Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VDJ 2018 and VDJ 8 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Has anyone tested installing 2018 on a computer with VDJ 8 already running? I would love to install this but don't want to wreck my stable VDJ 8 build and I don't have a test pc available right now to test with.

Posted Wed 06 Jun 18 @ 6:37 pm
 Best Answer On Windows:
- click WIN+E to open file explorer, click on the folder bar, and type: C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualDJ then press enter
- You will see one file with the VirtualDJ icon, named "virtualdj8". Select it, then press F2 to rename it, and type "virtualdj82" and press enter
- Drag and drop this file to your desktop, while keeping CTRL and SHIFT pressed. This will create a shortcut "virtualdj82" on your desktop
- Now download VirtualDJ 2018 and install it.
- You will now have two shortcuts on your desktop, one called "virtualdj82" and one "VirtualDJ 2018"

On Mac:
- Open the Applications folder, right click VirtualDJ8 and select "duplicate", then "rename" and type VirtualDJ82.
- Now just install VirtualDJ 2018.

Posted Wed 06 Jun 18 @ 10:33 pm[ selected best answer by Stephane Clavel on Wed 06 Jun 18 @ 10:33 pm ]
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Make a copy of your current vdj.exe and then you can have both.

Posted Wed 06 Jun 18 @ 6:54 pm
is vdj 2018 is free for pro infinity user? How can I run both vdj on same computer?
Just for test!!

Posted Wed 06 Jun 18 @ 8:35 pm
moviefrek wrote :
is vdj 2018 is free for pro infinity user? How can I run both vdj on same computer?
Just for test!!

Yes
Rename your old virtualdj.exe file before updating - then you can have them side by side and run the one you want

Posted Wed 06 Jun 18 @ 9:07 pm
Forgive my ignorance but where do i find the vdj.exe to change, Do i just rename the shortcut and the application shortcut for vdj in the program files. Thanks for your help. Really would like to try virtual dj 2018

Posted Wed 06 Jun 18 @ 9:35 pm
Right click shortcut, find target copy target call it vdj8.2 make a shortcut to this.
Then update your usual .exe inside vdj

Posted Wed 06 Jun 18 @ 9:38 pm
Thanks locodog but still not sire what to do. What is "target" that i am supposed to find and copy and where is the "usual vdj.exe" file found. Apologies for the stupid question and thanks for the quick response, appreciate it

Posted Wed 06 Jun 18 @ 9:54 pm
If you are on windows, the path to the exe file you can rename is usually:
C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualDJ\virtualdj8.exe

Posted Wed 06 Jun 18 @ 10:08 pm
Ok not find target, the method is right click the shortcut, open file location.

Posted Wed 06 Jun 18 @ 10:21 pm
Thanks Locodog & Klaus , really appreciate it

Posted Wed 06 Jun 18 @ 10:24 pm
On Windows:
- click WIN+E to open file explorer, click on the folder bar, and type: C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualDJ then press enter
- You will see one file with the VirtualDJ icon, named "virtualdj8". Select it, then press F2 to rename it, and type "virtualdj82" and press enter
- Drag and drop this file to your desktop, while keeping CTRL and SHIFT pressed. This will create a shortcut "virtualdj82" on your desktop
- Now download VirtualDJ 2018 and install it.
- You will now have two shortcuts on your desktop, one called "virtualdj82" and one "VirtualDJ 2018"

On Mac:
- Open the Applications folder, right click VirtualDJ8 and select "duplicate", then "rename" and type VirtualDJ82.
- Now just install VirtualDJ 2018.

Selected as best answer Posted Wed 06 Jun 18 @ 10:33 pm
Does this trick of running 2 work for a mac?

Posted Wed 06 Jun 18 @ 11:26 pm
Yeah same thing, copy and rename (the copy of) current .exe,
Use current exe to update.

Posted Thu 07 Jun 18 @ 12:59 am
*****For Mac users******

I made a backup of VirtualDJ 8.2 b4291 before updating to VirtualDJ 2018 (I always routinely make a backup before updating).

After reading this thread about running both versions, I renamed the backup VirtualDJ 8.2 to VirtualDJ82 and copied it into the Applications folder on my Mac..... and Ta Da!!! Sweet, both versions instantly accessible!

So much easier to pick which version to run. I even ran both versions together accessing the same external hard drive and loading different tunes into the players. Didn't have my controller connected though. Not that I would do this at a gig, it's just a bit of fun.

P.S. Just remember to SWITCH OFF updates on the older VirtualDJ82.

Posted Thu 07 Jun 18 @ 12:57 pm
It should also be noted that VirtualDJ 2018 is built on top of the VirtualDJ 8 engine.
It just adds new features, but everything else is the same.
It still uses the same database, config, plugins, etc, as VirtualDJ 8.

Unlike the transition from VirtualDJ 7 to VirtualDJ 8, that was a complete rewrite, this one is just some new added feature, and is completely safe.
Once we officially release VirtualDJ 2018, there should be no reason for people not to use the new version.

Posted Thu 07 Jun 18 @ 6:49 pm
If I install only the new 2018 beta version can I update this version with new updates?

Posted Thu 07 Jun 18 @ 7:08 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Yes, VirtualDJ 2018 will receive auto-updates, in the same way the previous version were getting.

Posted Thu 07 Jun 18 @ 7:23 pm
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
Thank you for this build Atomix.

I hope that this doesnt come out as a complain, just want to adress some things that I have noticed.

I see above that there should be no problem with older plugins, but when testing the program I have seen that my plugin "Title" does not work anymore (the file is still in the videoeffect folder).

Now I have seen the new "Cover" function that does not set the same standard as "title" yet, with the resolution of the cover and how to use the configuration of position ?

And when I am on it, is there any settings for the videoplayer "skin" that could turn of the name of files, and perhaps change the position and size of the waveforms and the spinning wheels ?

/ F

Posted Thu 07 Jun 18 @ 7:26 pm
freppa wrote :
I have seen that my plugin "Title" does not work anymore (the file is still in the videoeffect folder).

If you're referring to the native plugin "title", it was removed in vdj2018, since videoskins can do the job more efficiently.
But the plugin will be available soon in the extensions section for people who really want it.

freppa wrote :
Now I have seen the new "Cover" function that does not set the same standard as "title" yet, with the resolution of the cover and how to use the configuration of position ?

Cover is not intended to replace title, it's intended to be used as a source for audio-tracks when you're mixing video tracks and audio tracks.
To use the position window, just move your mouse to the white edge until the cursor changes to arrows, and resize or move the grey zone.

freppa wrote :
And when I am on it, is there any settings for the videoplayer "skin" that could turn of the name of files, and perhaps change the position and size of the waveforms and the spinning wheels ?

Go in settings in the Interface page, click on the videoskin you want to edit, and click on the "edit this skin" blue link on the top right corner.
This will open a folder with the files you can modify, and add an entry "for Live (edit)" in the videoskins list, that you can select to use your edited version.

Posted Thu 07 Jun 18 @ 8:16 pm
I know it's not recommended, and I failed to create the copy, but I was really excited to try it out. But was there any testing done yet by any of the other virtualdjradio DJs? I don't want to be the first one to find out that there's a problem.

Posted Fri 08 Jun 18 @ 10:32 pm
33%