Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Spectre and Meltdown might affect your computer in a bad way

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/01/intel-meltdown-processor-security-flaw-what-you-need-to-know/

Quote :
Will the fix slow down my computer?

It’s been reported that the system updates required to address the Intel chip issue could potentially slow down a computer’s operating speed by as much as 30%. If this proves to be true – and if it’s unavoidable – then this could make a dramatic difference to the day-to-day use of your computer.

30% is a lot and could potentially hurt DJ performances.

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 2:02 pm
I use an MSI Gaming laptop with intel chip, got the patch for it last week, if anything my laptop is either quicker or there's no difference

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 2:08 pm
Unless you are running a very low spec or old chip I can't see this making a hell of a lot of difference. My GPD pocket runs an Atom chip and the CPU load under VDJ running full HD video out is around 20%

A good lot of people won't get the updates anyway .... I certainly have my Windows updates on both 7 & 10 permanently off.

The chances of this flaw being exploited and attacking your machine is one in millions.

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 2:20 pm
Right, it is a small chance but there will always be those people who update and then write posts on here saying they did an update and now their computer is slow as hell. So prepare for it. lol

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 4:06 pm
I had an update yesterday, but I'm not sure if this was the fix for that problem or not, as usually, the big updates come out on Tuesday. I can't tell any difference, my laptops seem to be running as fast as before. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though!

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 11:09 pm
***removed***

EDIT: nvm I run AMD :p

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 11:19 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Pray that never ever spectre will reach a critical mass.

Meltdown is Bad, but spectre is hell.

If you want to secure a system, literally evey app whatsoever has to be recompiled.

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 11:24 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Amd is affected too.

AMD is not vulnerable to meltdown, but to spectre.

Posted Sat 06 Jan 18 @ 9:18 am
I thought James killed Spectre?

Posted Sat 06 Jan 18 @ 9:26 am
no, cause if he did then the franchise wouldn't have it's nemesis

and more importantly we wouldn't have new Bond girls!

Posted Sat 06 Jan 18 @ 2:04 pm
Spectre's on TV again today in the UK, so I'll be watching it later. No spoilers please!

Posted Sat 06 Jan 18 @ 3:25 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)