Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Controllers with DVS.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

WOnder why companies most put dvs in those hulking controllers, btu why not in the smaller 2channel models that would fit better in between cds/turntables? Vestax was the only company to really embrace dvs.

Posted Fri 19 Jan 18 @ 12:15 am
938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I could think of 2 reasons and these are just my personal opinions...

Business (especially for the ones with DVS on channels 1&2 only) they give the options for the folks who don’t own a DVS mixer or controller yet to buy their controller instead of a mixer... buy one turntable or CDJ and they’ll get the DVS experience.

DVS on decks 3&4 (i.e. SZ) they try to get you into physical 4decks action.

But most folks (like me) who’ve experienced 3 piece set up of for a long time don’t even bother using the DVS features on a controller. Nothing can beat the real thing... sound quality and response of the DVS on a pro-mixer or soundcards like the SL boxes.

Posted Fri 19 Jan 18 @ 6:32 am
I'd love to start seeing more mixers hit the market like the S9, Rane 72, Mixars Duo, Z2, etc. Essentially, all the pad controls (looping, hot cues, effects, slicer, sampler, etc) of a controller, is Time Code ready, fully mappable, and be used like a controller but without the jog wheels. There's so many of us who use Time Code and currently own TT's or CDJ's. Having a mixer that gives the controller feeling but takes up small footprints and allows us to use a traditional mixer with our TC platforms would be great!

But unfortunately, I think the market see's TC as dinosaur technology and figures more people will want an actual controller versus the traditional mixer and TT/CDJ set up.

Posted Fri 19 Jan 18 @ 1:16 pm
I don’t know how the ratio would be but we’ll surely see more mixers and controllers coming out in the future.

The typical scenario...

Newbies who started with entry level controller will upgrade from intermmediate to pro... and eventually will aspire to get 3pc set up.

Long time 3pc set up users will downsize for comfort and mobility.

Owner’s of both tend to upgrade if the features offered on new units is a big leap from what they have.

Business is Good for hardware and software companies.

Especially now that everybody is a DJ.

Posted Fri 19 Jan 18 @ 9:39 pm
938MyDJ wrote :

Nothing can beat the real thing... sound quality and response of the DVS on a pro-mixer or soundcards like the SL boxes.

Not a completely true statement.
Sound quality and response are equal to other digital devices from the manufacturer. They will use the same A/D converters
Example Rane could take the 72 and make it a fullsize controller by just adding jogs and sound will be the same.

Posted Sat 20 Jan 18 @ 2:50 pm
I’m speaking from personal experience...
I am totally satisfied with the sound quality of my SZ both in the club and mobile gigs.

But I could still feel the difference when I play my DJM-2000NXS, DJM-900SRT, and DJM-S9 with my CDJ2000NXS/1200s.

But I can agree with you if the comparison is against other brand.

Because I sound crispier and clearer than the in-house DJM-900NXS2 with my Roland DJ-808 in the club... exact same settings on the PA at infinity and EQs both at 12 o’clock.

Is it because my buddy is using Windows with VDJ and I’m using Mac with SDJ... I don’t know?

I haven’t use that in-house mixer yet but out of curiosity, one of these days I will do a test the other way around.

Posted Sun 21 Jan 18 @ 7:43 pm
If In Music keeps buying up everything, pretty much everything will eventually start to look, sound and work the same exact way. lol There will be In Music and Pioneer only.

Posted Mon 22 Jan 18 @ 2:15 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)