Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Is there a Talkover feature yet or am I just not paying attention?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PolkamanControlleristMember since 2016
I wrote a script for a custom talkover button but it doesn't fade in and out (like Sam does...), its an instantaneous drop and raise. I can adjust the percentage of drop, I use 55%, but it sounds so abrupt in a live setting. Does anyone know of a script that will adjust the time to fade in and out as well as the percentage of drop? It seems like the Holy Grail of this software.

Posted Tue 08 May 18 @ 3:39 am
Holy grail? Hmm... personally I would not use such a feature, so maybe that's a bit of a stretch :-)

But what is your current script? Maybe it can be improved

Posted Tue 08 May 18 @ 3:47 am
This is one that I have used myself:

repeat_start 'fadevolume' 10ms & volume 50% ? repeat_stop 'fadevolume' : volume -1%

and then to return to full volume:

repeat_start 'fadevolume' 10ms & volume 100% ? repeat_stop 'fadevolume' : volume +1%

Posted Tue 08 May 18 @ 1:40 pm
KJ Erkin wrote :
This is one that I have used myself:

repeat_start 'fadevolume' 10ms & volume 50% ? repeat_stop 'fadevolume' : volume -1%

and then to return to full volume:

repeat_start 'fadevolume' 10ms & volume 100% ? repeat_stop 'fadevolume' : volume +1%

Nice.

You can make it a "while pressed" like feature by combining them, like:
down ? repeat_start 'fadevolume' 10ms & volume 50% ? repeat_stop 'fadevolume' : volume -1% : repeat_start 'fadevolume' 10ms & volume 100% ? repeat_stop 'fadevolume' : volume +1%

But to make it a general script you may want to store the starting point in a variable, and return to the value, in case some prefer to mix without having the deck faders at 100%

Posted Tue 08 May 18 @ 2:30 pm
Nothing beats moving the deck fader by hand yourself, as you talk.

No script or automated system is going to know in advance when you're about to talk, how loud you'll be, how long you'll speak for, what the music under you doing at the time (loud, quiet, vocals?)....

Posted Tue 08 May 18 @ 4:33 pm
PolkamanControlleristMember since 2016
Haven't checked back in awhile. Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a try and let you know.

Posted Thu 20 Sep 18 @ 7:49 pm
This has been really helpful info here. I managed to put a script together that works for me exactly as I want it. Maybe someone else may also find it useful.

var_equal "TalkOver" 1 ? set "TalkOver" 0 & repeat_start 'fadevolume' 0ms & volume 100% ? & mic off & repeat_stop 'fadevolume' : volume +2% : mic on & set "TalkOver" 1 & repeat_start 'fadevolume' 0ms & volume 40% ? repeat_stop 'fadevolume' : volume -2%

Same button fade in/out-on/off microphone control. The delay for me did not seem to be very critical weather it was set at 0ms or at 10ms or at 20ms. Seems to produce about the same timing. The volume percentage though seems to be pretty critical.

Posted Fri 11 Jan 19 @ 1:27 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
AbaddonDarkness wrote :
...The delay for me did not seem to be very critical weather it was set at 0ms or at 10ms or at 20ms. Seems to produce about the same timing...

It won't make a difference because the fastest repeat_start scripts can run is 33ms, anything less than that and it defaults to 33ms.

Posted Fri 11 Jan 19 @ 2:13 am
AbaddonDarkness wrote :
This has been really helpful info here. I managed to put a script together that works for me exactly as I want it. Maybe someone else may also find it useful.

var_equal "TalkOver" 1 ? set "TalkOver" 0 & repeat_start 'fadevolume' 0ms & volume 100% ? & mic off & repeat_stop 'fadevolume' : volume +2% : mic on & set "TalkOver" 1 & repeat_start 'fadevolume' 0ms & volume 40% ? repeat_stop 'fadevolume' : volume -2%

Same button fade in/out-on/off microphone control. The delay for me did not seem to be very critical weather it was set at 0ms or at 10ms or at 20ms. Seems to produce about the same timing. The volume percentage though seems to be pretty critical.

Helped me a lot! Thanks

Posted Thu 26 Mar 20 @ 12:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)