Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How to program a knob?
Hi, anybody knows how to program a knob of a consolle? I've seen a lot of tutorials on YT that teach how to program a button and if you press it, it toggles on/off a selected effect. But if I want to program a knob? I want that when i turn knob left strenght effect slider decreases, and when i turn knob right strenght effect slider increases..
Sorry for my bad english..

Posted Sat 19 May 18 @ 10:12 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Are you talking about a custom dial (knob) (the ones on vdj display) or a dial on a controller?

either way it is very much like a button but the script you want is

effect_slider "FX name" 1

you can change fx name to any effect or you could use a fx slot number in it's place.
So

effect_slider 2 3
This will effect the second fx slot the third slider.

Posted Sat 19 May 18 @ 10:40 am
I tried but it didn't work..
I'm talking about a knob on a physical controller. I would change strenght of the active effect rotating it. I didn't want to select the effect rotating the knob, I just want to modify the strenght rotating it..But only when an effect is active, not a specifica effect, a effects in general

My idea is to assign to every physical button I have an effect and then when I active one pressing on a button I would modify the strenght of it rotating the knob

Posted Sat 19 May 18 @ 11:09 am
Ok you are taking me very literal, try this

effect_slider

Posted Sat 19 May 18 @ 11:19 am
I tried this
var '$djcontrol' 1 ? deck effect_slider 0% : var '$djcontrol' 0 ? deck effect_slider-2%: deck effect_slider+2%
but nothing

Posted Sat 19 May 18 @ 11:43 am
Where did you get that from ?

When you use

effect_slider

Doest slider 1 on fx slot 1 move?

Posted Sat 19 May 18 @ 3:05 pm
I didn't find anywhere the code I posted, I tried to make it for my own haha
When I put only effect_slider 1 and I rotate the knob on my physical controller probably I hear something different but I'm not sure, but on the screen the knob doesn't rotate

Posted Sat 19 May 18 @ 3:34 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Which controller is that ?
Is this a knob with physical start and end points or an endless encoder ?
Keep in mind that without a Pro license, you will not be able to use custom definitions or Simple Midi mapping for unsupported controllers

Posted Sun 20 May 18 @ 9:36 pm
I think djcontrol is an android app.

Posted Sun 20 May 18 @ 10:55 pm
It's a Hercules Dj Control Steel
The original code for the knob I want to change into is this: var '$djcontrol' 1 ? deck right djc_button_slider 1 : var '$djcontrol' 0 ? deck left djc_button_slider 1 : deck master effect_slider 1
I know many features are available only on pro version, but I can try the full version for 10 minutes until it stops and I'm deciding if I wanna buy or not, obviously if something doesn't work I'll don't buy Virtual DJ (it doesn't make sense) and I'll keep the original program of the controller (traktor) I have already

When I rotate the knob, the virtual knob on the screen doesn't rotate

Posted Mon 21 May 18 @ 8:46 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Posted Mon 21 May 18 @ 12:58 pm
MDJ2513Home userMember since 2019
Hello DJ,s nice to contact you,
i aprecciate any help with a rotary knob in keyboard included and used for PC volume control, how can apply another function like effect slider in VDJ.
I try in the controller settings but rotary knob KEY is not detect, there no activity, but it working fine for audio volume control in OS. It is an old Dell SK-8135 Keyboard and other external numpad with rotary knob and set the mouse central wheel if possible.
Thanks in advanced. Bless.

Posted Sun 07 Jun 20 @ 2:06 am
match246ControlleristMember since 2013
var '$djcontrol' 0 ? deck left effect_slider 1 2 : var '$djcontrol' 1 ? deck right effect_slider 1 2 : nothing

Posted Wed 28 Apr 21 @ 9:42 pm