Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Songs suddenly pausing for a second with out a reason.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

JR732ControlleristMember since 2011
Hello everyone,
I'm running Virtual dj 8 on my new Pioneer DDJ-SR2 controller and for some reason there are songs that paused for a quick second while playing and then continue playing.. This make me really nervous while djing at an event.

Does any body know what might be causing this problem?

Thank you,

John R.

Posted Thu 18 Jan 18 @ 3:22 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
First thing i would try would be to replace the USB cable with a new one. The exact same thing has happened to me with a different unit.
But there could be other things as well, so worth trying ...
- With the controller connected to your computer, set your computer's builtin sound card as default playback device , instead of the Pioneer (if set that way)
- Increase the latency (either from the Pioneer Utilities if you are using its AUDIO drivers, or from the Latency setting in VDJ Options if not)
- Optimize your computer for best performance (Mac / PC)

Posted Thu 18 Jan 18 @ 10:52 am
I agree with DJDad...
- I had a failing Stanton controller that caused all sorts of playback havoc. Easy to diagnose by disconnecting the controller and using a computer sound interface.
- A failing or loose USB cable could be disconnecting the controller in fractional time segments.
- I also had an issue with using an external 2.5 inch USB spinning drive as my music source. It would periodically spin down on me. After switching to an SDXC card, life was good again. I have since upgraded my internal SSD to handle the music store. No more accidental SD ejection, and faster IO!
- Keep an eye on the CPU resources. If the percentage meter in the top left of VDJ keeps maxing out, something is running and taking your CPU for a ride.

Good luck on finding out what your cause is!

Posted Thu 18 Jan 18 @ 11:54 pm
JR732ControlleristMember since 2011
Thank you so much guys for the suggestions, I'm going to keep them in mind.

Since my laptop is brand new it keeps on trying to do updates all the time so I turned the WiFi off and seems that took care of it.

Thanks again!

Posted Tue 23 Jan 18 @ 2:58 am
JR732, that really narrows things to Internet access. Something wants to keep tabs that requires 'connecting to home'. It could be system updates, as you pointed out. It could be a natural function of some program you have installed, including something you didn't realize did. Killing your Internet connection (through Wi-Fi in your case) stopped everything.

If you get a chance to drill down deeper, look at browser add-ons and extensions. You might want to run something like Malwarebytes to see if some Potentially Unwanted Program (called PUP) got installed with something you may have loaded. A lot of free software will fall into this category.

Anyway, here's to uninterrupted music sessions!

Posted Mon 29 Jan 18 @ 8:38 pm
JR732 wrote :
Hello everyone,
I'm running Virtual dj 8 on my new Pioneer DDJ-SR2 controller and for some reason there are songs that paused for a quick second while playing and then continue playing.. This make me really nervous while djing at an event.

Does any body know what might be causing this problem?

Thank you,

John R.

I have the same controller and same issue. Thought it might have been the controller so I swapped it out with a new one. Thought problem was fixed but started to pause again...few seconds then it would start again. However, my other pioneer controller never did this with the same computer. Leads me to believe it is an issue with VDJ and this particular controller. Run mine with a newer HP laptop. Love the newer pioneer controller but have an upcoming party at my house and fear using it. Will probably just run my pioneer DDJSB2. It never did this.
Adjusted latency as directed but it will still pause at sporadic times....

Posted Tue 30 Jan 18 @ 4:31 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)