Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Virtual dj not reading external hard drive - Page: 1
I have recently went from a PC to a Mac. When I try to search for songs on the virtual dj search bar it is not searching through my external hard drive that I have connected to my Mac ?? When I had my PC and when I went onto the search bar it would pull up all kinds of songs from my external hard drive. I am set up with my Mac laptop and a monitor next to it with my virtual dj on the monitor. I also do not see my Itunes playlist anymore on virtual dj ???? Can someone help out with this ???

Thank you

Posted Sun 06 May 18 @ 12:24 pm
If your external drive is one that you previously used with your PC, maybe it's in a format that the Mac can't read.

Posted Sun 06 May 18 @ 12:45 pm
Normally Mac's can read PC formatted drives, but, they can't write to them.

I have the Paragon plugin on my Mac that enables reading & writing to NTFS drives. I've used it for 8 years with no problems.

Find it here

Posted Sun 06 May 18 @ 3:53 pm
Hello,

So if I install this onto my Mac you are saying that my virtual dj search bar will then search through my passport external for songs ??

Posted Wed 09 May 18 @ 3:31 am
No. Your Mac should be able to READ your external hard drive without this plugin.

What this plugin does is allow you to WRITE to your external hard drive IF it is formatted NTFS.

Without running any software, plugging in your external hard drive should have an icon show up on your desktop. Does it?
If it does, then VirtualDJ should be able to 'see' it.

If it does not show an icon on the desktop then there is something wrong with the drive, USB cable or operating system.
I am using a 2Tb Passport hard drive and have done for years.

What do you mean by this statement "I am set up with my Mac laptop and a monitor next to it with my virtual dj on the monitor." ???
VirtualDJ should be on your laptop screen.

Posted Wed 09 May 18 @ 4:26 am
I am also using a 2 TB passport external hard drive. What I meant by the statement is that I have a 22" monitor set up next to my Mac laptop with a HDMI cable. I put my virtual dj skin on my monitor screen. I use my laptop screen to have itunes and also to look through my passport external. I can drag and drop songs from my laptop screen over to my monitor screen with virtual dj on it. This is also what I did before I got the Mac with my PC. When I went in the search bar of virtual dj it could always bring up songs from my passport.

Also when I switched to the Mac my itunes playlists are not even showing up on my virtual dj ????? I'm not sure whats going on here, but mabe its a setting or something easy that Im over seeing. I have been very frusturated since the switch....

Posted Thu 10 May 18 @ 3:20 am
I still can't figure out how or why you are using VDJ with this external screen.

Personally, I would go back to basics by disconnecting the external monitor screen. Then connect your external HD to your Mac, wait a few seconds, does it show an icon on the Mac screen? If it does then start VDJ, check in the left column of the browser at the top you should have Local Music/Volumes/My Passport (or My Passport Ultra) along with your main hard drive volume.

Click on My Passport and you should get a list of all the folders on the external HD. Whatever folder you have your music database under (mine is Music Database), right click (2 finger press on the mouse pad) and from the menu that appears, Batch/Add To Search DB. You should then be able to use the search box and get your results from your external HD.

Posted Thu 10 May 18 @ 8:03 am
Thank you,

Yes, My passport does show up on my mac and also on VDJ on the side like you said, but when I go to the search bar on VDJ to look for songs for some reason it is not showing any results which is weird because it is on the left side of the column like you said. I will try those couple of steps and I will let you know if this works....

Thank you

Posted Thu 10 May 18 @ 6:05 pm
kdawg246 wrote :
Thank you,

Yes, My passport does show up on my mac and also on VDJ on the side like you said, but when I go to the search bar on VDJ to look for songs for some reason it is not showing any results which is weird because it is on the left side of the column like you said. I will try those couple of steps and I will let you know if this works....

Thank you

have you added the files to the database?

Posted Thu 10 May 18 @ 6:57 pm
UPDATE:

Everything is now good. Everything now shows up on my VDJ search bar. I appreciate all of your tips....

Thank You !!

Posted Tue 15 May 18 @ 3:56 am
I just reloaded software on my mac and it see my hard drive VDJ sees it but won't open it. Any suggestions would help please thanks.

Posted Wed 10 Jun 20 @ 9:40 pm
Why I can't see my song on drive? how can enable drive?

Posted Fri 14 May 21 @ 12:51 pm
user13335030 wrote :
Why I can't see my song on drive? how can enable drive?

If on mac, you might have to add folder permissions.
Or just give VDJ full access...

Posted Fri 14 May 21 @ 1:23 pm
Click on the dot on the left hand side search bar and ensure that show local drives is selected. That was my problem.

Posted Tue 11 Jan 22 @ 5:50 pm
I just purchased a part port hard drive for a MacBook, it tells me I can’t use it with the Apple version of virtual dj. Why is that

Posted Thu 17 Nov 22 @ 1:01 pm
What are you being told by what?

Posted Thu 17 Nov 22 @ 1:02 pm
Morning
I recently purchased a macbook air.
I had a windows laptop previously with virtual DJ on it.
All my music is on an external hard drive, which played fine on PC.
The hard drive is recognised on Macbook on desktop, the files open and music files play.
When running virtual DJ, I can see the hard drive on left hand side.
But unable to open it and see files?
Ive tried all the above, but no luck?
Sees my drive as "My Passport"
Also says not available in Appstore edition?
Can that be turned off? Never said that on windows edition.
Any help be grateful
Thanks

Posted Thu 12 Jan 23 @ 10:10 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Posted Thu 12 Jan 23 @ 3:01 pm
Will try, guessing mac os option?

Posted Thu 12 Jan 23 @ 4:04 pm
Thank you so much, It works now.
All the best Smudger

Posted Thu 12 Jan 23 @ 4:10 pm
95%