Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Graphics card "Geforce GTX 1060 (Inactive)" when using virtual dj

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

just wondering

i noticed an icon saying my graphics card is 'inactive' when im using virtual dj
i never noticed this before, this would suggest that the dedicated graphics card is not in use when im using virtual dj, i am also geting a little bit of lag in some of the video playback lately, unsure if there is a connection.

is this correct? thought VDJ would be utilizing my dedicated graphics card?

by the way, when i use my video editing programs, the status of the graphics card changes, it says its in use by 1 program.

EDIT: i just checked in the settings menu and the video driver is : Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Posted Wed 07 Feb 18 @ 7:11 pm
Go to configurations, options & tweaks in VDJ. Type video into the search, what video card does it say it's using for videoDriver?

Posted Wed 07 Feb 18 @ 7:38 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
If you right-click on the VirtualDJ desktop icon , you should get an option to run with the NVidia processor. The NVidia control panel should also provide the ability to add VDJ to the list of applications that use the NVidia processor , without having to right-click

Posted Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 3:58 am
djdad wrote :
If you right-click on the VirtualDJ desktop icon , you should get an option to run with the NVidia processor. The NVidia control panel should also provide the ability to add VDJ to the list of applications that use the NVidia processor , without having to right-click

ok, yeah this works !

i presume this is what i should be doing for optimum performance right?

everything seems to play back pretty nice now, on initial tests

Posted Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 3:36 pm
djdonnPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I have an MSI GT-70-895 Dominator with 2 video cards: Intel Graphics and NVidia GTX870M and 3GB video memory. I was told by an MSI tech that the NVidia video card does not output to the 2nd display; that only the computer's onboard display can use the NVidia card. I notice no difference in 2nd display video quality by adding the VDJ application to the NVidia control panel.

Posted Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 4:38 pm
gabycorreaPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2010
djdonn wrote :
I have an MSI GT-70-895 Dominator with 2 video cards: Intel Graphics and NVidia GTX870M and 3GB video memory. I was told by an MSI tech that the NVidia video card does not output to the 2nd display; that only the computer's onboard display can use the NVidia card. I notice no difference in 2nd display video quality by adding the VDJ application to the NVidia control panel.

what you mention is very interesting
I have the same problem
Could someone explain why this happens?
Two years ago I can only use Intel HD 4400
the nvidia does not work with vdj
It would be good if someone from the team would support usto be able to solve this problem.it has been crawling for some time it
does not make sense to spend on hardwareif you can not take advantage of it

msi gp 70 leopard
Processor: INTEL Core i5-4200M + HM86 2.5 Ghz.
Chispet: Intel HM86.
INTEL hd 4400
NVIDIA GeForce 840M 2GB VRAM DDR3
Memory: 16 GB DDR3.
Hard disk: 128gb SSD + 1TB.

Posted Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 7:23 pm
That's the hardware design of the machine. Nothing to do with NVidia or VDJ. The machine is not designed to output the nvidia graphics to the external display. It doesn't really matter. The 2nd display output seems powerful enough to play most any size HD video.

Posted Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 7:25 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Not sure where you got that information from then, it will simply use the card you selected.
For Intel/Nvidia combination you simply select in the nvidia control panel which programs will use the nvidia.

Posted Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 7:45 pm
Adion wrote :
Not sure where you got that information from then, it will simply use the card you selected.
For Intel/Nvidia combination you simply select in the nvidia control panel which programs will use the nvidia.

I got the information directly from the computer manufacturer, MSI. I didn't believe it either, but just because you can select the NVidia card in the NVidia control panel doesn't mean the output of the NVidia card is going out to the 2nd display. And just because you select the nvidia card in VDJ doesn't mean it's going out to the 2nd display. I can't tell the difference in video quality on the 2nd display with either video card selected through VDJ.

Posted Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 8:10 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Technically it's indeed so that the outputs (both the secondary screen outputs and the laptop screen itself) are connected to the integrated intel gpu.
But that's not really the point.
When you select the Nvidia the Nvidia will do the work, and then pass it to the intel to put on the output.

In terms of quality there shouldn't be any difference. The difference is in the performance.
So if the output is not as smooth as it could that may be because the integrated gpu is not fast enough for your needs.

Posted Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 9:32 pm
Adion wrote :
Technically it's indeed so that the outputs (both the secondary screen outputs and the laptop screen itself) are connected to the integrated intel gpu.
But that's not really the point.
When you select the Nvidia the Nvidia will do the work, and then pass it to the intel to put on the output.

In terms of quality there shouldn't be any difference. The difference is in the performance.
So if the output is not as smooth as it could that may be because the integrated gpu is not fast enough for your needs.

NVIDIA PhysX System Software????
Does this mean something?
in the nvidia control panel this option appears

Posted Fri 09 Feb 18 @ 12:33 am
Adion could you explain ???
sorry for my bad english
the videos 1920 x 1080 do not run fluids
is a laptop gamer should run them well
but it does not, the physx system has to do with this ???
I have the triple boofer activated in the control of the nvidia panel

Posted Fri 09 Feb 18 @ 1:53 am
First I would not want a laptop unless they figure this crap out. Not exactly knowing but seems like a poor design for any computer especially one that has been tagged as a gaming computer... I think gaming is mostly just a word to sell computers these days and lacks meaning. So the following is just stuff that came into play when I was reading some articles.

please answer a couple questions first gaby.

1) what versions of windows?

2) is your video display monitor connected to your HDMI or VGA port (assuming is has both :) ?

I think your computer is using NVIDIA Optimus. As I understand it, it will automatically switch between the Intel gpu and NVIDIA gpu based on needs for performance, batter life, and possibly other things. I think you can turn that off.

physx is more about physics (math) for game play and should not come into play, Probably no help for video play back but can't say for sure. A program has to explicitly use physx and that would be some games that have adopted it.

Posted Fri 09 Feb 18 @ 5:14 am
I'm using w7
and connected to the projector via vga. thanks for answering Don

Posted Fri 09 Feb 18 @ 5:41 am
As I understand it, if you connect to the HDMI port, it will automatically use the NVIDIA gpu... Just one of things I read. Use an HDMI to VGA adapter if you need to but would be good to test this.

Under windows 7, are you using an aero theme? If you are not, change to an aero theme and test that. When doing so, also choose window color at the bottom of the personalization dialog and uncheck enable transparency if it is checked. Turning on an aero theme will turn on hardware display acceleration and help with vertical sync and can help with performance. Triple buffering works in tandem with vertical sync. If aero is not on, probably not doing any good unless... won't say just now...

Try these things and then more later.

Posted Fri 09 Feb 18 @ 5:54 am
ok i'm going to try ...
maybe my mistake is to have the desk in basic I will activate the aero as you say thanks for the tips
best regards

Posted Fri 09 Feb 18 @ 6:11 am
Also, be sure to try the HDMI port when you get around to it. Could be it will be a combination of things to make it work the best.

Posted Fri 09 Feb 18 @ 6:21 am
Hi dear friends. Someone knows how to switch between graphic cards in Mac version? I have a MacBook Pro 15" Mid-2012 with Intel HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M. The software always uses the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M and I'd like to use the Intel HD Graphics 4000. Thank you in advance.

Posted Mon 15 Jun 20 @ 3:18 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)