Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: search trouble - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

do you have SearchInDB set to yes in options?

didn't see that mentioned anywhere yet

Posted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 10:33 pm
You are all very kind for trying to help me.

@WickedMix: Yes, both SearchInFolder and SearchInDB are set to "yes"...
I've also tried both settings (yes and no) for autoSearchDB, with no difference.

Posted Thu 14 Dec 17 @ 10:52 pm
Another problem I am having - which now seems related - concerns auto-gain.

About a month ago I changed the settings from auto to auto+remember. I noticed, however, that VDJ wasn't remembering my gain adjustments. I just did a test and as I suspected the results are the same: when I change the gain of a song and load that same song on the other deck, it will have the new gain. But when i restart VDJ, the gain will be normal again.

In short: my problem seems to be that VDJ is resetting its database changes at startup...

I reviewed all settings but could not identify any culprit related to this problem. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this behaviour?

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 7:47 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Are you running VDJ as administrator? If so, try it as non admin.

And check if your current user has all rights to write/ read etc. on the database file and folder.

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 8:42 am
I'm not running VDJ as administrator. I checked and even running it as administrator, the problem persists.

I have a tweak "installed" that adds a link to the context menu to "Take Ownership" with an administrator symbol. I used that on all VDJ and music folders.

I don't think it is a write problem: VDJ writes the settings just fine. It's just that when (closing and re-)starting the software, it resets the database file to its previous (default?) state...

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 9:00 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Very strange... If you add new tracks to the DB, do they get saved or do they disappear from the db file after a restart?
Do you have any other tools that could "freeze" your hdd or even a single folder and reset all changes?

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 9:12 am
I just duplicated a song in the windows explorer (windows added "- copy" to the file name) and the song appeared in the browser. I closed VDJ and checked: the song also appeared in the database file. I restarted VDJ and the song was still there in the browser. I closed VDJ again and the song was also still present in the database file..

I have no tools or tweaks installed or activated to restrict access (or completely lock) files, folders or drives.

Also: I added folders as favorites, and VDJ correctly adds the corresponding entries (files) in the "folders" folder and remembers the favorites.

The only thing that seems to be causing trouble is VDJ itself: for some reason it's resetting any changes made (which it does without any problem) to the database. I don't think the problem lies with the database: the database.xml is not write-protected and I have taken ownership of it...

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 9:25 am
Settings (and various other files) gets saved inside Documents\VirtualDJ folder on your C: drive.

However, your database for your external hard drive is stored on D:\VirtualDJ folder.

Therefore:
Make sure that "Everyone" security group has read/write access rights on that folder (NTFS permissions). Also make sure that the "database.xml" file itself is not set as read only

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 9:51 am
And another question: When was the last time you reboot/shut down your PC ? (not sleep or hibernate e.t.c.)

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 9:54 am
Already done, Phantom (see above). Plus: "Full Control" for ALL users of the data (music) and system (program) folders.
I always shut down, never sleep or hibernate (is disabled).

BTW: D:\ is my data drive where the music is stored. It's a partition on the only SSD I have installed in my laptop. C:\ is the other partition on that same drive.

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 10:04 am
Just out of curiosity:
Bring up Task Manager, switch it to advanced view and check the "Background Processes"
Is VirtualDJ running there?

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 10:07 am
Nope. VDJ is running as an app, but does not appear in the background processes. Should it?

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 10:24 am
I think what phantom was trying to see is if it was still running after you close it sometimes if you have 2 instances running it does weird things .

are you only getting this behavior on one computer or multiple computers.

have you tried the renaming of settings.xml to see if that would help? I know it has helped solve many weird issues in the past.

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 11:18 am
No, no duplicate instances running.

I have only my laptop now, no other computers.

I just tried renaming the settings.xml (and afterwards also tried renaming the D drive database.xml, just in case it was corrupted somehow) but the problem persists.

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 11:40 am
I noticed something new (I suppose as an effect of everything I've tried, changed, and done, to solve the problem): when I search, now the browser will display results (before it was completely empty), though ONLY from the loaded folder or playlist, not from the whole database (all music folders)...

Still hoping to resolve this issue...

Since this seems to be an issue with the VDJ software itself (resetting the database), should I report this as a possible bug?

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 12:58 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
VirtualDJ does not have any backup of the database to revert the changes from though.
Perhaps some backup software or cloud drive running that may revert the files?

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 2:08 pm
Sorry, but no, no backup software or cloud storage. I just also disabled Windows Defender, just in case. The only program installed on this dedicated laptop is VDJ. And it really is VDJ reverting to the previous values in the database at startup... This laptop has no Internet connection and is a virus-free new install. I also let Windows check the drives, to make sure they weren't corrupted in any way.

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 2:26 pm
How about this for a mystery: I just had an idea and tried it out: making the database.xml read-only AFTER adding all the music folders to the search database. I started VDJ up and closed it again: the 64 value had not been changed (logically, because now the file is write-protected). But the funny thing was that, in spite of the values being 64, VDJ could NOT find anything (genre, title, artist) through search, except for those in the selected (in the browser opened) folder...

So I made the database.xml file writable again. And guess what? VDJ does NOT reset the values anymore!!! But still doesn't find anything outside of the in the browser opened folder.

I think a possible clue as to the reason of this strange behaviour could be the fact that I need to open a folder in the browser for the search function to work on the files in that folder. So I did another test: I did not add anything to the search database, but I did open all my music folders, one after the other, and THEN did a search: results came up from all folders!!!

Does this by any chance narrow the culprit down for you, Adion?

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 2:56 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If the database on D is read only, it might be writing changes to the C drive.
Still didn't see any explanation of how files could be removed from search on startup though...

Btw, to be sure, which build of virtualdj are you using?

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 3:09 pm
You're right! VDJ created a database.xml in the program folder.

Just to be clear: VDJ isn't resetting the database.xml anymore.

I'm now using v8.2 b3994 (one of the many things I did to try and find a solution: I had a previous version installed before).

So I did another test: I deleted database.xml on the C and D drives. A new database was created on D and the Flag values were all 64 and are not changed anymore.

As I said, I narrowed it down to the opened folder:

If I close VDJ with a certain folder open and then open VDJ again, it will again have that folder open (which is the default behaviour, I believe) and search results are only from that certain folder. If I open another folder in the browser, then the search results come from both opened folders, if I open yet another folder, then results come from all three folders, and so forth.

Posted Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 3:49 pm
83%