Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Need some help on wifi, streaming service and tip as have a party to DJ at very soon.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,
New to the forum but have used Virtual DJ before.

I have a birthday party where I will be doing a 5 hour plus set. I downloaded the demo of DJAY Pro and it keeps freezing. I only used this software because my playlist was created on Spotify.

I have ditched the DJAY pro and have gone to Virtual DJ, which I used once before and was very reliable alas no Spotify option for my playlist.

I used the Virtial DJ software last night and it still seems very reliable. My issues at present are:

Can I get iDJPool in the UK as it keeps coming up with only available in the US. Can you also use songs offline with this service?

I will be doing my set in a field with limited if any WIFI at all. What would be my best option here. I know I am going to have to put some work in creating the playlist again but need a way that ticks all the right boxes and songs that I can play offline would be perfect.

Also, I have bought a DJ splitter cable and can anyone tell me how I change setting to have one side for headphones and one side for the speaker system I will be using on the day?

Thanks in advance.

Posted Wed 13 Jun 18 @ 10:09 am
I use iDJPool in Denmark without any issues, so I would think so yes
And yes you can download to cache and use the tracks offline
BUT
iDJPool is a DJ pool licensed for DJing in public - but it doesn't have everything like Spotify does
You can test it's content for free without signing up, simply by starting using it
It will work fine without the subscription - but you only get 30 sec of each track
Like this:

Another option is to use Deezer - that is like Spotify
BUT
- You need a VDJ license
- It will not work offline (neither would Spotify with djay pro by the way)
- It's not licensed for public use (so it has to be your private party or something like that)

The splitter cable has it's own setup button in VDJ so that's easy to setup:

Regarding a VDJ license you also need that if you are making money of the gig
If it's an unpaid private / home party I don't think you need to get one (but someone else will be better to answer that)

Posted Wed 13 Jun 18 @ 10:48 am
Joydivision1974 wrote :
Can I get iDJPool in the UK as it keeps coming up with only available in the US. Can you also use songs offline with this service?

Yes you can use it in the UK. (the service iDJPool offers on their website is a buy tracks service only available in the US, but the exclusive streaming service they offer through VirtualDJ does have the license to be used in the UK)
And Yes, you can use the songs offline. Just right-click on a song you want and select "download to Cache".

Joydivision1974 wrote :
Also, I have bought a DJ splitter cable and can anyone tell me how I change setting to have one side for headphones and one side for the speaker system I will be using on the day?

Open the config, and click on the big button saying "Speaker + Headphones" and the button next saying "Stereo to mono splitter", and you're good to go.

Posted Wed 13 Jun 18 @ 10:51 am
Thanks Klaus and Teamer. Your answers have been really helpful and should solve my issues and questions.

Thanks so much as this really means a lot and has helped me on my way.

Posted Wed 13 Jun 18 @ 10:59 am
Also, how do I get on the IDJ Pool site. When I go to the .com site it says USA only? Thanks

Posted Wed 13 Jun 18 @ 11:00 am
I have used a VPN to get on the site. I try and buy Mp3 for DJs but the option to buy does not come up. This is confusing the hell out of me or do I need to buy this through the Virtual DJ app itself? Thanks

Posted Wed 13 Jun 18 @ 11:36 am
You need to subscribe to Content Unlimited via this site to use the service in VDJ.

Posted Wed 13 Jun 18 @ 11:54 am
You don't need to use a VPN service. You need to purchase through Virtual DJ.

This can be done on this website here: http://www.virtualdj.com/buy/index.html
Or within the software itself under Settings and Licenses.

Once you have this set up, you simply search the tracks from within VDJ. You can then stream them or download to cache (as mentioned above).

Posted Wed 13 Jun 18 @ 11:57 am
Thanks all.

Will try tonight. All seems good with your replies that have helped so much.

Posted Wed 13 Jun 18 @ 12:24 pm
Sorry, can I also check you can use the the IDJ Pool in the free version of Virtual DJ and still use tracks offline?

Thanks

Posted Wed 13 Jun 18 @ 12:39 pm
Joydivision1974 wrote :
Sorry, can I also check you can use the the IDJ Pool in the free version of Virtual DJ and still use tracks offline?
Thanks

Sorry, I don't think I can test that - Because when I log out of VDJ to return to the free version, I also log out of iDJPool - which leaves me with the 30 sec free trial tracks, which I don't think can be downloaded for offline play (it would really make no sense)

Posted Wed 13 Jun 18 @ 12:53 pm
Thanks Klaus.

Posted Wed 13 Jun 18 @ 1:46 pm
Yes, if you're paying your Content Unlimited subscription, you can use it with or without a VDJ license.

Posted Wed 13 Jun 18 @ 5:33 pm
Thanks again all. I sorted the Idj Pool last night. My only issue is lack of rock and indie songs so have had to rethink my playlist.

Posted Fri 15 Jun 18 @ 9:20 am
Of course you could just buy them...

I know, alien concept to many people these days unfortunately.

Posted Fri 15 Jun 18 @ 4:29 pm
Hi,

Just wondered as I am testing it tonight. With the setting on this thread with the internal soundcard - Should this be fine to use at the party into a PA and still hear what I need to in my headphones without the crowd hearing it?

Cheers

Posted Mon 18 Jun 18 @ 2:40 pm
Following teh last comment I am also seeing a lot about USB soundcards. Would I need one of these?

Posted Mon 18 Jun 18 @ 2:44 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I suggest you test things with your splitter cable. Use as much of the equipment you'll be using the night of the party as you possibly can. If the PA isn't available ahead of time, use a home stereo or something else. The pros take the time and effort to eliminate chance events as much as possible, and you can too. (Edit: I just noticed you said you are testing tonight - great!)

Read the manual. Experiment. Try things out for yourselves. If you get it working well, there's no need for a USB soundcard (or a controller) at this point.

The nice thing about these forums is they can give you an answer to a question (and you've got lots of answers to your questions), but they can't replace the experience you'll get by trying things yourself, and figuring them out.

You'll also learn a lot if you research things yourself. Read these forums - many questions have already been answered. Read the manual. Go to manufacturer's websites and look at the products. Go to a store and try them. Talk to the salespeople in the stores. Somebody here can tell you they love their XYZ product but it may not be ideal for you in your situation.

So: try what you've got, get it working, and then decide if that's enough to do what you want. If not, do some research to see what else might work.

Good luck!

Posted Mon 18 Jun 18 @ 3:56 pm
Phil. Thanks so much. I tested it all with a home speaker and all good. I am a little worried what it will be like in the night with big speakers and PA but you post really mad me realize s good few things. Really appreciate that

Posted Mon 18 Jun 18 @ 8:29 pm
How are you djing a 5 hour set as a HOME USER?

Posted Wed 23 Dec 20 @ 5:15 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)