Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Ability to BPM 3/4 time (Waltz

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

clc54PRO InfinityMember since 2015
Is there any way to get an accurate BPM of a 3--4 beat pattern. Example Waltz or V Waltz.
Thanks

Posted Fri 23 Feb 18 @ 6:03 pm
BPM (Beats Per Minute) is the same no matter what the time signature of a song is.
What's different, is the placement of the Primary beats (Count on nr 1) on the Beat Grid and the MPM (Measures Per Minute)
Currently the CBG will display the primary beats correctly only for 4/4 tracks. That's true.
MPM is not used by VirtualDj or any Dj application I'm aware off.

There IS a way to calculate the MPM and even show the measure count on VirtualDJ, but you will have to manually "instruct" the software for the time signature of the song in order to get the results you want.

I understand that most likely that's for a dance school ?
I don't think mixing tracks (even in odd time signatures) requires anything further than correct BPM and detecting the primary beat by ear...
I mix frequently some popular Greek music that's written in 9/8 time signature. I never had any issues mixing it just by using BPM and locating the primary beat by ear and not visually on the CBG.

Posted Mon 26 Feb 18 @ 11:13 am
Thanks for the information,

My company is currently in a design phase of putting together sound systems for Ballroom Dance studios through out the USA.
WE were going to propose that as part of the design we would recommend that the player of preference would be VDJ, because of the strength and reliability of the platform and capability of streaming audio plus from local libraries, libvrary indexing, and numbers of players,

We are currently putting together nearly 500 studios who are looking at our streaming services, and their own libraries, AND Waltz and V Waltz are both critical beginner types of dance instruction.
It is strictly tempo controlled and checked during practice and then at the competitions which we provide music services too.
SO
Yes there are nearly 350 dance competitions just in the USA depending on the MPM function of a beat counter. Which they do not have so all is counted manually with stop watch. SEE OUR NEED.
But what is more is the number of studios hurting for this capability in their software.
IT exists no where that I know of at this time. But is a major stumbling block for the formal dance industry with not just ballroom but also CW, Modern and several others.

Our streaming services, along with studio libraries has been growing at about 15 percent every couple of months, and soon this problem will have to be addressed,

DO you think it could get any ground knowing that the potential for Pro Licensing would be that significant.

Over 5000 studios in just the USA, We are hoping for 12 percent penetration this year and increases each year, BUT WE NEED A PLAYER That can do this as easily as the 4 count system in VDJ with TAP works now.

Thanks for listening.

Posted Tue 27 Feb 18 @ 10:46 am
Also this is not for mixing of songs but for the viewing and checking of TEMPO only, it is not to hook songs together or even mix them together, It is simply to determine if they are at the right speed.

the 4/4 system works very well for all songs under that signature.

Posted Tue 27 Feb 18 @ 10:50 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Private messaged.

Posted Tue 27 Feb 18 @ 12:49 pm
I am interested in this as well. More for looping songs for formal introductions than anything else.

Posted Tue 27 Feb 18 @ 5:39 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Looping is easy just use the loop script with the corresponding number of beats, like a waltz use the script

loop 12
or multiples there of.

Posted Tue 27 Feb 18 @ 6:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)