video output to automatically activate, I assume they were not showing anything but the windows desktop.
But that doesn't seem like something you'd want in a professional setting. In that case you would already want some slideshow or video running even before you reach that video file no?

Posted Thu 19 Jul 18 @ 2:49 pm
Adion - sometimes circumstances require it.
on more than one occasion I have been called to go do something by the manager and was still expected to have video on screen when the club was open.
I could drop a few tracks in as filler and have it timed to have video onscreen at exactly 8pm when we opened.

Posted Thu 19 Jul 18 @ 2:52 pm
and just for giggles (and to see if I was remembering right) I fired up v7.4.7 loaded an alternating list of audio/video/audio/video
and lo and behold the video window started up with the first audio track.

Posted Thu 19 Jul 18 @ 2:58 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)